Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Reselling items not in your possession

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleraddict View Post
    Well said. It's exactly like the car dealer that says, " yeah, I can get you that 2014 range rover." which he does not have on his lot. and takes your money. Paid, done deal. Now it's on him to deliver and complete the deal. Meet the criteria of the contract. Or else it's fraud. But not illegal if he finds you one.

You cannot sell another persons legal property to anyone else without their consent, period.

Fiipping is buying low and selling higher.

It is not selling goods that do not belong to you. That is fraud.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    You cannot sell another persons legal property to anyone else without their consent, period.
    Ummm that's obvious and also not what I'm saying.
    I'm saying it's not uncommon for people to find something they know someone wants and offer it around to flip. I've heard if people doing that all the time and it's not illegal.

Banned

For example, I was looking for an item and posted a post a while ago in the items wanted page. A member emailed saying they could get me what I was looking for. They didn't own it but could get it. You really think they sold it to me for as much as they got it for? I doubt that very much. I have received a lot of emails saying peoples "friends" have this or can "get" that. It's pretty much the same thing they just disclose they don't personally have the item
    The only thing illegal would have been if they didn't end up delivering the item. If I get the item I paid for from someone - as long as they obtain it legally - there is nothing illegal happening.

The only way I can see it being not illegal is if the original owner knows what is taking place and give his/her approval.
    This isn't the stock market.
    +1.

This concept is new to me. Unbelievably shady if you don't either own the item or have an agreement with the person who does. There is flipping and there is acting as a broker, this is neither.

If you're just grabbing photos from an unknown seller's listing and then offering that item for sale—you're running a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuleechch View Post
    Ummm that's obvious and also not what I'm saying.
    I'm saying it's not uncommon for people to find something they know someone wants and offer it around to flip. I've heard if people doing that all the time and it's not illegal.
    Okay.
    Let me clarify my feelings on this. Maybe I am not comprehending what some of you have written.
    See if everyone agrees.

1. If I have a bat and you find someone who wants it for a higher price that is fine. As long as you do not sell it to that person before buying it from me first.

2. If you sell my bat before buying it from me, that is illegal.

3. It appears that the thread this is about that the "flipper" had an agreement from someone to buy a bat that someone else had for sale. Apparently after the "flipper" bought the bat his buyer backed out.
    If he had not taken money from his buyer then he did nothing illegal.

4. Wanting to return the item to the original owner because his buyer backed out is simply immoral but not illegal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    If you're just grabbing photos from an unknown seller's listing and then offering that item for sale—you're running a scam.
    Yes I understand what you're saying. But if you receive the item you paid for how is it a scam?

I know that people have done this to me before, both ways, and there's nothing illegal as long as someone gets what they paid for. It may not be "right" but it's not "illegal"

To add to #4............It becomes illegal if the "flipper" accepted money for the item before purchasing it from the original seller. That would be considered theft of goods and fraud.

To add to #4............It becomes illegal if the "flipper" accepted money for the item before purchasing it from the original seller. That would be considered theft of goods and fraud.
    I could be wrong about theft since the item was not stolen and delivered without compensation. The legal terminology could be argued but it would be harder to prove.
    But fraud I believe is a strong case.

Banned

Not if the buyer receives the item. Just like the car analogy used. They take your money for something they don't own but get you.

Be careful with your posts - as Chris said this is thread is only about selling something you don't own