Hybrid View

Re: The Kansas City Royals game used thread

1994 Stan Belinda Game Worn Jersey

1994 Kevin Appier Game Worn Jersey...

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    1994 Stan Belinda Game Worn Jersey
    Really cool items Nate, do the Belinda and Appier have evidence of number removal on the front? The tagging looks good but in 94 on the blue alternates there were numbers on the fronts of the jerseys. Either way great looking jerseys, loved those blue alternates and the 94 patch on the sleeve too!

Nice bats Dale, thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post
    1986 David Cone game used rookie jersey

Another Royals Cy Young winner here. 1986 was Cone's rookie year. He was traded away to the Mets for the 87 season but returned to KC in 1993. He won a Cy Young in the 1994 season (If anyone has a 1994 Cone game used jersey let me know).

The jersey is made by Wilson. This jersey was possibly worn during his ML debut. I cannot verify this at all, but Cone made his debut at home. I have attached some screen shots from video of his debut. Unfortunately the game wasn't in HD.
    Yesterday I was able to show David Cone his 1986 rookie jersey. He was participating in American Century's Gold Tournament in Lake Tahoe all week. I brought his rookie jersey to the course. David recognized it and came over to me. He commented that it was a real old jersey and was gracious enough to autograph it. When he said he would sign it he even allowed me to set up a makeshift table (recycling can lid on recycle bin) and took his time to do so. I walked the course a few holes with his group and can say that it was a pleasure interacting with him.

Nice Michael. I haven't met Cone before but he appears to be pretty nice with the fans.

That being said, I am looking to add to my '87 thru '93 jersey collection if anyone has any they would like to sell/trade. I would prefer they be lower end and I'm ok if the NOB is removed.

My first jersey that is really dirty. From 7/25/15 Los Reales game, where Paulo Orlando had a delayed steal of second, and scored the winning run on Escobar's bloop to shallow right. The top left picture shows him on second, while the top right picture is from the post game interview. What do you guys think? Is it a photo match? 😁
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    Nice Michael. I haven't met Cone before but he appears to be pretty nice with the fans.

That being said, I am looking to add to my '87 thru '93 jersey collection if anyone has any they would like to sell/trade. I would prefer they be lower end and I'm ok if the NOB is removed.

WOW dude...you have a great collection. I am absolutely in love with the Blue Appier. I tried buying a 94 jersey

Nice bats Dale, thanks for sharing.

Yesterday I was able to show David Cone his 1986 rookie jersey. He was participating in American Century's Gold Tournament in Lake Tahoe all week. I brought his rookie jersey to the course. David recognized it and came over to me. He commented that it was a real old jersey and was gracious enough to autograph it. When he said he would sign it he even allowed me to set up a makeshift table (recycling can lid on recycle bin) and took his time to do so. I walked the course a few holes with his group and can say that it was a pleasure interacting with him.
    Cone is definitely a super nice guy. He's very down to earth.

Hey guys, new member here. Gotta say I am loving this site and in particular this thread. I've got some Royals game used stuff I would like to share, nothing as good as what I have seen here though. I have been a Royals fan all my life and have picked up a few things here and there.

This is my favorite ball. It is from the very first playoff game I have ever been to, 2014 ALDS game 3 at the K. When I bought this ball, from the authentics store at the time of the game, I just wanted a ball that had been used for more than a pitch in dirt, or passed ball as many of the ones on sale were. I found one and snatched it up before the person behind me could. Little did I realize the historical importance of this ball. It was not until the next day that I was able to look into the ball a bit more. This was the first and second pitched ball used in an ALDS game at the K. It was the first ball put into play, and involved in the first out recorded. This ball was pitched by James Shields to Kole Calhoun with Salvador Perez as the catcher. First pitch was a ball. Second pitch Calhoun hit to center fielder Lorenzo Cain for the out. The ball then gets passed around the infield until it makes its way back to Shields. You can then see Sheilds trying to get the attention of Perez. Shields throws it to Perez and it gets tossed out of play as Mike Trout steps to the plate. The next ball put into play was a Mike Trout Home Run that went into the fountains.

I will post more in the coming days. Lets Keep this thread going....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

1989 Bret Saberhagen game used road jersey

1989 was an odd numbered year, so it was a great year for Sabes. He went 23-6 with a 2.16 ERA. As a kid this was one of my favorite seasons as the Royals were still competitive and Sabes was battling Dave Stewart for the Cy Young.

I obtained this jersey from the 2012 Hunt All Star game auction. We had previously discussed this jersey here . I had missed out on this jersey on ebay but it had had it's name restored and auctioned off for me to win it. Some pilling is present near the chest velcro.

The interesting thing about this jersey is that in 1989 Rawlings was the jersey supplier for the Royals, but this jersey is a Wilson made jersey. An easy way to spot the Wilson and Rawlings jerseys is by the number fonts. Sabes wore both Wilson and Rawlings that year. He was wearing the Wilson when he won his Royals record 23rd win in Oakland. Unfortunately I didn't win the SCP auction for the 1989 Saberhagen glove as that was a beauty. The two baseball cards show the Wilson and Rawlings styles
    So I was talking to Sabes this year at Royals Fantasy Camp about the whole Wilson/Rawlings 1989 jersey thing to know what the reason why was. He didn't remember or even notice. I did pick his brain some about his equipment. Sabes remembered that he started hemming his jerseys because he said he hated the front tail. He couldn't exactly remember when this started. In his Royals days he didn't do this but some time around 1994 in my observations his jerseys start to show this.

Sabes also said that he used to change undershirts every inning because he would sweat alot. I missed out on his 1989 game used glove that he auctioned off with SCP last year but started talking with him about his gloves. He said that he started having his gloves made with sweat bands because of his profuse sweating. He said the first year the band smelled so bad from use that in subsequent years they started making the glove so that the band could be changed out. He also said he used to tip his curveball by extending his finger on his glove so he started having a finger hood placed on his glove. This was all pretty interesting stuff to me to hear from the source.