Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modern NFL Jersey/Photomatching experts: Please Advise

Let me be clear. I am humbly asking for the honest and diligent opinion of others on a matter for which I don't want to jump to conclusions.

The jersey below was worn by Giovani Bernard in Sunday's 49-9 Bengal Victory. What I'm trying to determine with certainty is whether it was previously worn in the September 16th game against the Steelers.

When I witnessed the jersey, I was suprised to see the tag inside appeared 1) less than crisp, 2) to have an "L" written on it near a foldover, and 3) the tag generally looked to my novice eyes to exhibit a bit of wash wear. So, I became curious whether the jersey might have been used in any other games, Preseason or regular season (same style was worn Week 2 Sept 16th vs Steelers and Week 3 Sept 22 vs Patriots).

I was really surprised to see what looks like a much deeper but identical marking on the front "5" on the TD play high res photos from the Steeler Game. If they reused a jersey in this day in age, wouldn't any staining be washed out?

I am not sure what creates the staining on the number "5" on the front. Central to my question is whether it all washes out if a jersey is washed/reused.

I invite insights from the forum's many experts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Modern NFL Jersey/Photomatching experts: Please Advise

Also, here is an image cap after Gio's first carry from the Jets game (the apparent reuse). It was the 2nd play Gio was in the game. On the first, he was lined up as a wide out and was not grabbed by anybody. The lighting is pretty bright on the telecast, but the staining is apparent.

Again, insights welcomed.

While you wait for an expert opinion, I will proffer that to me the arch on the 5 looks spot on.

FWIW, it seems to me the arch on the '5' aligns with the pads, which would be in a similar position each week, whether the same jersey or a different one. I'd look at the pattern of the mesh under his arm for a potential match.

Can't offer help on the possible match I will say I love this shirt. After seeing this humble. hardworking, well spoken kid on HBO's Hard Knocks, I'm cheering for him to have a long productive career. Anyone know how to get an Orange gamer of his?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I know the Bengals sell through their pro shop. pretty pricey but will respond to emails. I am looking at a few Peko's from last year but steep price for sure
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Certainly possible that it could have been used in multiple games. I've seen both single and multi-use Nike gamers from the 2012 season. The multi-use jerseys did show considerable wear (holes, tears, repairs...).

However, I tend to agree with BrianK's point on the pad alignment and would guess that the markings were caused by the ball rubbing against them during carries.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    FWIW, it seems to me the arch on the '5' aligns with the pads, which would be in a similar position each week, whether the same jersey or a different one. I'd look at the pattern of the mesh under his arm for a potential match.
    Attached are images of the mesh from both sides. I am grateful for all those who offer their expert opinions. I hope this helps to do so.

And to answer a couple of other questions. NFL Auctions and the Bengals Pro Shop do sell Bengals game used jerseys. And no, I don't know where any Gio shirts are currently available. I'm not aware of any prior Gio Bengals shirts which were available to our hobby.

Thanks to all in advance.

Mesh helping to match seems hard since it would be a challenge to identically stretch it. But, here is a picture that shows his mesh from the Steeler game.

Does the mesh demonstrate a positive or negative photomatch?

For me, with jerseys negative photomatches seem so much easier to attain 100% certainty than positive. It took less than two minutes to KNOW that Dalton wore a different jersey for the Jets and Steeler games.

I believe I have found an additional photo-match for the Jets game jersey to the Steelers game jersey. Specifically the below appears to match the vertical nameplate location (which has varied intrayear on other 2013 Bengals), collar stitching, and loose threads on the left shoulder "5".

I have no knowledge how common these matches are independently, much less together. So I continue to hope that an expert who cares to teach will contribute to my education and the utility of our forum.

My perception certainly is that its the same jersey used for the Pittsburgh Steeler game September 16th. But, my first experience photo-matching a very elastic shirt of which I have minimal background knowledge (and doing so post-laundering from the game being matched to) leaves me pleading for this forum's expert contributions.

Are these by themselves an irrefutable photo match? And/or are they so unlikely in unison that taken with the front "5" Pittsburgh stain appearing faded/washed for Gio's first camera appearance in Jets game.

I haven't heard anything from anyone regarding conclusions on the mesh (such would be appreciated). And still, I would be grateful to know specifically what the stain the front 5 "is". Is it typical that the deepest portions of it don't entirely launder out?

The purpose of this research is not to alter economic value. It is to attain certainty in one direction or another. While I believe this IS the jersey Gio wore for the Steeler game on September 16th, 2013 I don't trust my breadth of knowledge about photo-matching elastic jerseys and NFL Nike Jersey stains (after launderings) to 100% know that my own perceptions are 100% correct. Please help.