Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Probably a touchy subject...

I, as a woman, have been collecting and seeking autographs for over 40 years. I agree with smitty and a few others on here on kids thinking they are entitled to an autograph over adults and that adults should just move out of the way so the "brats" can get theirs. And yes I call them brats..I normally let the kids go first but if they are being pushy and annoying I stand my ground. These brats have no social skills what so ever and the parents use the ballpark as a place to baby sit them. A ball comes my way its mine unless I see a kid who has been behaving nicely or is shy...then I nicely give it to them. I do not believe every kid deserves that same entitlement. When I was eight or nine I went and hung arund the Orioles dugout and I was happy to get an autograph or two if it happened....and I didn't feel like it was necessary to act the way some of these kids do.....standing in front of my seat, running thru the concourse, and my favorite.....asking me to move from my seat when the row in front or behind is completely empty! Its funny to see them look at me and when I tell them no. I could tell many stories...lol. Had I acted the way some of these kids do when I was their age..I would never have been allowed to go to another game. It might sound like Im nasty to the kids but for the most part I try and help them get their autographs but not if they are stepping on me or asking me to move.

Re: Probably a touchy subject...

In the rare instances where I do ask a player for an autograph I only ask for one. I understand those folks that try to get a few things signed and it doesn't bother me at all if the player is willing. I'm concerned however, when people go overboard because it often sours athletes on signing and it can make all autograph seekers look bad.

There was one exception. In 1993 I went to Cleveland Browns training camp and Bernie Kosar graciously signed two things for me. That was a big thrill. I usually don't get star struck but at that time Bernie Kosar was the next closest thing to God in my eyes. I was so relieved to find that he was such a generous and nice person. After a long practice he signed and signed until everyone was satisfied. Rare.