Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Player vs a former team

Have you ever encountered a player who refused to sign items that were associated with one of his former teams?

I asked Tommy Gregg to sign some cards the other day, and he came over as though he was going to, but then he looked at them and said, "I don't sign Braves cards any more." He wasn't rude or angry about it - he just said it very matter-of-factly, and I just said, "Oh...okay."

Makes you wonder what the team did (or didn't do) to piss somebody off that much, doesn't it?

I understand that it's the player's prerogative, but it just seems kind of silly to me. I mean, if a guy is pissed off at the Braves, for instance, how does refusing to sign his cards (or a photo) in a Braves uniform, or a Braves bat or jersey or whatever, hurt the team in any way? I really don't get it.

Re: Player vs a former team

Jason Isringhausen....
    Great guy, but did not like signing Mets photos related to Generation K, as he felt it was bad luck.

George Hendrick
    George puts on a rough exterior, but he really is a very kind and generous person. George is the current 1B coach for Tampa Bay, and he rarely rarely signs anything. He does at fan fest once a year, becuase he is required to by the team. He won't sweespot baseballs either. He will only sign St. Louis Cardinals cards. Reason is that he has a very soft spot for the franchise. Willie McGee forced him to switch positions, which he feels added 3-5 years on to his career. George states Willie is his favorite St. louis Cardinal. I saw a regular 1988 topps card of George sell for $100+, which has him in an Angels uniform. People who want card sets signed by all players, know his signed 88 topps card is painfully rare. George also did a signing in 2001 for topps archives set in a A's uniform and he donated all that money he got for it to Children's hospital.
    Former All Star, top pick for Oakland, about 2000 career hits, and had a huge 1982 World Series as well.

Brett Favre for a while would not sign Falcons mini helmets, but that has changed over the years.

Did Marcus Allen ever have an issue signing Raiders helmets?

A pal of mine is goign to a Steve Michael appearance this weekend and he is going to ask him to sign a Packers mini helmet and write "Go Bears" on it, so we will see if he does it.

Also,

Ron Kettle refuses to sign 1984 topps cards. He said he only does it for a $20 fee and it goes to a local Chicago charity. I had a friend ask him and then he pulled up his 83 topps traded XRC and Kettle was happy to sign that.

Banned

Cool Re: Player vs a former team

I don't think it's the case anymore, but after the Astros let him go, Jim Wynn would not sign Astros cards or photos for the remainder of his career.

Another one was former closer Randy Myers. Once a team traded him or let him go, he would decline to sign any cards from that team.

Dave Miedema

I still don't get it. How does a guy think that he's hurting his old team in any way by doing that? He's only disappointing his fans. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I don't think it's the case anymore, but after the Astros let him go, Jim Wynn would not sign Astros cards or photos for the remainder of his career.

Another one was former closer Randy Myers. Once a team traded him or let him go, he would decline to sign any cards from that team.

Dave Miedema
    unrelated, Myers also would always personalize and wouldnt sign baseballs on the sweet spot

Quote Originally Posted by mdube16 View Post
    unrelated, Myers also would always personalize and wouldnt sign baseballs on the sweet spot
    Do you think most players who do that are trying to minimize the value of the items that they're signing? Why else would someone do that?

A couple of years ago, at Diamondbacks Fan Fest, there were big signs by the autograph lines stating that the players were being REQUIRED to personalize all items. (I know, it's usually the reverse, right?) As it turned out, none of the players paid the slightest attention to this bizarre rule.

I think I've only ever had one player insist on personalizing something, and, oddly enough, it was a minor leaguer. The Reno Aces were playing down in Tucson a couple of years ago, and I asked Cole Gillespie to sign a baseball for me, and he sort of insisted on putting my name on it. I thought that was kind of strange.

Banned

Cool Re: Player vs a former team

Quote Originally Posted by mdube16 View Post
    Myers was one of the quirkiest signers in recent memory. He would often date his autographs, and wouldn't sign SGA items, either.

Dave M.

Tommy Gregg hasn't signed Braves cards in years. I believe the Braves released him while injured, or something of the sort.
    Thank you,

Shaun Harr
    shaun.harr@yahoo.com
    Always look for game used anything of J.R. Towles, Ross Stripling, Tyler Naquin, and German Duran.

Banned

Ron Santo often refused to sign White Sox cards but sometimes he would break down and do it.