Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Exclamation Prince's new Rangers number

Word is that the newest Rangers slugger, Prince Fielder, will be wearing number 84 on his jersey in 2014, the first Ranger to wear 84 outside of spring training. Fielder didn't want to go to deeply into the "why", but did explain that the choice was made for a "fresh start" and that 84 was the year he was born.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Re: Prince's new Rangers number

And 84 is also the last year his former team won the World Series. He might as well wear the #1 in the form of a middle finger and change his last name to Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by swainer View Post
    And 84 is also the last year his former team won the World Series. He might as well wear the #1 in the form of a middle finger and change his last name to Detroit!
    We would have appreciated if he hit at all during the month of October and maybe we would have had a WS title in 2012 and/or 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    We would have appreciated if he hit at all during the month of October and maybe we would have had a WS title in 2012 and/or 2013.
    +1 I wish things would have turned out differently with Prince and the Tigers. He's a likeable guy but the perceived indifference about losing to the Red Sox and his "contribution" to that loss probably sealed his ticket out of town.

I share in the frustration that my fellow Tiger fans express. I also share in the disappointment in the fact that things didn't turn out differently. Prince to his credit or detriment is who he is and this was obvious in his interviews in Detroit and in his first interview in Texas. Maybe Ranger fans can accept him for everything he is and everything he isn't, Detroit fans for the most part could not do that.

I personally feel though that his number 84 has nothing to do with the Tigers last championship. It might be a happy coincidence (in his eyes) but I highly highly doubt he chose a number to insult a team and fan base that he no longer plays for. If I'm wrong, I'll own it, but I'd be shocked that he cared enough to even get angry enough to mastermind that cheap shot

Go Tigers!

In an interview with USA Today Prince claims that the number 84 was chosen because he was born in 1984.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...texas/3704771/
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

"I personally feel though that his number 84 has nothing to do with the Tigers last championship. It might be a happy coincidence (in his eyes) but I highly highly doubt he chose a number to insult a team and fan base that he no longer plays for." JoeTiger83

+ 1

Fielder was the 2nd best hitter on the team and Detroit fans are happy to see him go and to get Kinsler who will be lucky to hit .250 with 13 HR's.
    I really don't understand it.
    Remind me again what Cabrera hit in the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Fielder was the 2nd best hitter on the team and Detroit fans are happy to see him go and to get Kinsler who will be lucky to hit .250 with 13 HR's.
    I really don't understand it.
    Remind me again what Cabrera hit in the post season.
    I was not happy to see him go. It was smart to shed that crazy contract but I'm bummed he's gone. Miggy couldn't walk and still out performed Prince though. Oh and he hit .262 I believe.

I agree that he probably didn't choose 84 to snub the Tigers. If so, he'll have to change his number to 14 next year!!!! Bazinga!!!!

Peace!

John