Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Re: The Kansas City Royals game used thread

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post
    So I was talking to Sabes this year at Royals Fantasy Camp about the whole Wilson/Rawlings 1989 jersey thing to know what the reason why was. He didn't remember or even notice. I did pick his brain some about his equipment. Sabes remembered that he started hemming his jerseys because he said he hated the front tail. He couldn't exactly remember when this started. In his Royals days he didn't do this but some time around 1994 in my observations his jerseys start to show this.

Sabes also said that he used to change undershirts every inning because he would sweat alot. I missed out on his 1989 game used glove that he auctioned off with SCP last year but started talking with him about his gloves. He said that he started having his gloves made with sweat bands because of his profuse sweating. He said the first year the band smelled so bad from use that in subsequent years they started making the glove so that the band could be changed out. He also said he used to tip his curveball by extending his finger on his glove so he started having a finger hood placed on his glove. This was all pretty interesting stuff to me to hear from the source.
    That's good stuff!!!

Johnny Damon game used Cooper broken (repaired) early Royals era bat (pre 2000)
    This bat was likely used earlier in Damon's career. There are many ball marks throughout the barrel of the bat. American League baseball ink transfers can be seen on the barrel which dates this bat to his Royals days (AL specific baseballs used through 1999). From researching this bat Johnny Damon had tape jobs on his handles at times between 1996-1998 (possible other years but haven't seen). His handle tape job appeared most in photographs in 1997. Below is a picture of Damon using a similar Cooper model bat. The baseball card is a 1996 baseball card. The picture however is likely from Spring Training of 1996, rather than 1995 (Damon wore #51 in 1995), as Damon's #18 is present on the end of the barrel and Damon is wearing a BP jersey (spring training). If I had to guess when this bat was from I would guess 1996, and if not 1996, then 1997.

When I came in to possession of this bat it was already repaired. You can see in the pictures the fracture line going to the end of the barrel.

Johnny Damon 1998 game used Rawlings bat (cracked)
    This 1998 Damon bat also has his tape job that was seen on some of his bats from 1996-99. There is a very slight crack above the tape and below the silver line on the bat. The crack is very similar to the crack on the Sweeney bat posted. I am not too familiar with Rawlings bats, I wonder if this is a normal kind of crack for Rawlings bats. Most of the ball marks are on the right side of the label. A seam mark and some wear marks are seen on the underside of the barrel. Damon's #18 is written on both the knob and the cupped end of the barrel. In 1998 Damon batted .277 with 18 HR 104 R and 66 RBIs. The two pictures of Damon below are from 1997 and 1998 showing Rawlings bats with similar tape jobs. The last pic is from Spring Training of 1999

more bats.....
    Kevin Seitzer 1986-89 era game used cracked bat
    I am not an expert on Kevin Seitzer bats as this is the first Seitzer bat that I have handled. As a kid I didn't love Seitzer because he started playing 3rd base which was to me, George Brett's position. Seitzer had a productive few years for the Royals, he was in All Star in his rookie year and finished second in the ROY voting. As a fan I thought Seitzer's work as hitting coach for the Royals was superb as he helped turn Alex Gordon's career around.

On the bat there is a small crack on the handle. Ball and usage marks are present on the left barrel. I won this bat at auction and during my research the bat seemed to be consistent with photos of Seitzer from that era.
    beautiful Seitzer bat... looks perfect. I felt the same way as a teenager about George moving to first, though the way Seitzer hit that year, I got over it pretty quickly.

These are my two Seitzer items. Unfortunately neither are from his time with the Royals technically, as the bat was taken with him to Milwaukee and has his Brewers #20 on the knob.

Oops, I'll have to get back to you with the pics of the Seitzer bat, but it looks similar to this other Royals bat he took with him.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Picked up this Carlos bat. It has some really good use. I have a good lead on a match but not much hope. Just not a lot of pictures out there. I resized these pics too small...oops.

Picked up this pounded Hosmer GU helmet from 2013. I have it photomatched. I have to sit down and get the good screen captures. I'm very happy to add this.

Forgot to add that on the Gordon game used bats that I have handled his number is typically on both the knob and end of barrel. Here is his "7" from his rookie year
    I had the opportunity to purchase what was supposedly a rookie Alex LS bat with block letters for his name. I didn't purchase because the knob was missing the 7.

Ben, beautiful jersey! Was this the one from Crown Sports?
    Thank you, Michael and yes, that is it.

Ben

Not quite the same angle but you can see the 2 places on the helmet where the pieces are missing. I was kind of lazy on the matches. They aren't too fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
    Picked up this Carlos bat. It has some really good use. I have a good lead on a match but not much hope. Just not a lot of pictures out there. I resized these pics too small...oops.
    Great looking Beltran bat, thanks for sharing.