Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Larry Bird photomatched shoes

Unbelievable! This has got to be one of the best game used pieces I've ever seen. Congrats.

Thanks so much for the kind words! I could not be happier with these. I really appreciate it. Geez, I was such a big fan of Larry gowing up- I remember missing my little league game to watch game 6 of the finals when they won it all. Nothing like 1980s NBA; just awesome stuff!

Inside the shoe, can you notice any difference between them?

That is a great point. I think Larry had his shoes customized after his achilles surgery in 1989, where the heel portion had modification made to it. He wore these shoes in 1986, before the heel surgery, so they are free of these modifications. That is a subtle point though. Good stuff!

I didn't know what year he had that issue, but I've talked to the gent that made Bird's shoes and he mentioned having to work around a bone spur in that area.

That actually makes sense. I once handled a pair of ERX-300 Cons from the 1989 season and the right shoe had part of the inner plastic cut around the backside of the heel, making it soft and floppy. This makes sense based on what you said regarding the person who made the shoe having to work around Bird's spurs. How the heck did you manage to talk to him? That is pretty cool.

I am assuming my pair was made before the spurs were much of an issue (not to mention his back too), but when I get home tonight I will check.

Hi guys- I am brining this post back as I was so excited to find my shoes pictured in a random Celtics book titled "The Bird Era" that i picked up recently. It is a photo of Bird and Johnson celebrating at the conclusion of game 6 of the 1986 NBA Finals (shortly after destroying the Rockets). I pictured my shoes for a comparison. Is it not a great feeling to see your special items listed in photos?! Awesome stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The awesomeness continues. I'm legitimately jealous.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I was just so happy to see it in the picture. Have you guys had this happen to you where you randomly pick up a book or are looking through gettyimages, photo shelter, et all and there it is? Good stuff!

Great catch, Joe, that is very cool!

Ben