Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EBAY and game used...possible to clean up?

Every day I read posts in auction item section about bad GU on EBAY.
    Would a concerted effort with EBAY security help? I ask this because I am in occasional touch and a direct access to EBAY security fraud dept where they had previously initiated contact with me to help keep autograph items with counterfeit Score Board COAs off of EBAY.
    I have detailed knowledge of every one ever under contract for autographs, the type of items they signed, etc.

for EBAY autographs, there is a banned COA list, and 'approved' COA list (most here know this).
    Not that I will have ANY INPUT or any impact, but I could try. If there were guidelines to selling GU on EBAY, what would they be? I have my own thoughts, but am interested in hearing from the forum .

again, may be a crazy idea, but I am one of those people who when I read about something every day (and every day there is an 'ebay complaint' thread) I try to figure out if something could actually be accomplished.

Ken Goldin

Re: EBAY and game used...possible to clean up?

One way to clean it up is to educate many of the game used sellers. Educate them to the fact that most of the jerseys they are selling are so terribly overpriced that the chances of finding a serious buyer is next to none. Finding a no reserve auction for a quality piece is hard to do anymore. However, astronomical buy it nows are extremely common. For example, the 3995 Evan Gattis throwback jersey just listed. How does a serious collector even approach the seller to make a dealer when the price is just so over the top? I think ignorance and lack of knowledge about the items they are selling is prevalent among g many eBay sellers.

I have reported several sellers on there who sell fake jerseys, and the massive volume that is on there, it's hard for them to clean up. They just can't take someone's word that it's fake, they need proof. Which is why this boils over to other memorabilia and autographed items. I just bought a Vince Young "player issued" 3007 Pro Bowl jersey from there, and it's a tough one to call, if it's fake or not. The Reebok vectors on teh sleeves are legit, fully stitched like a gamer, but the NFL logo on the neck is suspicious...

Although an admirable thought/idea with good intention, what has been proposed would be a 'Herculean' task. eBay is in business to facilitate transactions, i.e., make money, and leave the (product) knowledge , honesty, integrity, etc. aspects entirely up to the seller and buyer.

I liked it back when we were able to email auction links to ebay about a bad item and they would take action. They took that away from us, and that has definitely hurt. I realize ebay puts the responsibility on the seller/buyer, but it's their website and they should be held accountable.

If the police raid my house, and find people in there doing and selling drugs, am I'm not home, am I held accountable since this is being done in my home, even though I wasn't there? Whether I'm also doing it or not?

Ok, maybe that's not a great example.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Back in the 1990s, An attorney who worked for me at score board named Pat Wujcik helped write this law.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...00&file=1739.7

If this was applied to all game used items do you think it would help?

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    Back in the 1990s, An attorney who worked for me at score board named Pat Wujcik helped write this law.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...00&file=1739.7

If this was applied to all game used items do you think it would help?
    eBay operates world-wide. Who, and how, would such a proposal be enforced?

Realistically it is not going to happen, eBay makes money tons of money from forgeries (autographs or game used). I constantly report sellers selling fakes with a homemade COA or GAI and nothing is ever done.

If something were to be done about the fakes then they would lose a ton of money, I don't see it happening. Good luck if you decide to pursue it and I would suggest looking at the autograph portion of eBay as well after.

Quote Originally Posted by sogcollector View Post
    One way to clean it up is to educate many of the game used sellers. Educate them to the fact that most of the jerseys they are selling are so terribly overpriced that the chances of finding a serious buyer is next to none. Finding a no reserve auction for a quality piece is hard to do anymore. However, astronomical buy it nows are extremely common. For example, the 3995 Evan Gattis throwback jersey just listed. How does a serious collector even approach the seller to make a dealer when the price is just so over the top? I think ignorance and lack of knowledge about the items they are selling is prevalent among g many eBay sellers.
    There isn't anything ethically wrong with someone over valuing their items, it's just annoying.

People don't list a no reserve auction for quality items bc when they do they get hosed on them. All it attracts is bottom feeders in the hobby.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Until Sports Memorablia is regulated within the industry, eBay can do the following.

1) Items with a reserve over $1000 or more should be signed off by a paid expert on eBay.
    2) Require proof of authenticity, in the form of a photo, for all items with reserve over $1000 or more.
    3) Sellers who offer opinions about their items must list their qualification for giving their opinion.
    4) eBay should have sport memorabilia professionals who oversees all items over $1000
    5) Hire Dave Miedema for Quick Opionions.

The amount I am going by is felony dollar amount in some states. Maybe a misdemeanor amount would suffice too.

otherwise just stay educated.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.