Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

Has anybody here ever had any success with getting game used equipment at games (during the regular season)? I thought that asking the bat boys was the best way but someone told me that the player's are the right people to ask instead of the bat boys. Does anybody know if this is true?

Re: Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

When I was 14, I went to a White Sox game at old Comiskey Park in 1984.

Anyway, Scott Fletcher the Shortstop came up to sign autographs and I asked him if I could have a bat. I even offered him $20 for one of his bats. Hey $20 is a lot of money to a 14 year old! Anyway, he politely refused but still signed my card. I'm sure now I could buy a game used Fletcher bat on ebay for $20.

I still have the autographed card by the way.

I have never asked but I know people who have and have gotten stuff. I have gotten game worn wristbands from college football players, including one that I am friends with. They're very cool collectibles.

Good luck,

Tim

Back in the mid 1980's I used to attend St. Louis Cardinals games on a regular basis. One series against the Mets a friend and I were talking to the Mets Equipment Manager, his name was Charlie if I remember correctly and we told him we could fix him up with one of the ushers that he had taking a liking to. We asked him for a couple of bats and next thing I know two bats are being given to me. I didn't even look as I got them and I handed the first one to my friend, a Wally Backman gamer. The second one which I had was well the best you could have gotten back then, Darryl Strawberry. Boy was my friend pissed. They were both great looking with a ton of use on both. I'm sure now the Strawberry isn't worth much more than the Backman. It turned out the usher wouldn't go out with him, but hey we did get a couple of nice bats, at least we thought back then.

Being such a Big Devil Rays HONK that I am I go to all their games when they play the twins and over the last 3 years I have gotten these

Jonny goems game used batting gloves
    Julio Lugo game used hat
    Jorge cantu game used hat
    Tino Martinez game used batting gloves
    and Every year that I go I bring about 20 game used jersey cards and I usually leave witha bout 18 of them signed

At Bucs games I got
    Shelton Quarles game used Glove
    Jermaine Phillips game used gloves
    josh bidwell game used wristband
    Tim Rattay's game worn hat from the sidelines

I got a bat from Nick Esasky and a batting glove from Darryl Strawberry. Neither really fit into my collection anymore, but I'll always keep them.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

How do you bring yourself to ask the player if you can have something of theres?

If I seriously wanted to get a game-used item from a player, I'd take my 20-year-old daughter to the game and let her ask.

Banned

I have gotten a few items from select players over the years at Safeco Field and at the old Kingdome.

These came from players or employees directly:

Paul Sorrento Game Bat Signed
    Jay Buhner Game Bat Signed
    John Olerud Game Bat Signed
    Dan Wilson Arm Band Signed
    Randy Winn Wristbands Signed
    Jamie Moyer Used Cleats Signed
    Norm Charlton Fielders Glove Signed ( I had some convincing to do for this one)
    Mike Cameron Game Used Jersey
    Greg Colbrun Game Used Jersey
    Mac Suzuki Game Used Jersey
    Brent Gates Game Used Jersey

Then I have some BP jerseys and stuff.

My best friend for 10 years is employed by the Mariners and has incredible access to items not usually available to the public.

Then I have a bunch of baseballs and cracked bats from various players.

The coolest thing I got was last year when Bartolo Colon was with Boston. Bartolo and Luis Alicea where chowing down on some McDonalds cheese burgers (the last thing Mr Colon needs to be honest) they had a bag full there must have been 20 of them in there. I politely asked if they had any extras (being the fat kid iam myself) and Luis muttered something in Spanish and they threw me one and laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    If I seriously wanted to get a game-used item from a player, I'd take my 20-year-old daughter to the game and let her ask.
    Now come on. Im only 22.

I guess the more I think about it. Last year at Spring Training Harold Baines was throwing balls to the kids and my boyfriend was bound and determined to get a ball. It wasnt working for him. He finally left to get food and when he came back he had found that I had a ball.

I yelled Harold, he looked at me. Then I asked for a ball. I got it. The people behind me were amazed, they thought I knew the guy personally. My boyfriend asked how I got it. He was amazed.

Girls do have more advantage for asking for items then guys do. Baseball players are so use to having guys/boys ask for autographs and what not

It works. Ill have to agree with you.