Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Muhammad Ali robe / shorts help needed

I am looking to enlist the expert knowledge of the Forum with regards to preserving this Muhammad Ali autographed robe and shorts.

A little back story first.....

I bought this robe and shorts in March of 1986 at the Willow Grove show. It's funny because as I was contemplating the purchase, the dealer was pumping my former brother in law (he was 12 at the time) with free packs of 1986 Donruss baseball cards with the promise he'd keep giving him packs until he got a Jose Canseco rookie. Anyway, I bought the robe and shorts and gave them to Dad for his birthday. My Dad passed away in 2009 and my Mom gave me his Ali robe and shorts a couple of months ago. I want to pass these items onto my son but am at a loss as to how to preserve / properly display them.

Is there some way to have these framed (I would like to have them framed separately) in a manner that would keep the robe and shorts from fading? More importantly, I want to make sure the autographs stay as bold and sharp as they are now. Does anyone have anything similar framed / preserved?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Re: Muhammad Ali robe / shorts help needed

Great piece and story.. The frame stores have special uv blocking glass they use now that should help protect it as I used that and regular plexi glass on my items..

Would you possibly be interested in selling one or both of the pieces ? If so please email me. Mjjakab@yahoo.com. Thanks

Thank you for the information. As far as selling the items, I not ready to do that. It took my Mom almost 4 years to give it to me and I completely understand why she couldn't do it sooner.

Can you give me some idea as to value? I may want explore insuring it. Thanks again for your help.

Very nice items one that in my opinion should stay in your family. Especially since it was a gift to your father whom I am sure appreciated it. Your son will one day look at this as a gift from you his Dad and cherish it.

My dad is battling with the terminal disease idiopathic pulminary fibrosis and I can understand wanting to keep them in your family.

I will say it again very nice robe and shorts. May I ask what you paid for it back in 1986? If your not comfortable i understand. I am guarded with my collection as well.

Phil

Hi Phil -

Thanks for the kind words and words of wisdom. My son was very close to my Dad and I know he'll appreciate these items. I am truly sorry about your Dad's situation. Make the most of each minute.

I paid 250.00 for the robe and shorts in 1986. They came as a set. I think I worked the dealer down from 300.00.

Take care.

Jeff

Banned

How much would that be today?
    Sucks its not signed on the back by his name. I would maybe put it on a mannequin if you have the space that way you see front and back.
    Awesome big auto on the shorts

Wow what a bargain in 86. And I agree keep it in the family unless tuff times and need the money that's a rare and yes a very valuable piece. . I would get them authenticated and make a display..
    As he said its an awesome big signature which there are not many of and I believe there the more desired ones..

All the best with it and post pics when u display it.. I also agree if you have the room build a shadow box type display and put it on a mannequin

Banned

I'd pay $2500.00 for the pair today so it gives you an idea what they are worth to sell to an autograph dealer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I'd pay $2500.00 for the pair today so it gives you an idea what they are worth to sell to an autograph dealer.
    You can find these on eBay for 500 a piece from time to time

Half of ali stuff on ebay is 100% fake..