Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Reselling items not in your possession

[QUOTE=emann;342797]I have no idea if it is illegal, but the risk taken by the "seller" certainly makes it more than possible that the buyer won't receive an item. If you're offering something for sale you don't own, how can you be sure it will still be available when you find a buyer? It only works if the original seller knows you're doing this—then you're brokering a transaction. What has been described isn't that...]/QUOTE]

If it isn't available then you send a refund right? Cause if you keep it then that's illegal.
    I'm sure this happens quite frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Just to be clear, the typical scenario we are discussing is when the "broker" has the consent of the seller. I would NEVER enter into a transaction when the seller is offering an item they do not own nor does the owner know the seller is offering the item.
    If you can look back, I do not believe the above is not what the deleted "fraud" post referenced... The thing here Chris is how would you ever know that the seller doesn't own the item?

What was essentially being described was say: seller 1 (the owner of the actual item) lists if for $500, then seller 2 just takes photos from that listing, without consent, and offers that same item, without taking possession or with consent, for $700. If he sells it for $700, he buys it from seller 1 for $500. Quick $200 profit without the risk of his own cash in a flip.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    If you can look back, I do not believe the above is not what the deleted "fraud" post referenced... The thing here Chris is how would you ever know that the seller doesn't own the item?

What was essentially being described was say: seller 1 (the owner of the actual item) lists if for $500, then seller 2 just takes photos from that listing, without consent, and offers that same item, without taking possession or with consent, for $700. If he sells it for $700, he buys it from seller 1 for $500. Quick $200 profit without the risk of his own cash in a flip.
    There is nothing illegal in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuleechch View Post

If it isn't available then you send a refund right? Cause if you keep it then that's illegal. I'm sure this happens quite frequently.
    Right, they just tell you the item isn't available and refund the money.

BTW: Chris, this is why I expressed surprise and asked for additional occurrences in that original thread. I'd only heard of this happening once before and the person doing it was caught in mid-transaction (and it was a slightly altered scam).

It is unfortunate that the original thread degraded to the point you needed to remove it (understandably so).

Look, if I say hey guys I'm looking for a Lebron jersey and get a message saying "hey I can get you this Lebron jersey. Send me this much and I'll send you the jersey" as long as I get the jersey there's nothing illegal. The seller got his money, the "broker"/finder got his and I get the jersey.
    The only time it becomes a legal issue is if I don't get the jersey.
    People aka the seller may not like it if they find out but it's not illegal
    From what it sounds like, people are talking about people who post photos claiming it is theirs to sell. If someone says I can get this for you its different. When you post photos or send photos to someone saying I have this and will sell it to you for 1400 AND they do not have it, that is lying. Dishonest. I have no issue if someone is up front and says they can get it for me, etc. But if you claim to have something in your possession and sell it to me WHILE you do not even own it, thats not something I believe should be done unless the buyer is aware.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed44 View Post
    From what it sounds like, people are talking about people who post photos claiming it is theirs to sell. If someone says I can get this for you its different. When you post photos or send photos to someone saying I have this and will sell it to you for 1400 AND they do not have it, that is lying. Dishonest. I have no issue if someone is up front and says they can get it for me, etc. But if you claim to have something in your possession and sell it to me WHILE you do not even own it, thats not something I believe should be done unless the buyer is aware.
    Yea I get it I think people are just oblivious to this happening as often as it does. I mean I've never asked the seller if they actually physical have the item in their possession at this present time before I've purchased something. I know that I've been offered things the person doesn't have and I know people have offered others things I have.
    It may be wrong, dishonest, shady but at it's not illegal.

So you think that when given the chance to get a $20 finders fee or being a middle man and getting a 200$ cut people are taking the $20?

This only becomes illegal when the buyer doesn't receive the item.
    I have no isse with someone buying something and flipping it. Thats business. But claiming you have an item and offering it for sale is a ____ move. If you want to make money more power to you, but if you're a dishonest prick who says you have something when you dont, I want nothing to do with you.

Yea I get it I think people are just oblivious to this happening as often as it does. I mean I've never asked the seller if they actually physical have the item in their possession at this present time before I've purchased something. I know that I've been offered things the person doesn't have and I know people have offered others things I have.
    It may be wrong, dishonest, shady but at it's not illegal.
    Agreed. I guess I'm just always aware or it is stated that the person has the item when they sell it to me. Too many mistakes can happen when multiple people are involved.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Reselling items not in your possession

So I buy a high end jersey from you for a large sum of money...

You had spent several hours taking pictures, listing it on eBay, answering emails, carefully packaging it, driving to the post office, etc.

I receive the jersey exactly as described. I try my damnedest to flip it for a profit, after a couple weeks I can't find any takers, so I resort to lying a filing a PayPal claim, because I have buyer's remorse.

But that's a perfectly fine thing to do, and you wouldn't mind it at all, because it's not "illegal."

Got it. *rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by PAC View Post
    So I buy a high end jersey from you for a large sum of money...

You had spent several hours taking pictures, listing it on eBay, answering emails, carefully packaging it, driving to the post office, etc.

I receive the jersey exactly as described. I try my damnedest to flip it for a profit, after a couple weeks I can't find any takers, so I resort to lying a filing a PayPal claim, because I have buyer's remorse.

But that's a perfectly fine thing to do, and you wouldn't mind it at all, because it's not "illegal."

Got it. *rolls eyes*
    What he says.