Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Joe Montana game used???

Hi... I am a new member to this site and am wondering if anyone could help me out with the Joe Montana game used jersey? Grey Flannel has in it's current auction. I am new to this so I do not know how to post a link but am hoping the members here can help me out as well as let me know their thoughts and opinions on this Montana gamer? I am a fan and would love to own this shirt but like all of us out there, we want to make sure it is the real thing. Thanking you all in advance for your time and help.

Re: Joe Montana game used???

Are you referring to this jersey?
    Circa 1990 Joe Montana San Francisco 49ers Game-Used Red Mesh Jersey
    Lot # 106

An eight-time Pro Bowl candidate and top ten all-time in pass attempts, completions, passing yards and passing TDs, Joe Montana set the standard of excellence for all contemporary quarterbacks. However, it is his two regular season MVP awards, three Super Bowl MVP awards, and four Super Bowl Championships that propel him into the upper echelon of elite professional athletes. On the left front tail of this home red mesh jersey is the "Wilson" manufacturer's tag with jersey size "44" flag tag. On the front, back and on both sleeves, in white tackle twill, is the number "16." On the back in a red mesh nameplate is the name "MONTANA" also in white tackle twill. This jersey shows game use and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

yes... this would be the one. Any members out there who could share their thoughts and or opinions I would really appreciate it. And thank you for posting the link.

Still waiting and hoping for members help on this one. Please, any thoughts/ opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

razor1 since no one else will take a shot at this I will. the only year this jersey could have come from is 1990 Joe didn't play in '91 due to injury and in '92 the nfl shield was on the neck and the wilson "w" was on the sleeve. that being said, and without seeing the jersey in person I'll leave you with this thought. all of the Montana jerseys that I saw in use in 1990 were a size 46. It should be noted that I didn't work the whole season in 1990 only the first half so I didn't see every single jersey worn by Montana that year.

Thanks for your reply. I just have to add this, I spoke with Bronco Hineck a few years back and he stated to me when I mentioned back then yet another Grey Flannel Montana size 46 for sale he said Montana NEVER wore a size 46 his whole time in S.F. He went on to tell me that Joe only wore a 42 and a 44 and even went back to a 42 when he went to Kansas. This is all confusing in who and what to believe so any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Lelands currently also has a '90 Montana size 46 for sale so now we have 2 jerseys from 1990 for sale with 2 different sizes. Any help is most appreciated concerning these jerseys. Thanks again,

Joe

razor1 far be it from I me to argue w/ bronco. all that I can do is point out that I used to unpack Montana's (along w/the rest of the offense) equipment bags every home game from 1985 thru the 1st half of 1990 at candlestick and during the russell period all of the jerseys that I saw were tagged 44. With the switch to Wilson 1n 1990 the jerseys that I saw were tagged 46. why bronco would say he only wore 42 and 44 I don't know but if that's his explanation by all means go with it.

maybe you can help me with this, the Lelands Montana is a size 46 with a tag with the letters ct underneath. Can you tell me what this means? Thanks again for your help in this matter. Much appreciated.

razor1 the tag you are refering to is a "date code" the "c" part refers to the year in this case 1990 the "t" refers to the month in this case june therefore you can assume that this jersey was made in june of 1990. I say assume because sometimes there is a "carryover" on tagging. for a complete breakdown of the wilson football "datecoding" you could refer to the thread on this forum in oct of this year. for wilson baseball jerseys the year codes work but the months are changed.

Ion.... wow! thanks for your help and info. It's people like you and alot of others here that make sites like this invaluable. If you have any other thoughts or opinions on either of the 2 Montana jerseys ( size 44 and 46) I would be more than happy to hear them or any other info you'd like to share would be much appreciated. Thanks again!!!