Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ryne Sandberg Used Cleats - Help Identifying?

Hello! This is my first time posting in this great forum. I could use a little expert advice from the community.

I recently purchased this pair of Ryne Sandberg game worn cleats. They're size 9.5, and show light to moderate use, even what appears to be red clay/dirt on their soles.

However, I've had trouble pinning down what year they might be from. I've searched for these Nike Pro cleats, and can't quite pinpoint from what era they might be from. Any thoughts on what year?

Second, any thoughts on what the best service would be to have these authenticated?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Ryne Sandberg Used Cleats - Help Identifying?

And here's a photo of the bottom, if that helps with identification.

Congrats, and welcome! I'll preface by saying that I don't collect baseball. I looked through Getty Images a bit and they seem very close to a pair he is shown wearing in May 1993. I've included a few links below:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...-photo/1402853

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...-photo/1402842

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...-photo/1402801

I'm sure the baseball folks can point you to an authenticator, but I would imagine that Mears could be of assistance. How did you acquire them?

Quote Originally Posted by JDubbs73 View Post
    Congrats, and welcome! I'll preface by saying that I don't collect baseball. I looked through Getty Images a bit and they seem very close to a pair he is shown wearing in May 1993. I've included a few links below:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...-photo/1402842
    Wow, Jason. Nice work. I'm looking very closely at the 1402842 photo in particular. Not only do they look like the same model of shoe, but they have similar wear markings. Zooming in, it even looks like the same silver ink on the lace flap of the left shoe, also, with Sandberg's name. The wear on the inside toe of the right shoe also looks similar to my pair. I may just be seeing what I WANT to see, though

That said, there's also some sort of black markings on the Swoosh in the photograph that I don't see on my pair.

I purchased these as part of a small lot Cubs memorabilia. I've collected Sandberg over the years, but never game used. This is my first GU "Find" of any significance.

Mears just a few minutes ago quoted a price of $150 to authenticate. May go with that, unless I get any other feedback from forum members.

Here are two photos of the shoes positioned in a manner mirroring the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by mcastellon View Post
    That said, there's also some sort of black markings on the Swoosh in the photograph that I don't see on my pair.
    Are you talking about the swoosh on the sides of the cleats? I took that to be the break caused by the blue leather overlap and not a marking.

FWIW, some on this forum have access to Getty. They may be able to help you in purchasing a higher resolution photo. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JDubbs73 View Post
    Are you talking about the swoosh on the sides of the cleats? I took that to be the break caused by the blue leather overlap and not a marking.
    You're right. I think it's just the natural break in the pattern. From Getty, I've isolated some pretty convincing photos.

A few photos in the 1993 section of the Getty search you provided are not only convincing, but they appear to be exact matches. If anyone can help secure a full res Getty image, I'd be ecstatic.

Banned

mcastellon - shoot me an email!

There should be a bunch of numbers inside the tongue, that will tell you when the shoes were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier39 View Post
    There should be a bunch of numbers inside the tongue, that will tell you when the shoes were made.

I see numbers on inside heel of each shoe. "Made in China. 920112 LN 2." Then in that box is the sizing information for the US and other countries, and then: "515020 410 00".

Below that is a long patent number.

IN MY OPINION....Those are definately Ryno cleats. I believe the numbers mean 92 (year) 01 (month) 12 (date)

So being worn in 93 makes sense.

The cursive writing on the tongue are exactly like walton and sutcliffe cleats I own. Some call it "Yosh" writting.

Hope that helps. They are beauties, if you ever move them, keep me in mind.