Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

Has anybody here ever had any success with getting game used equipment at games (during the regular season)? I thought that asking the bat boys was the best way but someone told me that the player's are the right people to ask instead of the bat boys. Does anybody know if this is true?

Re: Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

When I was 14, I went to a White Sox game at old Comiskey Park in 1984.

Anyway, Scott Fletcher the Shortstop came up to sign autographs and I asked him if I could have a bat. I even offered him $20 for one of his bats. Hey $20 is a lot of money to a 14 year old! Anyway, he politely refused but still signed my card. I'm sure now I could buy a game used Fletcher bat on ebay for $20.

I still have the autographed card by the way.

I have never asked but I know people who have and have gotten stuff. I have gotten game worn wristbands from college football players, including one that I am friends with. They're very cool collectibles.

Good luck,

Tim

Back in the mid 1980's I used to attend St. Louis Cardinals games on a regular basis. One series against the Mets a friend and I were talking to the Mets Equipment Manager, his name was Charlie if I remember correctly and we told him we could fix him up with one of the ushers that he had taking a liking to. We asked him for a couple of bats and next thing I know two bats are being given to me. I didn't even look as I got them and I handed the first one to my friend, a Wally Backman gamer. The second one which I had was well the best you could have gotten back then, Darryl Strawberry. Boy was my friend pissed. They were both great looking with a ton of use on both. I'm sure now the Strawberry isn't worth much more than the Backman. It turned out the usher wouldn't go out with him, but hey we did get a couple of nice bats, at least we thought back then.

Being such a Big Devil Rays HONK that I am I go to all their games when they play the twins and over the last 3 years I have gotten these

Jonny goems game used batting gloves
    Julio Lugo game used hat
    Jorge cantu game used hat
    Tino Martinez game used batting gloves
    and Every year that I go I bring about 20 game used jersey cards and I usually leave witha bout 18 of them signed

At Bucs games I got
    Shelton Quarles game used Glove
    Jermaine Phillips game used gloves
    josh bidwell game used wristband
    Tim Rattay's game worn hat from the sidelines

I got a bat from Nick Esasky and a batting glove from Darryl Strawberry. Neither really fit into my collection anymore, but I'll always keep them.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

It is challenging to get stuff from players at games but heres some tips

You can always stand with everyone trying to get auto's get one, and then try and start a convo and at some point slip in at some point how big of a fan you are and if they have any extra batting gloves or cracked bats or anything you'd love that.

2nd after alot of players break bats they give them away, either right after the game or when walking back to the dugout. So you can take note when a player breaks a bat during a game and then afterwards holler at them by name and ask for it.

Carrying on conversations is always the best though some players would give u the shirt off their back and some players wont even give u a smile just gotta find those fan friendly type guys and go for it... Of course this is REALLY easy in my opinion at minor league games and players and alot harder at the Major League level...

Hope this helps good luck.

Direct From Player

Shea hillebrand game used and signed bat @ fenway
    Bichette Game used and signed bat @ fenway
    lou merloni Game used and signed bat @ fenway

All 2001 season 3 days in a row.

Has anyone ever gotten anything in Oakland? Ricardo
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com