Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Willie Mays Adirondack Game Used Bats

Hello,

I recently came across a 50's Willie Mays 282A Adirondack bat that appears to be a pro model bat. However, the length on the bat is 34 inches. I know that most A model bats are 35 inches, but Ive also heard that it is not unusual to find a 34 inch A model bat, or a 33 inch B model bat, etc. That being said, is this a real Mays gamer? I know he ordered 34's in the Louisville records. Any information would help greatly.

Thanks, Ryan

Re: Willie Mays Adirondack Game Used Bats

Hi Ryan--

Just one piece of information without actually seeing the bat: while it is true that H & B records show that Mays did order 34 inch bats, they were a rare exception to his normal ordering patterns. Specifically, of approximately 275 separate H & B orders between 4/13/51 and 8/10/73, he was shipped only three (3) orders of 34 inch bats...almost all other orders (98 %) were 35 inches in length, with a handful of 34.5", 35.5" and 36" orders making up the rest. The orders of 34 inch bats were shipped only in 1966 and 1967.

That is not to say that the subject bat is not possibly a professional model, just that it is very atypical of Mays' ordering patterns for the era. If you could post photos of the knob, center label, and barrel label, it may be possible to give you some additional information.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aiol.com

Mike,

Any info?

Ryan

Hi Ryan--

Typically professional model Adirondack A Series bats are 35 inches in length and pro model B Series bats are 34 inches in length. Some collectors believe that the model series represents the length of the bat, however there have been too many inconsistencies to make such a blanket statement. The labeling on your bat is consistent with the Adirondack 1951-1957 label period. As such, the final evaluation of the information offered above and in the previous post is for you to determine. Unfortunately, I do not have any exemplars of vintage Mays numerics for possible compasrison with the bat knob, however the marker (just from the photo) appears consistent with the period.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Ryan,
    Are you interested in selling the bat? Let me know.
    Thanks
    Matt
    Bub13@aol.com