Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

HELP: Vintage NY Football Giants Jersey

I just picked up an awesome NY Giants game worn jersey. The jersey does not have a name on the back but is complete with late 1960’s early 1970’s Sand-Knit tagging.

In my research, I have been unable to locate who wore, if worn at all, the #46 for the Giants from 1967-1970. If anyone can help, please email at the below address. Thanx, Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Re: HELP: Vintage NY Football Giants Jersey

Hi Jim,
    I can help a little bit.

If the jersey was worn in 1969, it would have an NFL 50th patch.

If the jersey was worn in 1970, it would have a name on back. So it can't be a 1970.

So if the jersey is real, it would be pre-1969. Can you post photos? I have media guides back to the 1950s at home, and I'd be happy to look up who wore 46 in the late '60s. But photos of the jersey would help.

Regards,

Barry Meisel
    MeiGray

Banned

Barry, thanks for the response. The first think I looked for when I got the jersey was remnants of the NFL 50th Anniversary patch. I am positive one was never on the jersey. I am not so sure about a nameplate on the back because it looks like there just MAY HAVE been one on there. All of the numbers are sewn onto the jersey. The sleeve-ends are cuffed with elastic. It is a classic style of jersey.

Thanx again, Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice jersey!
    From the tags, I would date it to 1973 or 1974...

cohibasmoker regarding the tags, concievably the jersey could have been even earlier, possibly 71 or 72 while i'm not a n.y. giants "expert" i have seen that style of sandknit tagging in use for other teams as early as 1971.

From what I can research, I think it is either 1973 or 1974 Giants jersey. If 1973 Walter Love DB would have worn it in exhibition season up to game vs. the Jets. If 1974 Dewey Singleton would have worn it in exhibition season up to Aug 17 game vs. Jets. Hope this helps. Could not find a 46 on roster 1970 thru 1972.

Banned

You guys are the best. Thanx so much for the information. Believe me, the scans do not do the jersey any justice at all.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all !!!!!

Jim