Odds and Ends

A few Royals legend locker name plates and some Billy Butler cleats
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Re: The Kansas City Royals game used thread

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Guys,

I just added the Hearn post and there was a glitch in the software and all previous photos posted got removed. If you see some of the posts they have 'last edited by metsbats 2:16PM' and the photo(s) attached are now gone. I don't know how this was possible (perhaps there really is a curse of Ed Hearn and he's still haunting the Royals as the worst trade in Royals history and deleted all photos after his was posted).

I'm checking with Doug and Chris to see if the photos can be recovered and will let you know if this is possible. Being in IT I feel it will not be able to be recovered.

If this is the case please send me the photos for each post that got zapped and I will restore the photos to that post. Please just indicate the post number so I can go directly to the post to add the photo(s). In fact since I'm off from work till next Monday please start sending the photos today so I can get ahead start.

Sorry for the inconvenience and messing up the thread.

Here's the list of users whose photos were affected:

MichaelofSF
    shirkr
    campwest
    sportsnbikes

sek122482
    yanks12025
    rj_lucus
    gunnerleighb
    museoven
    tigerdale
    esigs
    ksfarmboy
    juicyfruit66
    ndelvin
    guttaperche
    kdixon
    TBM

David

Ok Keith and Wes photos are restored.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Ok Keith and Wes photos are restored.

Travis (TBM) photos are restored. I'd rather watch the end of game 5 of this years WS again and again then doing this!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    Odds and Ends

A few Royals legend locker name plates and some Billy Butler cleats
    Camp,

I sent along a PM regarding one of the nameplates.

I hope to hear back.

Here is my Alcides Escobar 2015 All-Star game used and signed helmet. Escobar would be one of seven Royals at the 2015 All-Star game and one of three starters. At one point the All-Star voting had eight Royals starting along with Mike Trout. Royals would have had four starters but Alex Gordon got injured before the game and was replaced.

Escobar would go 1-2, using this helmet, in his first ever All-Star game start. AL ended up winning the game and thus ensuring home field advantage for the Royals in the 2015 World Series. Escobar would also go on to be named the 2015 ALCS MVP.

Nice Alcides lid man.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
    Nice Alcides lid man.
    Thanks Sportsnbikes it was one of my first GU helmets. I will be posting another one that I think is equally as good if not better.

Here is my second 2015 All Star game used batting helmet. This one was used by Kansas City Royal Mike Moustakas in his first All-Star game.

Mike was among the top vote getters at third base to start the All-Star game. He led in votes for that position for many weeks but eventually lost out to future 2015 AL MVP Josh Donaldson.

Mike was named as one of the finalists for the last member of the All-Star team. Fans were given four days to vote. Mike came out on top with 19.3 million votes.

Mike had one at bat against Aroldis Chapman in the 9th inning. He struck out on four fast balls that were clocked at 102 mph -103 mph -102 mph -103 mph respectively.

After the All-Star game Mike gave his uniform to his mother and I ended up with his batting helmet.

If you have read many of my posts you may know that not only do I like the items themselves but I love the stories that go with them. This item has a particularly sad story that goes with it. Read it if you want, skip it if you want.

Mikes mother had been sick for two years at this point. He debated not playing in the All-Star game and spending the time off with his mom. His mother told him to go play in the All-Star game and he went.

Below is part of an article that Ken Rosenthal wrote about this.

She would have loved today," Mike said after the Royals' 14-6 victory over the Orioles. "She would have been real excited about it. But she would have liked it more for the fact that we won the game. She always said the team comes first."
    From the time Mike was in Little League, Connie Moustakas was a true baseball mom. She would keep score, even squawk at an umpire on occasion. She loved baseball, and loved that Mike -- her only son and the youngest of her four children -- was devoted to the sport.
    In early May, Mike got a call from Mike Sr. saying that Connie was not well. He left the Royals and flew home with his wife, Stephanie, and ended up missing three games.
    "We stayed in the room with her," Mike said. "My mom has never given up on anything in her life, never quit. Somehow, she ended up turning the corner. A doctor said she wasn't going to make it through the night. She ended up making it through the night.
    "She was doing great. She came out, was talking, coherent, answering questions. It was my mom again. She wasn't just laying there. She told me to come back and play baseball because she loves watching me play."
    In early July, Mike received a call just like the one he received in May, only this time from his wife. He again went on the bereavement/family medical emergency list.
    Again, Connie's fighting spirit prevailed.
    "The doctor said she wasn't looking good, then all of a sudden, the next day, she snaps out of it," Mike said.
    Mike returned to the Royals after missing four games. The day he rejoined the team, on July 10, he learned that he had won the Final Vote, becoming a first-time All-Star and the Royals' seventh representative in the game.
    Connie later enjoyed donning Mike’s All-Star jersey.
    "She was wearing it in the hospital," Mike said. "She was walking around, giving orders like she always used to. She was so proud that I was an All-Star."
    Less than a month later, she was gone.
    Mike said it was an off-day. He was pretty sure it was an off-day. Then again, everything happened so fast, he wasn't completely sure.
    Actually, Aug. 9 was a Sunday. The Royals played that day, beat the White Sox, 5-4. Mike and Stephanie went out to dinner afterward. At around 11:30 p.m., they were sitting on their couch, watching a movie, when Mike Sr. called.
    "I knew it wasn't good," Mike said. "I picked up. He was crying. I started crying. My wife started crying."
    Mike Sr. had been at the hospital with Mike's older sisters, Tina, Alexis and Kim, and other family members. Mike, at Connie's instructions, did not get home to say goodbye. His father had told him that Connie wanted him to "keep going out there, keep playing with the boys, playing the game hard like she always taught me to."

Ken Rosenthal. Sep 13, 2015. Mike Moustakas reflects on mother's passing after career day at plate. Retrieved from http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...t-plate-091315

TBM, really awesome helmets. I think I may have placed a bid or two on those. The Royals leading the all star vote was one of the stories of the first half of what became a championship season!

I don't typically collect position player jerseys for the Royals much anymore, but here is the last one that I picked up:

Mike Sweeney 2006-2007 era game used jersey
    The Royals switched from the road vest to sleeves in 2006. Sweendog had the Captain "C" on his jersey from 2003-2007. I believe this could be from 2007 as in the photo of Sweeney in the dugout there is a loose thread on the captain "C" that is also present on the jersey. It's not enough to call it a match, but could be a start to further research. The jersey is a size 50. There is some pilling present on the jersey. Sweeney has signed the rear "Gods Blessings Mike Sweeney 5x AL All Star 2 Tim 4:6-8"

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post

Mike Sweeney 2006-2007 era game used jersey
    I believe this could be from 2007 as in the photo of Sweeney in the dugout there is a loose thread on the captain "C" that is also present on the jersey. It's not enough to call it a match, but could be a start to further research.
    After looking at the photo and the jersey the 4 holes on the front buttons appear to have a similar if not same tilt as the 4 holes on the front buttons on the jersey. This is in addition to the similar loose thread on the captain "C." The captain "C" also appears to have the same slant/inclination at the open end (right side of a C) of the "C" as it is not flat on the top or bottom of the opening.