Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Winfield bat on EBay

I don't mean to say "sorry dude" and come off as not being empathetic to Bill's situation. The reality is, if you have been collecting bats long enough, odds are you have purchased a questionable bat or two and you have chalked it up to a learning experience and moved on. Just this year, I bought a Ripken and Thomas bat which ended up being promo bats. I didn't even ask for a refund as it was my mistake for not doing my due diligence. I learned from those experiences, sold the bats with honest descriptions and moved on.
    I don't believe after giving the buyer every opportunity to back out of the purchase and being contacted five years later for a refund of a low end item, I should be characterized as someone who just said "sorry dude".

Worldchamps, pls email me when you have a second pls. Chris

Chris@pacmedia.ca
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    I don't mean to say "sorry dude" and come off as not being empathetic to Bill's situation. The reality is, if you have been collecting bats long enough, odds are you have purchased a questionable bat or two and you have chalked it up to a learning experience and moved on. Just this year, I bought a Ripken and Thomas bat which ended up being promo bats. I didn't even ask for a refund as it was my mistake for not doing my due diligence. I learned from those experiences, sold the bats with honest descriptions and moved on.
    I don't believe after giving the buyer every opportunity to back out of the purchase and being contacted five years later for a refund of a low end item, I should be characterized as someone who just said "sorry dude".

And that's a completely legit stance. But it's not mine. You did say "Sorry, worldchamps," and I don't think 5 weeks, 5 months, or 5 years matters if we find it's cut-and-dried like this. As I said, I have a Shultz special. I got burned, just like you did. But if I knew I passed crap to someone else, I wouldn't be able to walk away and tell someone it should be their learning experience. I don't view this as "backing out of a purchase;" to me that's similar to buyer's remorse, which I would NOT accept after 5 years (or even 5 months.)

I would rather give the couple hundred back on a "low-end item" than ever write "sorry, bro." "Sorry I screwed you." But again, perhaps I'm off here. That's why I asked the opinions of the forum.

Ken

It is an interesting question. I think as long as the buyer has all the information up front and is not mislead, the responsibility lies with the buyer.

If 5 years from now we find out mlb has been authenticating BP bats as game used am I on the hook for everything I've sold that wasn't photomatched? If so, it's not worth the risk to sell anything.. Ever.

Does this logic work in reverse? If I sold a 1906 Spalding Ty Cobb bat as a store model, and years later evidence arises that he used these in games, does the buyer owe me 10k? Nope
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Banned

Good points Jimmy.
    The fact that I presented all of the information I knew and believed to be true up front and offered to refund the money at the time of purchase should really close the case.
    I agree there should be a reasonable time period to allow for the buyer to change his mind and request a refund, a couple weeks, a month? After a month has passed, in my mind, the buyer has now conceded that they are happy with the purchase and there is no longer any recourse to the seller.

The refund was offered when the fact it was not in the factory records was brought up, which was responded with a compelling argument on that it is a REAL bat, which your comments were "no doubt Winfield used this bat". I trusted you, so that was my mistake.

The mike Schultz aspect is a different concern... It is fake, you know it is fake, it is not an issue of not being documented, it is a FAKE bat and you are not going to do anything about it. That is your decision.

Don't even try to act like you offered to do the right thing on this.

I hope whoever bought your other bats ( Thomas and Ripken) are reading these posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I honestly don't see Nick as the bad guy here. You came to the same conclusion as him with all the available information and were comfortable for 5 years.

My question to you is why aren't you going after Mike Shultz on this? He is the one responsible for the alleged fraud. You seem to be more interested in holding nick accountable, but he was a victim too. You know where this bat originated go after the source. I think every member would applaud that decision.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Because I bought it from Nick

i think Nick should make it right, then he would need to contact Mike.

Obviously this is not going to happen.

The bat dies with me... That is the solution that the game used universe community would like to see....as well as forum members not screwing each other over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by GoTigers View Post
    You know where this bat originated go after the source. I think every member would applaud that decision.
    And I didn't know it came from mike Schultz or that it was fake until 2 days ago, when this post was made. I was trying to sell it only to free up room.

At this point let nick make another response if he chooses to and let's all move on.

Hopefully there is a lesson learned here for all... I learned about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by GoTigers View Post
    I honestly don't see Nick as the bad guy here. You came to the same conclusion as him with all the available information and were comfortable for 5 years.

My question to you is why aren't you going after Mike Shultz on this? He is the one responsible for the alleged fraud. You seem to be more interested in holding nick accountable, but he was a victim too. You know where this bat originated go after the source. I think every member would applaud that decision.
    I see your point but I disagree. It's not really up to worldchamp to go after the person that doctored the bat to begin with. He didnt buy it from schultz, he bought it from Nick.

Could you imagine all of us that have obtained bad items and totally skipping the person that sold us these items and went after those that did the doctoring? We'd be on a witch hunt forever.
    If I bought a new car from Nissan, and after 3 months the transmission goes
    out, you better believe I'm going after the person that sold it to me, the dealer, not Nissan, not yet anyways.