Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL throwback uniforms going away soon!

Interesting article for fellow NFL jersey/helmet collectors, wrt throwback memorabilia going forward:

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/th...g-of-the-past/

Re: NFL throwback uniforms going away soon!

It's disappointing news. I saw this article the other day:

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-say-...orms-20130917/

It included a statement that reads, "Once helmets are properly fitted at the beginning of the season, the league does not want them changed." I took that to mean that teams could potentially "properly fit" more than one helmet at the start of the year, but maybe not. From the content in more recent articles it appears that the league does not want players to wear more than one helmet for the season.

I understand and am all for player safety, but it would be nice to see them reach common ground here.

Banned

Seems like they could just go ahead and fit throwback/alternate helmets before the season starts.

Surely they have backup helmets. What happens if a helmet gets damaged or lost? That player has to sit out the rest of the season?

So, does that mean Trent Richardson has to wear his Browns helmet for the rest of this season???

As a Buccaneers fan and game used Bucs collector, that ticks me off.

I am happy they are not going to wear the new helmets with the old uniforms though and look rdiculous.

Yep, I saw that on ESPN this morning. Sad that we (Broncos fans) will never see the old Broncos royal D helmets again.

The Packers still plan on wearing their 1929 ACME Packers throwback uniform. To satisfy newer requirements, the Packers decal and striping will be removed from the helmets.

Uni-Watch's Paul Lucas interviewed an NFL equipment manager who requested anonymity over in his ESPN column. Per this "equipment guy" (my bet is it's the Giants equipment manager) the issue is more the older players who still use discontinued helmets like a Riddell VSR-4 or one of the old Schutt Air helmets - they can't get an identical helmet model and they don't want these guys having to play with some other helmet model for the throwback games. The quoted equipment manager specifically mentions one of his player who is clinging to a Riddell VSR-4 and they have exactly one replacement left in their storeroom for him, and when it's used then this player is going to have to switch to a modern helmet (unlike like when the Bears equipment manager had to search sporting goods stores for more of the old Wilson helmets for Walter Payton toward the end of his career).

Don't take this to the stupid level where someone who breaks a helmet has to sit out the year (actually they would only replace the shell and keep the player's padding if it was discovered after the game was over) or for a player traded to a different team. Those are necessary replacements helmet replacement. They don't marketing driven "unnecessary" replacements to cover off on 1-2 throwback games - particularly for aging stars who are maintaining their old-style helmets.

If you noticed last weeks Bears/Bills game you will see that the Bills who last year did wear a different white helmet last year (the 2012 throwback was plain molded white while the regular helmet is pearl white) just put the throwback decals on their normal white shell this year.

Banned

"They don't want unnecessary mark eating driven replacements"

Because the NFL never does anything for marketing...it's all for the love of the game! LOL

Banned

Lol you think they would want them to play with newer helmet models because they are newer and built more for safety via rules and regulations of today... Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by PAC View Post
    "They don't want unnecessary mark eating driven replacements"

Because the NFL never does anything for marketing...it's all for the love of the game! LOL
    True - but I think the concussion lawsuit settlement is trumping the extra marketing dollars. This ruling is kind of them "running scared".