Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Banned

Cool Re: Player vs a former team

I don't think it's the case anymore, but after the Astros let him go, Jim Wynn would not sign Astros cards or photos for the remainder of his career.

Another one was former closer Randy Myers. Once a team traded him or let him go, he would decline to sign any cards from that team.

Dave Miedema

Re: Player vs a former team

I still don't get it. How does a guy think that he's hurting his old team in any way by doing that? He's only disappointing his fans. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I don't think it's the case anymore, but after the Astros let him go, Jim Wynn would not sign Astros cards or photos for the remainder of his career.

Another one was former closer Randy Myers. Once a team traded him or let him go, he would decline to sign any cards from that team.

Dave Miedema
    unrelated, Myers also would always personalize and wouldnt sign baseballs on the sweet spot

Quote Originally Posted by mdube16 View Post
    unrelated, Myers also would always personalize and wouldnt sign baseballs on the sweet spot
    Do you think most players who do that are trying to minimize the value of the items that they're signing? Why else would someone do that?

A couple of years ago, at Diamondbacks Fan Fest, there were big signs by the autograph lines stating that the players were being REQUIRED to personalize all items. (I know, it's usually the reverse, right?) As it turned out, none of the players paid the slightest attention to this bizarre rule.

I think I've only ever had one player insist on personalizing something, and, oddly enough, it was a minor leaguer. The Reno Aces were playing down in Tucson a couple of years ago, and I asked Cole Gillespie to sign a baseball for me, and he sort of insisted on putting my name on it. I thought that was kind of strange.

Banned

Cool Re: Player vs a former team

Quote Originally Posted by mdube16 View Post
    Myers was one of the quirkiest signers in recent memory. He would often date his autographs, and wouldn't sign SGA items, either.

Dave M.

Tommy Gregg hasn't signed Braves cards in years. I believe the Braves released him while injured, or something of the sort.
    Thank you,

Shaun Harr
    shaun.harr@yahoo.com
    Always look for game used anything of J.R. Towles, Ross Stripling, Tyler Naquin, and German Duran.

Banned

Ron Santo often refused to sign White Sox cards but sometimes he would break down and do it.

i have a 2003 Florida Marlins WS Poster (heavy cardboard stock) that I picked up at a Book Sale at my kid's school during the Holidays in 2003.

When the Marlins came to town the next year, they all signed it (Beckett, Cabrerra, Pierre, Willis, etc) although Beckett would not put WS MVP - his statement - 'That was last year'... I think he was on a contract...

That said, the Marlins traded Derek Lee that off-season. Every year - for the next 7 years - I would go when the Cubs came to Denver and Lee blew me off. Didn't matter if I was the only person or part of a group. If he was signing, he would see the poster, stop signing and leave.

In 2010, he came with the Cubs and blew me off, but got traded to Atlanta and came back to Denver again. All of a sudden, he went out of his way the 1st day to sign my poster 1st...

No explanation... just weird...

Doug Flynn apparently has rarely signed his 1986 Topps card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW2xI4IgbAQ

I had a Phillies Jason Werth jersey and he told me he does not sign Phillies stuff anymore.I said come on really and he just looked at me.This was a few years ago.