Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Baseball HOF 2014

NEW YORK, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Pitchers Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine and slugger Frank Thomas were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in results announced on Wednesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.
    Players needed to be on 75 percent of the 571 ballots cast for election to the Cooperstown shrine.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Banned

Talking Re: Baseball HOF 2014

Congrats to all three me, all worthy enshrinees. My only regrets are Jack Morris not getting in and Craig Biggio waiting another year. I also would have liked to see Jeff Bagwell fare better.

Dave Miedema

Glad to see Maddux and Glavine going in together. Bobby Cox must be so proud to be going in with them.

Was alway a fan of Frank Thomas! Glad to see him get it!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

A great group! Torre had a Braves' connection. He was one of the first Atlanta Braves. I recall that in 1967 Bob Uecker, who was backup catcher behind Torre, said he was Phil Niekro's special catcher because he was more expendable than Torre. (I think Uecker's the one who said that the way to catch a Niekro knuckler was to wait until it stopped rolling and pick it up; or maybe that was said by another knuckler catcher).

Torre also managed the Braves to their second-ever division title in 1982, when the Braves set the MLB record with 13 straight wins to start a season. Torre also gained a division title with the Dodgers after the Yankees gave him a vote of little confidence. My wife got his autograph on the same ball with Lasorda in spring training.

Mantle got an injection for an injury from a quack doctor at the end of the 61 season but it wasn't steroids. Those didn't take off in baseball until much later. Back then no one in baseball lifted weights. It was thought they would make you muscle bound and lose your flexibility. In fact very few football players lifted back then either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    Pete Rose was a scumbag who compromised the game of baseball and broke the cardinal rule of gambling on the sport. He knew what he was doing was wrong and illegal. The steroid guys were just keeping up with everybody else and doing something that was not even tested for or considered illegal by MLB, some would argue that MLB even promoted the use.
    Rose should not be let in before the steroid guys.

Pudge is 100% a steroid guy and 100% should be in the Hall. An incredible catcher playing in that Arlington heat every year.

The best of the best go into the Hall of Fame. The steroid guys were the best of the steroid guys. It all sorts itself out. Juan Gonzalez, Albert Belle, Luis Gonzalez, Brady Anderson and on and on, had great years but did not sustain the greatness. Guys like Sheffield, mentally and physically kept at it long enough to become Hall of Famers.
    True he did bet on the sport...as a manager. His managerial numbers aren't the stats that get him into the hall. He should be in for what he did as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    Mantle got an injection for an injury from a quack doctor at the end of the 61 season but it wasn't steroids. Those didn't take off in baseball until much later. Back then no one in baseball lifted weights. It was thought they would make you muscle bound and lose your flexibility. In fact very few football players lifted back then either.
    Not according to Tom House. According to his admission, steroids were in the game back then. Maybe not 61 but the late 60's they were. Click the link I posted on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    Pete Rose was a scumbag who compromised the game of baseball and broke the cardinal rule of gambling on the sport. He knew what he was doing was wrong and illegal. The steroid guys were just keeping up with everybody else and doing something that was not even tested for or considered illegal by MLB, some would argue that MLB even promoted the use.
    Rose should not be let in before the steroid guys.

Pudge is 100% a steroid guy and 100% should be in the Hall. An incredible catcher playing in that Arlington heat every year.

The best of the best go into the Hall of Fame. The steroid guys were the best of the steroid guys. It all sorts itself out. Juan Gonzalez, Albert Belle, Luis Gonzalez, Brady Anderson and on and on, had great years but did not sustain the greatness. Guys like Sheffield, mentally and physically kept at it long enough to become Hall of Famers.
    And how can you say all the steroids didn't compromise the game of baseball? Look at all this drama surrounding the voting process. If the steroids weren't involved, this discussion isn't even taking place! Steroids compromised the game in a very big way.

I think this is a great class going in though I wish Biggio could have gotten those last two votes to go in this year. Seeing Palmeiro drop off completely with McGwire and Sosa staying on the ballot surprised me a bit. Hope to see Mussinas votes increase a lot in the coming years...