Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Goldin Auctions Preview Now Open

I am the person who consigned this bat to auction. It seems to me that the previous owner of the bat is insinuating that I altered the bat in some unethical way. Since I take that sort of insinuation personally, I thought I would let it be known exactly what "restoration" I performed on the bat. When I received the bat it was filthy. I gently wiped it with alcohol and then with a pea sized dot of oil. This did not remove finish, or at least not any that was still attached to the bat. I, unlike the previous owner, do not feel that there is anything wrong with allowing something to look it's best without damaging the integrity of the piece. I think of it as no different than the archival cleaning of a painting. I have no desire to get in any kind of argument over whether or not it is better or not to do this. I believe collectors can make their own personal decisions as to their collection or what they purchase. I am only informing this forum as to exactly what was done to this bat after I received it.

I would like see pre-cleaned photos of the Yaz.

What kind of dirt was on this bat which required cleaning to make it more appealing?
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

For what is worth I just viewed the bat on the auction site and looks nice with game use ,etc. Can;t even tell it was cleaned.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem if dirt or mud was cleaned off as long as game use, rack marks and pine tar remains.

Tape or tape residue I would have an issue with because if a player didnt use tape and the bat was tape that may have indicated that another player may have used it.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamurai View Post
    I am the person who consigned this bat to auction. It seems to me that the previous owner of the bat is insinuating that I altered the bat in some unethical way. Since I take that sort of insinuation personally, I thought I would let it be known exactly what "restoration" I performed on the bat. When I received the bat it was filthy. I gently wiped it with alcohol and then with a pea sized dot of oil. This did not remove finish, or at least not any that was still attached to the bat. I, unlike the previous owner, do not feel that there is anything wrong with allowing something to look it's best without damaging the integrity of the piece. I think of it as no different than the archival cleaning of a painting. I have no desire to get in any kind of argument over whether or not it is better or not to do this. I believe collectors can make their own personal decisions as to their collection or what they purchase. I am only informing this forum as to exactly what was done to this bat after I received it.
    My post wasn't to insult you at all. It's more to insult this hobby how no one would buy this bat. But after alittle lemon oil it will now be a $600+ bat.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    For what is worth I just viewed the bat on the auction site and looks nice with game use ,etc. Can;t even tell it was cleaned.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem if dirt or mud was cleaned off as long as game use, rack marks and pine tar remains.

Tape or tape residue I would have an issue with because if a player didnt use tape and the bat was tape that may have indicated that another player may have used it.
    That's not the case all the time. What if they did it after it cracked to use the bat more for bp. Plus most of the time when you remove tape and clean the residue off, you'll still be able to tell that there was tape because the wood will be lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    That's not the case all the time. What if they did it after it cracked to use the bat more for bp. Plus most of the time when you remove tape and clean the residue off, you'll still be able to tell that there was tape because the wood will be lighter.

That's true. Especially with the older bats.
    metsbats86@aol.com

It all depends on the age of the bat. I get bats from the 1920-40's all the time that have been sitting in storage that need a little loving. Linseed oil and a rag usually does the trick.

Anything post 1970 or so I usually leave alone.

Bats that are cracked and are taped by batboys etc, I have zero problem removing the tape and cleaning up the residue.

As for this bat, I think it's kind of crummy to even bring it up something that you failed to do.- clean up the bat. If you wanted to get your max dollar for the bat, clean it yourself. I don't blame the new seller at all.

That's just my opinion. Probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

What do you used to clean up tape residue?

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    Normally lemon oil will remove most of the residue.

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    Tape residue? Try goo gone, gently at first.