Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoosier39
    • Jul 2013

Winfield bat on EBay

This bat was just listed and it's a bad one, at least to me anyways. Buyer beware!

• worldchamps
    • Dec 2005

Re: Winfield bat on EBay

I am the one selling this bat, and I purchased it from forum member Nick Nunnari... So please inform me why this bat is bad?
    sigpic

Comment

• Hoosier39
      • Jul 2013

Ball marks on it don't look right.

Comment

• Nnunnari
        Banned
        • Sep 2006

I bought and sold this bat on ebay several years ago, possibly prior to shipping records being available to the public?
        If I recall, the bat was shorter than a typical Winfield gamer, 34" or 34.5".
        When I listed the bat, I would've had the bat's dimensions in the description.
        I may have originally bought the bat from Mike Schultz, and unfortunately he burned a few of us back in the day. Sorry Worldchamps.

Comment

• worldchamps
          • Dec 2005

I have removed the bat from eBay.

Previous seller Nick Nunnari, nunnari19 has advised me it was from mike Schultz, and it is a bad bat. He also advised me "I should have done my homework" and that "too many years have passed" for him to accept responsibility.

I would not pass along my mistake on to someone else, and I would have corrected any past wrong doings, unfortunantly we do not all live by this code.
          sigpic

Comment

• jbsportstuff
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Nnunnari
            I bought and sold this bat on ebay several years ago, possibly prior to shipping records being available to the public?
            If I recall, the bat was shorter than a typical Winfield gamer, 34" or 34.5".
            When I listed the bat, I would've had the bat's dimensions in the description.
            I may have originally bought the bat from Mike Schultz, and unfortunately he burned a few of us back in the day. Sorry Worldchamps.
            Sorry worldchamps? For real?? WOW....

Comment

• Nnunnari
              Banned
              • Sep 2006

Bill-
              Check your mailbox. I forwarded our email chain to you from the time of the purchase back in '08. I clearly explained that the bat did not match Winfield's shipping records. I also offered to refund your money and not ship you the bat. You declined to have the money refunded and wanted the bat shipped to you anyway.
              The fact that you would come back to me five years later and expect me to reimburse you is assassin and speaks more towards your character than mine. Please stop harassing me with emails and trying to damage my reputation.

-Nick

Comment

• worldchamps
                • Dec 2005

I got your email, I'm done communicating with you. You WON, congrats on moving a fake bat out of your collection.

And for the record he did offer a refund after I challenged him on it not being listed in bats records. But he sent me this compelling email, which I bought, oh well less learned..on who not to ever deal with again.

> Bill,
                > > I am not sure why this bat is not in records, my
                > > thinking is that the bat was ordered early in the
                > > 1990 season, possibly spring training and the bat
                > > might not have made the record book. It is the
                > same
                > > legth and weight as other Winfield gamers of this
                > > era along with the gwynn finish which he commonly

> > ordered at that time. The bat also displays
                > strong
                > > Winfield characteristics with the heavy pine tar
                > on
                > > the lower handle, ball marks on the left side of
                > the
                > > barrel and the worn in #31 on the knob.
                > > I purchased this bat from a bat boy who claimed
                > the
                > > bat was given directly to him from Winfield in the
                > > early '90s.
                > > Let me know if you still want me to ship out the
                > bat
                > > today, I can tell you it's a great looking bat
                > that
                > > I have no doubt was used by Winfield.
                > >
                > > Nick
                sigpic

Comment

• Nnunnari
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2006

Like I have previously stated, at the time, prior to my knowledge of Mike Schultz, who he was and what he was all about, I thought this was a legit bat. I was in no way trying to sell you a fake bat and offered to not even send you the bat if you were not comfortable. Unfortunately, a lot of people fell for Schultz' story during that time period, myself included.
                  For you to imply that I was trying to rip you off is ridiculous.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                    • Oct 2005

This has led to a very interesting topic for me. What do you Forum members consider a proper "statute of limitations" for something like this?

My 2 cents is that I cannot see myself saying to a buyer "sorry, dude" when something I sold them is shown to be 100% bad.

I actually have in my possession a GU bat that I bought directly from a prominent GUF member that has, you guessed it, a Mike Schultz letter. I've never asked him his thoughts on a refund, even though I often wonder what he'd say.

Ken

Comment

• Nnunnari
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2006

I don't mean to say "sorry dude" and come off as not being empathetic to Bill's situation. The reality is, if you have been collecting bats long enough, odds are you have purchased a questionable bat or two and you have chalked it up to a learning experience and moved on. Just this year, I bought a Ripken and Thomas bat which ended up being promo bats. I didn't even ask for a refund as it was my mistake for not doing my due diligence. I learned from those experiences, sold the bats with honest descriptions and moved on.
                      I don't believe after giving the buyer every opportunity to back out of the purchase and being contacted five years later for a refund of a low end item, I should be characterized as someone who just said "sorry dude".

Comment

• cjw
                        • Oct 2006

Worldchamps, pls email me when you have a second pls. Chris

Chris@pacmedia.ca
                        WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Nnunnari
                          I don't mean to say "sorry dude" and come off as not being empathetic to Bill's situation. The reality is, if you have been collecting bats long enough, odds are you have purchased a questionable bat or two and you have chalked it up to a learning experience and moved on. Just this year, I bought a Ripken and Thomas bat which ended up being promo bats. I didn't even ask for a refund as it was my mistake for not doing my due diligence. I learned from those experiences, sold the bats with honest descriptions and moved on.
                          I don't believe after giving the buyer every opportunity to back out of the purchase and being contacted five years later for a refund of a low end item, I should be characterized as someone who just said "sorry dude".

And that's a completely legit stance. But it's not mine. You did say "Sorry, worldchamps," and I don't think 5 weeks, 5 months, or 5 years matters if we find it's cut-and-dried like this. As I said, I have a Shultz special. I got burned, just like you did. But if I knew I passed crap to someone else, I wouldn't be able to walk away and tell someone it should be their learning experience. I don't view this as "backing out of a purchase;" to me that's similar to buyer's remorse, which I would NOT accept after 5 years (or even 5 months.)

I would rather give the couple hundred back on a "low-end item" than ever write "sorry, bro." "Sorry I screwed you." But again, perhaps I'm off here. That's why I asked the opinions of the forum.

Ken

Comment

• GoTigers
                            • Aug 2007

It is an interesting question. I think as long as the buyer has all the information up front and is not mislead, the responsibility lies with the buyer.

If 5 years from now we find out mlb has been authenticating BP bats as game used am I on the hook for everything I've sold that wasn't photomatched? If so, it's not worth the risk to sell anything.. Ever.

Does this logic work in reverse? If I sold a 1906 Spalding Ty Cobb bat as a store model, and years later evidence arises that he used these in games, does the buyer owe me 10k? Nope
                            Thanks,
                            Jimmy

Email:
                            jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Comment

• Nnunnari
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2006

Good points Jimmy.
                              The fact that I presented all of the information I knew and believed to be true up front and offered to refund the money at the time of purchase should really close the case.
                              I agree there should be a reasonable time period to allow for the buyer to change his mind and request a refund, a couple weeks, a month? After a month has passed, in my mind, the buyer has now conceded that they are happy with the purchase and there is no longer any recourse to the seller.

Comment

Working...