X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nnunnari
    Banned
    • Sep 2006

Re: Mike Schmidt phillies games used bat

Dewey- I would have to see the bat up close but I would bet this bat was gifted to a friend/kid/family who then played with it in their backyard. The use does not seem consistent with big league use. There appears to be water damage on the knob and possibly barrel end. The flaking of the finish on the barrel suggests post play use. The cracks also look suspicious. The bat appears to have been cracked more than once, not to mention the tape job and removal. No other player's writing on the knob also makes me believe it was used by a kid. Again, I would have to see the bat up close. Is it one of Schmidt's bats? Yes. Is that his handwriting on the knob? Yes. Could have been used by him as well. I highly doubt he was the last person to use it or break it.
    I was just trying to answer his question of why a bat which is beat up that much could negatively affect the value.
    It's always a good idea to save up the extra money to buy a quality piece.

Comment

• metsbats
      • Nov 2005

The knob of the bat seemed to have been sanded as there is bare wood on the surface. The knob surface should be consistent with the rest of the bat during the aging process. I agree with Nick that it may have been used after Schmidt cracked it.
      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Hoosier39
        • Jul 2013

If you guys are worried about bats being used by someone else after they are disposed of by the player because they are no longer usable for a game, and are concerned about it, then we should all consider getting rid of our gamers from 1920 to about 1990. Happened all the time- a bat cracked, player gives it to a kid and they tape it up for the sandlot.

I don't believe to think the knob was sanded down. Like I said, this was sold with about 6 other gamers that all appeared to be fine, including a Raines and Gary Carter gamer.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
          • Oct 2005

I don't see a sanded knob, otherwise the stampings would be gone. I see water damage.

Ken

Comment

• Nnunnari
            Banned
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Hoosier39
            If you guys are worried about bats being used by someone else after they are disposed of by the player because they are no longer usable for a game, and are concerned about it, then we should all consider getting rid of our gamers from 1920 to about 1990. Happened all the time- a bat cracked, player gives it to a kid and they tape it up for the sandlot.

I don't believe to think the knob was sanded down. Like I said, this was sold with about 6 other gamers that all appeared to be fine, including a Raines and Gary Carter gamer.
            Not quite sure what you're saying here Terry. I think you're agreeing that the bat was taped up and given to a kid who used it? Yes, I would definitely be concerned with that.
            Just because the bat was sold with six other gamers that "appeared" to be fine, does not mean this bat is "fine".

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

Ken,

Would the "20" and "32" be affected by water damage. The ink marks look pretty dark which is why to me it looked sanded. I don't believe the stamping would be removed completely if the knob was sanded just to remove old markings.

I think the price paid for this bat was fair and up to par with its condition and use. Typically early 80's Schmidt gamers go for between 1K - 2500K.

-David
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Abigballs
                • Dec 2013

Thanks for all the great feedback, for a 1st timer this has been very informative. Can't wait to take this baby to the batting cages and crush a few homers Shimty style. Haha, just kidding

Comment

• MGHProductions
                  • Oct 2005

Hey guys.
                  I was the seller as some of you mentioned. The bat was looked at by some other guys that I respect and had no concerns other than it was broke in 2. I don't believe it has secondary use. The tape is older on it as you can tell, and good luck hitting a ball with. It came with a 10 other game used bats which all had legit use . The knob isn't fooled with at all. Anyone ever try to remove marker from wood? You can tell when its tampered with. No water damage either. The bat was cracked and recovered at Olympic Stadium
                  You can always reach me at Bub13@aol.com if you have any concerns about my items
                  matt

Comment

Working...