Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

I am shocked beyond belief. I will tell the whole story later tonight. I took the jersey to John's house to show him. What a day it was for him and me! I can't post pics with my smart phone. Could someone please contact me so you could post the photos of me and John? Thanks so much! Bruce

brucecaplinger@yahoo.com

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Quote Originally Posted by VERIS#60 View Post
    I am shocked beyond belief. I will tell the whole story later tonight. I took the jersey to John's house to show him. What a day it was for him and me! I can't post pics with my smart phone. Could someone please contact me so you could post the photos of me and John? Thanks so much! Bruce

brucecaplinger@yahoo.com
    Congratulations Bruce!

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Congratulations Bruce!

-Chris
    Thanks Chris! I can't wait to post picks. I am not sure who was shaking more, me or John. Great story behind this jersey! Not only will Phillies fans appreciate this, but everyone. Thanks again!

If anyone could help me to post 4 photos, that would be great! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VERIS#60 View Post
    If anyone could help me to post 4 photos, that would be great! Thanks!
    Hey Bruce,

I'm headed out but will be back later this afternoon (PST). If you want to email the pictures to me, I'll see if I can post them when I return. I know this is important to you.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Here are the photos...can't wait to hear the story!

Peace!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by swainer View Post
    Here are the photos...can't wait to hear the story!

Peace!

John
    Thank you so much John for posting my picks! It is a great story and notice the endless smile on John's face. I think he teared up a little. I did...I will post story in a little bit. Thanks again! Love GUU!

OK, I only collect athletes from my small hometown of Chillicothe , Ohio. Some of the players are Neil Johnston(NBA), john Herrnstein(Phillies, Cubs, Braves), Elbie Nickel(Steelers), Dave Juenger(Bears), Greg Cook(Bengals), Grain Veris(Patriots), Scott Bailes(Mlb) and Ben Hartsock(current NFL). I went to john's house this morning with a box in my hand. After he invited me to the kitchen and have a seat, I said, ''What was some of your highlights of your career? No I in his team. ''Well, it was actually nothing good, the fall of the 1964 Phillies. He then told me the story, but I wasn't listening to well as I was shaking to death. I said, ''What was your best personal highlight? He said, ''Oh, that's easy, it would have to be my first major league home run''. He proceeded to tell me, but I already knew the story. It was September 24th, 1963, at SF with two outs in the ninth inning of a 4-4 ball game. John Herrnstein strolled to the plate to ph against Mr Perfect, Don Larsen. He proceeded to hit a fly ball to right field that he knew Willie Mays was gonna track down. Well, at Candlestick Park, anything is possible. The ball just barely made it over the fence. Phillies win 5-4. While doing some research on a #21 game used jersey of Herrnstein from 1962. I found he wore two numbers in 1963, #21 and #44. After further research, thanks to baseball almanac, he wore the jersey that was assigned to Marcelino Lopez, #44. I said,''John, do you remember what number you were wearing when you hit that first major league home run? He said,''Sure, #44''. I reached into my box and pulled out the jersey he was wearing and said,''Did it look something like this"? He said,''Oh my gosh, you have got to be kidding me''! He was moved to nearly tears as I was too. He raved and raved about my recent purchase in the Grey Flannel Auction. A Marcelino Lopez/John Herrnstein game used Phillies 1963 flannel. He even said he remembered Lopez chainstitched in the back collar of the jersey. He said he knew Lopez wore that for a month before both were sent to the minore at about or the same time. When John was recalled in September he was assigned #44, as Havey Kuene was assigned his number. I think I spelled Harvey Kuene right. I plan on displaying this jersey, along with some others, around town in some restaurants. It was a great day for us and even his wife! I will post one more story he told me later. Love GUU!

Great story and pics! So... it being Christmas time and all... maybe you gift it to him? He looks too happy just to take it away from him!

Great find!

Great story! Log that you both can share in the experience.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca