Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Game used item you you've obsessed the most over?

I'm currently looking for game used Reds bats from players that have played since I've been around (1980). Players that stood out for one reason or another. Some are all time greats and some are just players that stood out for one reason or another (Roberto Kelly for one of the worst trades we've ever made, for example). I've been looking all over the internet and spending way too much time on it.

I've spent a ton of time on Eric Davis items before and trying to match different jerseys or bats. It made me wonder what item others have obsessed over the most. It can be something you have and have been trying to match for years or it can be an item you've been looking for but havent been able to find. Anyway, out of boredom, I thought I'd ask.

Re: Game used item you you've obsessed the most over?

This is what happens when you post a question when you're wife is talking to you. I repeated you in the title and basically the same sentence in the post. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed44 View Post
    This is what happens when you post a question when you're wife is talking to you. I repeated you in the title and basically the same sentence in the post. My apologies.
    I'm married and older than you so I can give you some advice.....it's better to just ignore the wife when working on baseball matters!!

Item I've searched for for a while was Pujols' 2001 #68 ST jersey home or away. I suspect there may be 2 of each at most. Settled on his 2000 AFL jersey home.

A game used sign glove that Juan Gonzalez personally gave to me, which I sold to a GUU member, in order to make another big purchase. At the time, I didn't care, as I wanted the item I was chasing. As time as passed, it has eaten away at me. I hit him up a few times to let him know when he sells it to let me know, but I have been obsessing over it.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

photo-matched Elway lid. However, it's easy not to be too obsessed over something that will never, ever happen.

Maine Guides AAA jerseys. They've got to be out there. I have only ever seen two & heard of a third. My collection needs a road bad! Of course the Holy Grail for a sox fan would be an 84 John Farrell Guides jersey.

A George Brett game used bat with lots of use.

Trying to locate a old Logo Buccaneers helmet that was attributed to a traceable player and one that I could photo match.

Took me about 10 years to find it, but just ran it down this last December - Alvin Harper's 1995 game used Bucs helmet.

Three or four years ago I was at my local mall for some reason and there was a card/sports memorabilia show going on. I took a quick look at the 10-12 dealer tables and nothing caught my eye other than a group of three game used MN Twins bats (Hrbek, Gladden and Larkin). The bats were all pretty nice (the Hrbek in particular showed nice use and was uncracked) but I was new(-ish) to the hobby and thought they were asking a little too much for them, so I passed on the lot. I also failed to ask the dealer for his card. I then spent the next 3-4 years trying to track down an uncracked Hrbek bat for my collection (and offered folks probably twice what the dealer had been asking for his).

In November, I attended one of the 2-3 bigger card/sports memorabilia shows we have here in the Twin Cities (which these days means a half ballroom of dealers at most). Sure enough, as I'm looking at one of the tables, I see those same three bats and look up and immediately recognize the dealer and his wife as being the same folks I met at the mall 3-4 years ago.

The bats had the same sticker prices as they had in our previous meeting. So, I managed to contain my excitement, negotiated a $25 discount on the Hrbek bat, paid for the bat and only then told them the tale of how I'd been searching for that bat for so many years.

It isn't a big dollar item but the thrill of tracking down the bat is one of the reasons I love this hobby so much.

I've been actively searching for a Carlos Guillen game used Detroit Tigers road jersey for over a year now. His 2006 World Series jersey came up in the last Goldin auction, but it was more than I could spend right now. This would seem to be a pretty common item, but no luck for almost a year...

mbrieve at yahoo dot com