Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who's our Babe Ruth, '52 Mantle or T206 Wagner?

In general anything babe Ruth, 52 topps mantle and to some extent T206 wagner, tho has its own circumstances has steadily increased in value. The dreaded oft used "recession proof". Now even PSA 2,3 mantle cards go for good money. The other lesser HOF value tend to go the way of the economy.

So who is the Holy Grail of our generation?Who is a great investment, given iron clad provenance that will cut thru generations? Has to be an iconic figure. Tiger has taken a beating. More so because of his lack of dominance and Majors. Not his social life. Mick and babe have transcended their social life. Muhammad Ali? Just not enough of his stuff (robes, GU gloves) out there except autographs.

Re: Who's our Babe Ruth, '52 Mantle or T206 Wagner?

Derek Jeter
    It's obvious the Yankee torch has been passed to him! and although not as great as mantle , he is the gold standard in the game used universe, will retire a Yankee! join monument park and no one will ever wear #2 as a Yankee after him

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    Derek Jeter
    It's obvious the Yankee torch has been passed to him! and although not as great as mantle , he is the gold standard in the game used universe, will retire a Yankee! join monument park and no one will ever wear #2 as a Yankee after him
    And Michael Jordan
    Both

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    he is the gold standard in the game used universe
    Actually, I can think of a few members here that are the gold standard in the game used universe
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Wink Re: Who's our Babe Ruth, '52 Mantle or T206 Wagner?

Be interesting to know who they are. Although some may want there anonymity. I'm just glad they're sharing. Wish more would.

I agree with Ken. As long as Jeter doesn't do anything stupid to tarnish his image he will be our generations Joe DiMaggio type icon. He's a Yankee, has 5 WS rings, & 3,000 hits.

I think Pujols was in that league until he went to the Angels. If he would have stuck with the Cards his entire career he would have been revered.

In basketball it's Jordan, Bird and Magic. In football, I think Brady and Manning are at the head of the class.

Derek Jeter & Tom Brady. Jeter is obvious for like 1,000 reasons. Brady is now Joe Montana. Also, as much as I detest the Lakers (and basketball in general, haha) does Kobe match up? I know Jordan is number one, but currently does Kobe rank?

While Kobe is obviously one of the greatest NBA players of all-time, to me he just doesn't fall into the same strata as Magic, Bird & Jordan. Maybe it's generational. I grew up with those three so maybe that makes me a little biased.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerzone79 View Post
    Derek Jeter & Tom Brady. Jeter is obvious for like 1,000 reasons. Brady is now Joe Montana. Also, as much as I detest the Lakers (and basketball in general, haha) does Kobe match up? I know Jordan is number one, but currently does Kobe rank?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    While Kobe is obviously one of the greatest NBA players of all-time, to me he just doesn't fall into the same strata as Magic, Bird & Jordan. Maybe it's generational. I grew up with those three so maybe that makes me a little biased.
    I disagree. I think Kobe is the greatest Laker of all-time. For all L.A. residents a replay of Kobe's 81 point game is on tonight on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet.

We'll I have to admit I was always a Kobe Fan, but I always thought Magic was the greatest Laker ever. Until Kobe started to win championships without Shaquille, I realized that quite possibly Kobe was better. Today, hands down, Kobe is the greatest Laker. Why? Because, Magic says he is, Bird says he is the best and Michael Jordan thinks he is the only NBA player that could beat him in a basketball game. Those players opinions are the reason Kobe will go down as the greatest to ever put on the purple and gold.