Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: PELE is charging how much for a autograph?

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    So, you don't think the players are being paid to take those photographs in a posed booth? It is a common practice at all the Con's for them to charge for autographs in an autograph pavilion and for them to charge for posed professional photos in a photo booth with the player.

I don't think it's a new low - Those posed photos take more time that an autograph. No one tells the customer they cannot take a picture while the athlete is signing, but at Mounted Memories trade shows, the players are behind a table where the public cannot walk behind to take a posed photo.
    I absolutely think they are being paid for the photos too and keeping the cattle line moving for autographs is the main goal here. From the business model perspective it's a brilliant idea.

When I used to attend shows there was no photo op charge and we were able to take photos with players after he signed. Alot of great memories were captured in these photos. So from the collectors point of view getting a nice photo with your favorite player but having to pay the double for it is a new low to me.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Bottom line, if you don't pay the ridiculous prices, they'll be forced to lower them.

I have heard that sometimes the promoter pays the athlete a set fee for the appearance. So for example, if Pele were paid $30,000 to sign autographs for four hours, the promoter now needs to figure out how much to charge to make his initial investment back, and perhaps a profit when it's all said and done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

I will not pay.

It's very simple really.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    I absolutely think they are being paid for the photos too and keeping the cattle line moving for autographs is the main goal here. From the business model perspective it's a brilliant idea.

When I used to attend shows there was no photo op charge and we were able to take photos with players after he signed. Alot of great memories were captured in these photos. So from the collectors point of view getting a nice photo with your favorite player but having to pay the double for it is a new low to me.
    Last night I had an appearance with two hockey players outside Chicago. At the end of the appearance a young girl came through with a ticket and I asked her what she was getting autographed, and she said she only wanted a picture with the player.

I went into my stack and gave her an 8x10 photo to get signed by the player as I didn't want her to have to pay $15.00 for just her photo-op!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    I have heard that sometimes the promoter pays the athlete a set fee for the appearance. So for example, if Pele were paid $30,000 to sign autographs for four hours, the promoter now needs to figure out how much to charge to make his initial investment back, and perhaps a profit when it's all said and done.
    There are time deals and there are piece deals. Any athlete with a high price per signature retail is almost always a piece deal. Pele may be guaranteed a figure, say $30,000 but each autograph, each photo-op is counted and he signs and takes photos until he hits his guarantee.

http://www.nyshows.org/news-events/c...ookie-card-53/

The only photo op fee from past shows here in NY which I've noticed was one with Iron Mike Tyson. I would say if you get an animated pose like that it may be worth fee!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    http://www.nyshows.org/news-events/c...ookie-card-53/

The only photo op fee from past shows here in NY which I've noticed was one with Iron Mike Tyson. I would say if you get an animated pose like that it may be worth fee!

So you are swaying!

I'm having a hard time trying to think of anyone in the world whose autograph I want even three or four hundred dollars' worth. I can't.

I think I paid 60 for Pete Rose to sign a ball a few years ago, and that's the most I've ever spent.

At the other extreme, I got a ton of game-used baseballs signed over the summer at Arizona League and independent league games - at a cost of zero - and I have to say that it's a genuine pleasure to have to show some young player where the "sweet spot" is.

The Arizona Fall League starts in 11 days - that's where the top prospects are, and you can get their sigs (unless it's a total a*****e like Anthony Gose) for the asking.

I agree. Those prices for Pele to sign gamers are ludicrous. I think it is just flat out greed. As for Willie Mays' prices, I can understand why he charges so much; players back then never made the insane amounts of money they do now, and Willie is a legend. The photo ops thing is a good option for people who don't want autographs, but gee whizz that's a lot for just a quick pic.
    There is only ONE person I would pay several hundred for a sig...and that's JORDAN.