Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dewey2007
    • Dec 2007

Christian Laettner "The Shot" Jersey - Lelands Auction

Anyone think this jersey from arguably the most memorable game/play in college basketball history will get any action at this starting bid?

sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com
  • JDubbs73
    • Dec 2011

Re: Christian Laettner "The Shot" Jersey - Lelands Auction

Wow! One-hundred grand out of the gate. Everything better be ironclad. Then again, crazier things have happened in this hobby.

Side note, has anyone seen "provenance" referred to as "providence" before?

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Comment

• Steeleraddict
      • Nov 2012

Crazy. But you're right crazier things have happened.
      I say no bids. Rather, no legitimate bids.

Comment

• Dewey2007
        • Dec 2007

I've seen the word "providence" used on this site a number of times when I believe they meant to say "provenance".

Would have been nice if Leland's had posted the letter of providence/provenance on the auction listing too.

Originally posted by JDubbs73
        Wow! One-hundred grand out of the gate. Everything better be ironclad. Then again, crazier things have happened in this hobby.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/providence
        sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• emann
          • Nov 2008

Photomatch? On quick glance, the letters seem like they're all angled the same as the Leland's jersey...

Comment

• JDubbs73
            • Dec 2011

I did see that photo. It was the highest resolution photo I could find with a quick Google search. The placement and direction of the letters looks pretty good. Unfortunately, it's gonna be a tough sell unless you can get a photo to show mesh holes and loose threads.

Comment

• emann
              • Nov 2008

I did see that photo. It was the highest resolution photo I could find with a quick Google search. The placement and direction of the letters looks pretty good. Unfortunately, it's gonna be a tough sell unless you can get a photo to show mesh holes and loose threads.
              2nd mortgage?

Yeah, I feel the reserve price is a little high without photomatch support (or being directly consigned by Laettner)... I guess a high-powered grad might buy it and gift it back to Duke (where it really belongs).

Comment

• John in KY
                • Dec 2007

I suspect that starting bid is to prevent some Kentucky fan from buying it to burn outside of Rupp Arena as a pregame ritual.

Comment

• JDubbs73
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by John in KY
                  I suspect that starting bid is to prevent some Kentucky fan from buying it to burn outside of Rupp Arena as a pregame ritual.
                  Funny! Although the Chicago Cubs - Steve Bartman ball sold for over $100K and suffered such a fate.

Comment

• Steeleraddict
                    • Nov 2012

? Even if your a duke fan. Is this your holy grail worth laying six figures? Maybe I'd pay that for the immaculate reception ball..maybe.
                    I'm thinking not even Laettner would pay it. Probably better chance hitting that number with a lower opening bid.

$115,000 or $120000 already if you include the fee. Although sure they would give the owner a break.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/providence
                      I thought "Providence" was a city in Rhode Island?...

That reminds me of another hobby lexicon gaffe that makes my skin crawl...people referring to authentication as "authentification".

Dave Miedema

Comment

• johnsontravis@ymail.com
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Steeleraddict
                        ? Even if your a duke fan. Is this your holy grail worth laying six figures? Maybe I'd pay that for the immaculate reception ball..maybe.
                        I'm thinking not even Laettner would pay it. Probably better chance hitting that number with a lower opening bid.

$115,000 or $120000 already if you include the fee. Although sure they would give the owner a break.
                        I think of the things I could have other than that jersey and I am thinking no. I could get a Rodgers, Brady, and Manning trio of used jerseys plus way more...I'd prefer that personally.

At some point you have to take quantity over quality. That jersey will eventually get boring to talk about if that's all you really have. I'd rather have a whole room full of cool stuff.

Comment

• tkettmn
                          • Mar 2013

Honestly, I say its all a publicity stunt..... Recently the Jordan flu game shoes sold for over 100k, when Goldin rightfully sued Kobe in 2013, ect.... They both were major events that was run on News channels and ESPN not just memorabilia nuts like ourselves saw it. When this jersey hit the waves I highly doubt that Lelands really believed that they would have a bidding war or even a single real bid on it....However if they do its that much better for them. But as I am going into a degree for sports marketing I call this a genius idea....Free advertising in a world where NOTHING is free. As we see it has already generated quite the buzz here, who's to say some millionaire duke alum doesn't see a news article on the jersey and buy it for his wall.....as it has been said, crazier things have happened!

Comment

• swainer
                            • Feb 2012

Looks like someone bit...

A jersey believed to have been worn by Christian Laettner when he took the famous turnaround jumper to lead the Duke Blue Devils over Kentucky Wildcats in the 1992 NCAA tournament has been sold by an auction house for $119,500.

Peace,

John
                            Always interested in Lance Parrish game used items. Looking for any Tigers game used jersey, game used glove, road Mariners jersey, and 94 Pirates home jersey. Contact me at john.swainer at gmail dot com

Comment

• JDubbs73
                              • Dec 2011

Saw this earlier, can't say I'm surprised. Congrats to the winner. Like it or not, it's an iconic piece of sports history.

Comment

Working...