Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Angry Re: Christian Laettner "The Shot" Jersey - Lelands Auction

Quote Originally Posted by JDubbs73 View Post
    Wow! One-hundred grand out of the gate. Everything better be ironclad. Then again, crazier things have happened in this hobby.

Side note, has anyone seen "provenance" referred to as "providence" before?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/providence
    I thought "Providence" was a city in Rhode Island?...

That reminds me of another hobby lexicon gaffe that makes my skin crawl...people referring to authentication as "authentification".

Dave Miedema

Re: Christian Laettner "The Shot" Jersey - Lelands Auction

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleraddict View Post
    ? Even if your a duke fan. Is this your holy grail worth laying six figures? Maybe I'd pay that for the immaculate reception ball..maybe.
    I'm thinking not even Laettner would pay it. Probably better chance hitting that number with a lower opening bid.

$115,000 or $120000 already if you include the fee. Although sure they would give the owner a break.
    I think of the things I could have other than that jersey and I am thinking no. I could get a Rodgers, Brady, and Manning trio of used jerseys plus way more...I'd prefer that personally.

At some point you have to take quantity over quality. That jersey will eventually get boring to talk about if that's all you really have. I'd rather have a whole room full of cool stuff.

Honestly, I say its all a publicity stunt..... Recently the Jordan flu game shoes sold for over 100k, when Goldin rightfully sued Kobe in 2013, ect.... They both were major events that was run on News channels and ESPN not just memorabilia nuts like ourselves saw it. When this jersey hit the waves I highly doubt that Lelands really believed that they would have a bidding war or even a single real bid on it....However if they do its that much better for them. But as I am going into a degree for sports marketing I call this a genius idea....Free advertising in a world where NOTHING is free. As we see it has already generated quite the buzz here, who's to say some millionaire duke alum doesn't see a news article on the jersey and buy it for his wall.....as it has been said, crazier things have happened!

Looks like someone bit...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...e-sells-119500

Peace,

John

Saw this earlier, can't say I'm surprised. Congrats to the winner. Like it or not, it's an iconic piece of sports history.

Hmm, certainly comes off as less than ironclad provenance. Or 'providence' as in the spirit of this auction...