Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jeter, Big Papi Steiner Letters without item for sale

All the more reason for Steiner to get with the times and start serial numbering all their game used items as well as adding an online data base!!

I found the thread that mentions selling LOA without item is against eBay rules.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=55007

Is the person selling them a GUU member?

There was a nice resolution in that thread where Mr. Joel Alpert bought all the COAs, the title description on the COAs were crossed out, and the autographs were cut and slabbed.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I found the thread that mentions selling LOA without item is against eBay rules.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=55007

Is the person selling them a GUU member?

There was a nice resolution in that thread where Mr. Joel Alpert bought all the COAs, the title description on the COAs were crossed out, and the autographs were cut and slabbed.
    There was a link in that thread that is important regarding ebay rules and selling COAs:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/autographs.html

If you click on the COAs/LOAs link under the guidlines section on the ebay page, you'll see you cannot sell COAs as stand alone items.

If it was a signature-cut type of sale, I don't see a problem with it.

But to some non-educated collectors - they just want a full page display of the letter ... Again, I don't see a problem with that.

But, if we have a well-document-educated collector, this is a scam waiting to happen ... And I don't have a problem with that either since I'm not going to touch it.

I've notice that alot of Steiner items on ebay have numbers on there stickers. Are these new or are these dealer only stickers or are they fake?
    -Devin

Not going to lie, If I was a Yankee Collector and I could buy one of those COA's that says "Captain, NYY" I would in a heartbeat to cut and add to a 8x10. It just strikes me as cool....

But the fact that the whole COA is being sold is scary.

I have a question. If I go to a Steiner show and pay for an autograph, will the COA have the players signature like these do?

Unfortunately whether Steiner is the victim or some how complicit, their reputation may take a hit. It will be interesting to see how they respond.
    IMO they are going to have to have a STRONG response/action.
    Their reputation is taking a hit and should go into damage control mode with a believable explanation on how these COA's got out there. Whether "stolen", rouge employee..all very difficult to believe but easy to just say without proof. A police report helps believability in a sense. But getting ahead of myself.
    Im just one buyer but hesitant to buy with just a generic hologram. As usual the GU hobby takes a hit. It's difficult to remain in this hobby.
    And please don't start with the "they're sold for the cut signature". The destroy the rest of the COA.
    Ok...getting my bowl of popcorn and watching. And deleting my Steiner link for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by cfern023 View Post
    I have a question. If I go to a Steiner show and pay for an autograph, will the COA have the players signature like these do?
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonrosa View Post
    I've notice that alot of Steiner items on ebay have numbers on there stickers. Are these new or are these dealer only stickers or are they fake?
    -Devin
    My experience with Steiner and Yankee game-used items is that they distinguish between items they obtain through the Yankees-Steiner partnership, and items they obtain directly from one of their exclusive players (e.g. Jeter and Mariano).

The partnership items have a numbered "game used" hologram attached, & come with a letter that has the matching-numbered hologram on it. This seems like a pretty good system, although I wish they also had an online database where you could verify the items.

The direct player game-used items come with the e.g. Jeter- or Rivera-signed letter. If they also come with a plastic CoA, there is usually no hologram at all on the item. If there is a hologram on the item, it's not a numbered one. So there's no way to tie a specific game-used item to a specific letter or plastic CoA. I've asked, but never received a satisfactory, or even a direct, answer as to why. I don't doubt the authenticity since it comes from them, but I don't find it very reassuring for resale.

Bob

Someone on net54 was trying to sell the Jeter letters earlier today. People got on him about it and he decided to delete the thread.

And what did Steiner do when they noticed the COA "tied" to a specific item came up missing? Just reissue another COA? Show any concern for the public by notifying them? or if they were never tied to an item, were they just printed, signed and dispensed?
    Do they just get jetter to sign a stack of COA's not tied to specific items?
    Lottsa questions that 54 is asking.