Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Probably a touchy subject...

I purchased a Diamondbacks equipment bag on eBay from former MLB pitcher Bob Wolcott some years ago - I seem to recall that another board member got his Seattle one - and in the course of emailing back and forth I asked him whether he'd mind if I sent a few cards for him to autograph. He said sure, so I sent him, I think, four or five cards, and they came back nicely signed, with two others that I didn't have and which he just made me a present of. You can't get too much more accomodating than that!

Annoying kids are one thing and that is to be expected but the grown man "fan boys" that show up the to park everyday with pages and pages of cards and hound the players for equipment and that think they are "friends" with the players are just a whole other level of creepy/desperate/sad.

These guys fall into these false realities and think they are best friends with a player because they talk to them for a minute, or because they give them crappy photos they have taken of them or because they give them newspaper clippings. And then after all that have the nerve to expect autographs, bats or other equipment because they have bestowed such an amazing, unsolicited and, most of the time, completely unwanted "gift" upon them. Never mind that they usually appear pathetically desperate and just downright creepy. It's really quite sad actually.

And this is coming from the perspective of someone (me) that has worked in pro ball for a long time now and I have seen/heard this first hand from players, other fans and co-workers all throughout the years.

At one time, I was an avid in-person autograph collector, ages 11-16, but I had to stop at my local park (where I work) because the local "hounds" made up rumors about me my first season that, among other things, had me stealing the home jersey of one our more prominent players at the time during a long road trip. I was livid when I found out about this because it would have cost me job had it made it around to anyone in the company that actually believed it.

So I am a little jaded when it comes to the "fan boys"
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

I have never really been to big into autographs but I bought a lot of 75 different Daryle Ward card in 2003 for like $10 shipped. I worked in baseball at the time and gave these to Daryle for his personal collection because previously he had mentioned he collected his and his dad Gary's cards. He thanked me and told me that he actually needed a few of those cards. He walked by me a few days later and without speaking handed me all but 3 of the cards back he kept autographed. All of the autographs on the 72 cards are signed very carefully. I was surprised to say the least but the impression I got from it all was that Daryle Ward was a class act.
    Now for the creepy autograph guys a lot of times I have heard players say that if somebody is going to ask you to sign ridiculous amounts that they do sloppy initial signatures or just do a couple. It kills me to hear guys complaing because they didn't sign ENOUGH for them. I have also heard dealers saying they earn the right to sell their autographs on ebay because they put the time,money,and effort into getting them signed. Expenses such as card cost, shipping,pens,gas,tickets,ebay fees, etc. I really don't care just my 2 cents.

This is in response to the last two posts...

1st to chakes89 - and maybe I'm reading too much into what you wrote - some people (based on your description) might call me a 'fan boy' based on my connections with certain players over the past few years at Coors Field.

I just want to clarify that I am not a card guy, but some players - when you have certain items of theirs to get signed - do become 'friendly' with certain fans. A few cases that have happened to me:

Matt Holliday - ever since Matt saw me roll out his 1st MLB Spring Training jersey in 2004 when he got called up, he and I have been 'friendly' (for lack of a better term). He has always made time to stop and see what I have to get signed - always unique items (not cards) and even since he went to the Cards, he has made time at least one day each time he's been back to sign whatever I've collected over the past year.

Eric Young Jr - a little different connection. I met EY when he 1st got drafted by the Rockies and always saw him at Spring Training. In 2009 (his MLB Call Up) I retrieved his 1st MLB HR. I made sure I got to see him to give it to him and got a GU ball in return. Since then, he has always made time to say hello, support our RockNation club, and before being traded, stopped twice on his way in to gift me with Cleats and Batting Gloves to finish a Mannequin that has his 1st Rockies Uniform (and the 1st MLB HR Uniform) on it including his Batting helmet.

Jason Giambi - I was fortunate enough to be able to snag Jason's 1st Rockies Uniform from Sept 2009 (same uniform he is wearing in his 1st Rockies cards) and he came over to sign it at Spring Training in 2010 and we started talking. Since then, he has always been gracious in making times for items I have added to the collection and at Fan Fest in 2012, my friends were floored when he was walking past and pointed me out, called me by name and stopped to say hello to everyone.

Finally Michael Cuddyer. I met Michael more directly and in a more 'one on one' interaction when one of my techs asked me to come help him with a Cable/Internet/Phone install in 2012 and it was at Michael's house. While I was setting up his Internet and WiFi and all, we talked for a good two hours and Michael too has gone out of his way when he sees me to sign items I have for him and he gifted me a pair of Batting Gloves at the end of last season.

I have the same kind of relationship with a few other up and coming Rockies too, but those are the best known names.

Does that make me a 'fan-boy' per your definition? I have no notion that we are best buds or that we're going out for beers, but it's also not the situation you described.

My point being - you're description doesn't fit every situation and many times, people don't know the whole background behind who really knows who or how they know each other.

2nd to r_phelps - I agree with you that many 'dealers' complain about not getting enough signed, etc... we have a few people here at Coors Field that claim they aren't dealers, but they are the only ones who get upset and bent out of shape when they don't get the autograph they we're seeking (maybe they had already 'guaranteed' someone that autograph?) or when a player only signs one item per person.

You're point about the 'right to sell their autographs' isn't without merit, but it's also a sticky point on the other side. I don't collect autographs to sell, but I do understand the cost of selling - postage, packing materials, etc - having sold here, on eBay, etc over the years.

I generally sell to raise funds for a new piece for my collection, or because I picked up a lot of items for one or two pieces and the rest will be resold. I do also sell because I need space or to give my wife and kid a nice vacation.birthday/Christmas...I try to be fair in my pricing, but when some people low ball you AND want free shipping, there are times it would literally cost money to sell the item - meaning that after shipping/packaging, etc, you're spending more than you're getting for the item... so there is that side to the coin as well.

To all - thanks for letting me rant - now I'll digress and step off the soap box...

- Smitty

Smitty...Once again AMEN!!!

I like your style

Putting myself to when I was a wide eyed hero worshipping 10 year old. That meeting and kinda also the autograph lasts a lifetime. Nothing more dishearting than being that kid or, worse, seeing that kid waiting for a sig. as some adult pulls out 20+ photos, cards to be signed. The players time is limited so the kid any everyone knows he may not meet his childhood hero or get a signature.
    So, to that, maybe the adult gets one or two then goes to the end of the line. This is when they're are free. Now if u bought tickets per sig then diff story.
    But the free ones is a whole diff story. I for one won't contribute to crushing a boys dream, his possible only chance. if ur intent is honorable any want it as a souvenir then get ur two then share the wealth. Enuf. No ones opinion is going to change

Banned

Smile Re: Probably a touchy subject...

Quote Originally Posted by jtnatalierica View Post
    Got a good multiple autograph card signing. When I was with the Tigers as a batting practice pitcher, I used to hang around with Jim Walewander. When we were sitting at our lockers after bp, he showed me a plastic box containing about 15 of his cards wanting them autographed. He laid them in the floor one next to another and script wrote his full name, J_I_M_W_A_L_E_W_A_N_D_E_R across all 15 cards, picked them up, put them back and stated "Let me see how much they can get for this card with the E on it, or the N on it". Laughed my butt off.
    Great story. In the mid-1980s, a local dealer was loading up on Buddy Biancalana autographs. When the dealer presented Buddy with two more 1985 Topps cards, he signed his first name on one and his last name on the other.

Dave M.

Smitty, can't really answer your question because I don't know you.

And as for my term "Fan Boy," I equate it to be a male version of the term "Cleat Chasers," which if unfamiliar, is a term used to describe overzealous or "stalkerish" female fans.

Seen a fair share of "Cleat Chasers" in my day as well. And talk about desperate..........
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    Smitty, can't really answer your question because I don't know you.

And as for my term "Fan Boy," I equate it to be a male version of the term "Cleat Chasers," which if unfamiliar, is a term used to describe overzealous or "stalkerish" female fans.

Seen a fair share of "Cleat Chasers" in my day as well. And talk about desperate..........
    I know very well what a Cleat Chaser is - we have plenty of them here at Coors Field and down in Colorado Springs at Triple A as well...

I was just making the argument that you statement about 'fan boys' was a rather generalized statement. It's all good.

Not too many baseball terms that I am unfamiliar with having followed the game my whole life (I turn 50 a month from Wednesday) and having worked for both Nike and Rawlings.

I like to read the boards here but hardly ever post. Would like to share my experience with a future HOF.

I always loved Frank Thomas growing up (I am now 31), and always wanted to meet the man and possibly get his autograph. Only problem is that I live in Philadelphia so Frank hardly ever came to play against the Phillies. I always went to the Sox vs. Phillies games that I could just to see my guy live and in person for his 1 trip to plate as a Pinch Hitter.

Anyway, While he was with the Blue Jays they held an exhibition game vs the Phillies right before so I knew I had to go. I was going to do everything in my power to say hi to him and maybe get a photo with him.

I made a poster that said, "The big hurt, please sign my baseball" and brought with me a press photo I had from my younger days that I used to have on my night stand. Before the game there was a minor leaguer talking to his family and when there was a break in the conversation I said, if you see this man(holding up my pic of him) in the locker room tell him I have been waiting for him for a long time and tell him to please come over so I could say hi. In they go and after a couple of minutes the team comes out, including Frank, who I imediately yell for. He raises his arm like he hears me and is acknowledging it. hmm... something is up.

He gets done warming up and walks right over to me and asks if he could sign my baseball (as I nervously drop the pen). Out of nowhere all these people around me come over and start asking him for his auto, (books and bats thrown in his face), he asks me if there is anything else I would like signed.. " do you want the sign autographed? Sure why not . He also signed my photo. On the way back to the dugout he signed a few more autographs but I know he came right over to me. I would thank the minor leaguer but I don't really know who he was but we did get his auto on my wife's ticket. I couldn't believe what just happened so about the 5th inning after calling my family to tell what happened.. I finally got to watch some of the game.

Fast forward to 2013 and the All-Star fanfest. I decided to wear my Frank Thomas jersey in the hopes he would happen to be there. I knew he was doing an autograph signing in a NYC store so it couldn't hurt. I was near the MLB.COM set they had set up and hear " up next, catch up with Frank Thomas".... Sat in audience, asked one of my favorite athletes a question for the show. Afterwards he signed my jersey as I got my brother to stand in line for me as I watched the show. After he was done signing for everyone I was still on his side of the table (behind the ropes) and asked if I could get a picture with him. He was gracious enough to do so and wanted it to be a good one so he had up do it twice... no complaints on my end. Now it sits on my work desk as I write this. His arm around me while I am wearing his jersey.

See you in Cooperstown Frank, I will be there.