Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EBay fraud committed by murphys2002 and pkrbkr52

I sold some autographed proline helmets on ebay a month or so ago and one was bought by "pkrbkr52" a user named "Michael Murphy" from Minocqua WI. He was unhappy with the purchase because the PSA DNA card wasnt included. While I never said it was or had it in any pictures I offered to let him return the helmet if he paid for it to be shipped back to me. He flipped out and said no and left me nasty feedback. Today I notice on ebay that the same helmet is now a "game issued" Brian Dawkins helmet. The facemask has changed along with some other alterations, but the COA number is the same. Only this time its under a different user "Murphys2002" This helmet is not "game issued" and has been faked by the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261291089828

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Dawkin...21204743873%26
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Re: EBay fraud committed by murphys2002 and pkrbkr52

Report him to eBay

You clearly had a bad experience with this eBay member. I agree this should be reported to eBay. However, have you contacted the seller and called him out on it? The wording in the title clearly states game issued, but the description says something to the effect of game issued style. I agree it is deceiving, but the nomenclature in the hobby is sometimes vague. He obviously made some modifications (number change, facemask and shield) to make it look more like a Dawkins lid.

Yes, I don't agree with the negative feedback.

However, I am having trouble with what this ebay user did that was wrong. "Game Issued" has always been used on ebay to describe a helmet that has been modified or altered with customizations. Currently there are many helmets on ebay with the term "Game Issued" to describe it. When you look at the helmet, most times it has at least a mask that is the style that the player wore. There is even an old helmet lamp (Colts) helmet on there now using that term to describe it. I agree that the term has different meanings to different people. For years, I would purchase Proline helmets direct from Riddell, customize them like this seller did, and sell them on ebay and other sites. Occasionally I would purchase helmets from other dealers that were autographed, or I would get Proline helmets autographed - and customize them later. Although I did not describe them as "Game Issued", basically I was doing the same as this re-seller. Not sure other than the term used how he/she is guilty of fraud.

Personally, I feel if you advertise something as "with NFL PSA/DNA certification," I'd expect the certification to come with it. (Not that I'd "wig out and leave you a negative.") So I find it funny that he had such a big issue with the lack of cert, but he doesn't say anything about it missing, either!

I don't know what game issued "style" is supposed to mean, but the seller gives the impression by the photo in his listing that it would have been worn (had it not been issued) when the Broncos played @ SD on Monday 10/19/09.

Yet when I looked up the authentication number on PSA's website it shows it being authenticated 6/16/09. Signed before the game where he would have worn it?

Not to mention the helmet is a Riddell when Dawkins wore a Schutt. It looks like he removed the rear bumper to make it look more authentic.

Shady practices that need to be reported to eBay (if not already done so)

-Randy

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    Yes, I don't agree with the negative feedback.

However, I am having trouble with what this ebay user did that was wrong. "Game Issued" has always been used on ebay to describe a helmet that has been modified or altered with customizations. Currently there are many helmets on ebay with the term "Game Issued" to describe it. When you look at the helmet, most times it has at least a mask that is the style that the player wore. There is even an old helmet lamp (Colts) helmet on there now using that term to describe it. I agree that the term has different meanings to different people. For years, I would purchase Proline helmets direct from Riddell, customize them like this seller did, and sell them on ebay and other sites. Occasionally I would purchase helmets from other dealers that were autographed, or I would get Proline helmets autographed - and customize them later. Although I did not describe them as "Game Issued", basically I was doing the same as this re-seller. Not sure other than the term used how he/she is guilty of fraud.
    I'm not a helmet guy, I'm a bat guy, but I'd think the terminology should be the same. I, and the people I regularly deal with, view "game issued" as given to the player, or at least the team, and ready for use. Even if it wasn't in the player's hands, they could at least get their hands on it. This helmet didn't come any closer to Dawkins or the locker room than my left foot did. Call it "Pro style" or "Game style," but not game issued.

Ken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Personally, I feel if you advertise something as "with NFL PSA/DNA certification," I'd expect the certification to come with it. (Not that I'd "wig out and leave you a negative.") So I find it funny that he had such a big issue with the lack of cert, but he doesn't say anything about it missing, either!
    Ken, 100% correct - If you are selling an item with a hologram or sticker from an authentication company that generally also supplies matching certificate of authenticities you should mention if the paper certificate is missing. Why ask for trouble if you don't have it?

Too many people are lazy with their description and it only leads to issues down the road.

With regards to the certification for the OP's helmet, I would think the PSA/DNA sticker would be the certification the OP is referring to in his auction, because on the PSA/DNA sticker is the "certification" number. Yes, he should have mentioned in the auction that he did not have the "certificate", but he did have "certification" in the form of the PSA/DNA sticker.

I contacted murphys2002 about his helmet not being game issued, especially since the "zeros" don't match up in his game photo in his auction and his response was "I'm sorry you feel that way". LOL. Some of his other items are suspect as well.

Banned

Here's what he said to me
    Attached Images Attached Images