Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Larry Bird photomatched shoes

Even as a Lakers fan I have to begrudgingly give respect where respect is due Very nice shoes!

Hah! It is amazing how strongly you can feel about these guys. I have been a fan of the Celtics and Larry since early eighties when I was a kid, but I have to give credit to Magic and Kareen; they were just so good and really were the team of the eighties. I remember going to see Kareen at a book singing in late eighties in Boston and thinking, "this guy is the enemy!" Just a great rivalry.

With the stellar photomatches, those are easily one of the coolest basketball items that have been posted on here—congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by joecoco View Post
    Hah! It is amazing how strongly you can feel about these guys. I have been a fan of the Celtics and Larry since early eighties when I was a kid, but I have to give credit to Magic and Kareen; they were just so good and really were the team of the eighties. I remember going to see Kareen at a book singing in late eighties in Boston and thinking, "this guy is the enemy!" Just a great rivalry.

I think as time goes on you stop hating your "enemy" and start to appreciate the battles and what they brought to the table. At that point the "hate" you feel starts to change into respect. I also hate the Spurs and hated Tim Duncan and Pop. At this point though, I find myself oddly cheering them and not wanting it to end. I actually have considered looking for a Bird or Duncan gamer to go with my collection, but I'm not sure my house wouldn't instantly burst into flames, so at the moment I haven't

Quote Originally Posted by xsentrixsupra View Post
    I think as time goes on you stop hating your "enemy" and start to appreciate the battles and what they brought to the table. At that point the "hate" you feel starts to change into respect. I also hate the Spurs and hated Tim Duncan and Pop. At this point though, I find myself oddly cheering them and not wanting it to end. I actually have considered looking for a Bird or Duncan gamer to go with my collection, but I'm not sure my house wouldn't instantly burst into flames, so at the moment I haven't
    Well said! I find that with age I appreciate good team play (Showtime Lakers), regardless of the identity of the team or player, more than I ever did as a kid. I could not agree more. If you ever get a Bird item, make sure you buy fire insurance

Hello Everyone-

Maybe it is my age speaking, but as the year pass I find myself reflecting more on 1980's NBA Basketball, the game of my youth. I get particularly nostalgic with the start of the NBA season!

My collection is small, but what I have is meaningful to me. In honor of the season I decided to post probably the best picture of my 1986 Bird shoes in action. They show Bird going up against Hakeem - after faking out Rodney McCray- in Game 6. Bird was knocked to floor and later hit two free throws. If you refer to the picture in my earlier post you will see both shoes match up.

Thanks guys and Go Celtics!
    Attached Images Attached Images