Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jose abreu game used bat????

Quote Originally Posted by beachpetrol View Post
    Would it be considered a tax write-off, if the money goes to a charity??
    The White Sox are donating the money not you. You are buying an item.

Quote Originally Posted by beachpetrol View Post
    Would it be considered a tax write-off, if the money goes to a charity??
    Yes with most teams im sure you could get away with a tax write off but not all. Some auctions mention a percentage going to charity, I would ask mlb or team directly. I know some teams auction instead of sell privately just for the reason of donating to charities.

I don't see the difference between attending an event that is donating 10% of the entire auction winnings to a specific charity and bidding on an mlb auction item with them doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    I don't see the difference between attending an event that is donating 10% of the entire auction winnings to a specific charity and bidding on an mlb auction item with them doing the same thing.
    Exactly. Which is why I am thinking items like the Abreu bat and the Red Sox ring in the other thread are going for so much money, because the winning bidder can use it as a tax write-off.

I won a couple items through the Cubs online auction last year and I received a letter or an email, I can't remember, stating that a portion of my purchases were tax deductible and it had the amount that was deductible on it. It wasn't much, but then again I didn't spend a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    He'll never be a hall of famer and stuff.
    If I had to put money on it, I'd say Abreu will be a Hall of Famer. If you watch him over time I dare say you'll change your mind. He's a hitting machine. He hits for tremendous power and bats well over .300. And he knows how to drive in runs. I've never seen anybody so often swing at pitches that would be called balls and drive in runs. He's having a monster year despite spending time on the disabled list and having clowns like Dunn and Viciedo hitting behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by salukidave View Post
    If I had to put money on it, I'd say Abreu will be a Hall of Famer. If you watch him over time I dare say you'll change your mind. He's a hitting machine. He hits for tremendous power and bats well over .300. And he knows how to drive in runs. I've never seen anybody so often swing at pitches that would be called balls and drive in runs. He's having a monster year despite spending time on the disabled list and having clowns like Dunn and Viciedo hitting behind him.
    You're right. I guess whenever a player has a good year, they should be considered a hall of famer right away. Lol

Also he's 27, no way he puts up enough numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by salukidave View Post
    Wow, a HOF'er? Sign me up for that bet. I'll take it all day long, just let me know how much.

Same guy won the bat and the jersey. Over 12K!!!! I almost guarantee you can get a jersey at the garage sale for $1500 and a bat for $500. I don't see them pricing them over Konerko or Sale. What a waste of money. Usually stars with the team sit at the $500 range. When they leave they go up. The last 3 years or so Konerko bats were $500.

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    Same guy won the bat and the jersey. Over 12K!!!! I almost guarantee you can get a jersey at the garage sale for $1500 and a bat for $500. I don't see them pricing them over Konerko or Sale. What a waste of money. Usually stars with the team sit at the $500 range. When they leave they go up. The last 3 years or so Konerko bats were $500.
    I can't say 100% but I have a feeling the winning bidder red1035 is a card company and you will soon be able to get pieces of these items soon. That bidder ID has won and bid on a ton of very high end items recently from all teams. Seems to be going after young stars.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    You're right. I guess whenever a player has a good year, they should be considered a hall of famer right away. Lol

Also he's 27, no way he puts up enough numbers.
    It won't be about compiling 14 good seasons with Abreu. It'll be about dominating for eight or so.

And no, I didn't say he should be considered a Hall of Famer right away. I said, if I had to bet, I'd bet on him being a Hall of Famer. Big difference.

Abreu is not a Cespedes or Puig or Harper. He's a much better hitter than any of them.