Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Re: The Kansas City Royals game used thread

Quote Originally Posted by xmartyx View Post
    Hey KC fans, just wondering if any of you could help me out? I just posted a thread here and could really use the input of any of you knowledgeable KC collectors. Thanks!
    I'm posting this in the Royals thread so the information can be accessed with more ease.

I'll preface this by saying I have no knowledge of Kirk Gibson jerseys and styles so I don't know if sizing, cut etc are normal for him.

In 1991 Gibson appeared in 132 games, at least 30 of which were as the DH according to baseball reference.

The jersey itself looks to be from the team, the chest velcro patch appears to be present. I have a 1991 Royals game used jersey and the Rawlings size patch appears to be in the same place on the outside. There appears to be some wash wear as evidenced by the threads on the lettering loosening a little. In my experience, the "set" tags don't tend to show the same amount of wash wear as the other tags like the Rawlings larger size tags do.

I have seen many Royals jerseys that have had the name on backs removed from that era. As far as I know, when they were recycled sewn on nameplates could be sewn over. If there is no evidence of a nameplate removed, then perhaps the lettering was taken off and then never reused/issued.

Fellow Royals collector Leigh B. has a really cool Johnny Damon/Bret Saberhagen recycled jersey. . My Jeff Montgomery jersey was similarly recycled where the name was removed and a nameplate was placed over (I have since had it restored). I have a 1990 Guibcza that had the name removed but not recycled as well.

The Gibson jersey for auction and the jersey Gibson is wearing in the photo are not the same. The jersey in the auction the "3" is further away from the stitching seam than in the photo. The "30" is always higher up on the jersey in question (closer to "Royals"). This does not mean that the jersey isn't good, just means it's not the one in the pic.

Michael,

A couple of follow-up questions:

1. The clean, crisp-looking Set tag doesn't concern you at all, then?
    2. The positioning of the "30" relative to other things - was this something that varied from jersey to jersey? I would've thought it would be pretty absolute, but maybe not?
    3. The lack of nameplate stitch marks - have you seen before where a jersey had a name removed to be recycled and then apparently wasn't?
    4. Have you seen other 1991 jerseys recycled? Or is it just consistent with the period in general?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post
    I'm posting this in the Royals thread so the information can be accessed with more ease.

I'll preface this by saying I have no knowledge of Kirk Gibson jerseys and styles so I don't know if sizing, cut etc are normal for him.

In 1991 Gibson appeared in 132 games, at least 30 of which were as the DH according to baseball reference.

The jersey itself looks to be from the team, the chest velcro patch appears to be present. I have a 1991 Royals game used jersey and the Rawlings size patch appears to be in the same place on the outside. There appears to be some wash wear as evidenced by the threads on the lettering loosening a little. In my experience, the "set" tags don't tend to show the same amount of wash wear as the other tags like the Rawlings larger size tags do.

I have seen many Royals jerseys that have had the name on backs removed from that era. As far as I know, when they were recycled sewn on nameplates could be sewn over. If there is no evidence of a nameplate removed, then perhaps the lettering was taken off and then never reused/issued.

Fellow Royals collector Leigh B. has a really cool Johnny Damon/Bret Saberhagen recycled jersey. . My Jeff Montgomery jersey was similarly recycled where the name was removed and a nameplate was placed over (I have since had it restored). I have a 1990 Guibcza that had the name removed but not recycled as well.

The Gibson jersey for auction and the jersey Gibson is wearing in the photo are not the same. The jersey in the auction the "3" is further away from the stitching seam than in the photo. The "30" is always higher up on the jersey in question (closer to "Royals"). This does not mean that the jersey isn't good, just means it's not the one in the pic.

Shoot, one more question:

If you had to guess, would you think this jersey was legit?

Quote Originally Posted by VanPoppelFan View Post
    Michael,

2. The positioning of the "30" relative to other things - was this something that varied from jersey to jersey? I would've thought it would be pretty absolute, but maybe not?
    3. The lack of nameplate stitch marks - have you seen before where a jersey had a name removed to be recycled and then apparently wasn't?
    4. Have you seen other 1991 jerseys recycled? Or is it just consistent with the period in general?

Thanks!

Salvador Perez Game Used Jersey.-
    Salvador Perez Game Used Jersey In Venezuela.-

Michael,

Thanks!
    1.) I don't know exactly how crisp it is in person. Attached is a 1991 gamer that I have laundered many times because I turned it into a George Brett jersey to wear. The set tag doesn't look that used (definitely not crisp).

2.) The number positioning is not necessarily a consistent thing. I have used number placement on photos to help guide me before but during the same season for the same player there can be alot of variance. See difference in "5" placement for George Brett below

3.) yes the Gubicza jersey that I posted in my last response had his name removed but no nameplate, no other signs of another name.

4.) I would say it was common to the era for the Royals (not an expert, just my observation)

last note, I don't authenticate jerseys for a living, not what I do. My OPINION is this is a jersey from the team that was issued to Gibson and his name was removed after the season. The jersey does seem to show some wash wear which may be attributed to him but I can't verify that and I have never held the jersey in my hands

Michael,

Thank you for the disclaimer at the end, but no sweat; I'm just looking to gather as much information about this as I possibly can. To that end, you have been RIDICULOUSLY helpful. Thank you so, so much; all of the information, the opinion, all of it has been greatly appreciated.

Of course, the only other question I could think of was whether you know anyone who is knowledgeable about Kansas City jerseys who'd be willing and able to have me send the jersey to them for assessment if/when I acquire it? I'd love to send it and pay return shipping and get someone's in-person opinion on the article.

Thanks again! For everything!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post
    1.) I don't know exactly how crisp it is in person. Attached is a 1991 gamer that I have laundered many times because I turned it into a George Brett jersey to wear. The set tag doesn't look that used (definitely not crisp).

2.) The number positioning is not necessarily a consistent thing. I have used number placement on photos to help guide me before but during the same season for the same player there can be alot of variance. See difference in "5" placement for George Brett below

3.) yes the Gubicza jersey that I posted in my last response had his name removed but no nameplate, no other signs of another name.

4.) I would say it was common to the era for the Royals (not an expert, just my observation)

last note, I don't authenticate jerseys for a living, not what I do. My OPINION is this is a jersey from the team that was issued to Gibson and his name was removed after the season. The jersey does seem to show some wash wear which may be attributed to him but I can't verify that and I have never held the jersey in my hands

Michael,

As I was looking for photos of another 1991 jersey for stitching comparison purposes, I found the Gary Thurman on page eight. I relied that it still has its name sewed on. Any idea why a Thurman, without special modifications (based on the tagging), would NOT be recycled, but a Gibson (with an extra inch or whatever) would be?

Thanks again!

Michael,
    Of course, the only other question I could think of was whether you know anyone who is knowledgeable about Kansas City jerseys who'd be willing and able to have me send the jersey to them for assessment if/when I acquire it? I'd love to send it and pay return shipping and get someone's in-person opinion on the article.

Thanks again! For everything!

Larry
    Larry -
    Why don't you just send it to MEARS for an LOA?
    Jerry Sage

Michael,

As I was looking for photos of another 1991 jersey for stitching comparison purposes, I found the Gary Thurman on page eight. I relied that it still has its name sewed on. Any idea why a Thurman, without special modifications (based on the tagging), would NOT be recycled, but a Gibson (with an extra inch or whatever) would be?

Thanks again!
    That Thurman is mine so I'll chime in-- it was definitely recycled and missing the name on the back. I had the great Lon Lewis restore it back to it's normal state. I'd probably say all of my late to early Royals jerseys were missing the name on the back. It was just the norm then.

I personally wouldn't bother with Mears. If you contact Lon and ask him if he'd look at it(for a small fee) he should be able to inspect it and see if there were any number changes/name changes, or if the thread used is incorrect, etc. There are things he finds on a jersey that I couldn't believe. I trust him with my jerseys 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    That Thurman is mine so I'll chime in-- it was definitely recycled and missing the name on the back. I had the great Lon Lewis restore it back to it's normal state. I'd probably say all of my late to early Royals jerseys were missing the name on the back. It was just the norm then.

I personally wouldn't bother with Mears. If you contact Lon and ask him if he'd look at it(for a small fee) he should be able to inspect it and see if there were any number changes/name changes, or if the thread used is incorrect, etc. There are things he finds on a jersey that I couldn't believe. I trust him with my jerseys 100%.
    I've actually had Lon look at one of mine before. I thought he specifically dealt with San Francisco jerseys? If it's actually anything, that'd be amazing. He was a wonderful guy to deal with, and like you said, his attention to detail was nothing short of amazing. I'll have to get in touch with him!