Ryne Sandberg Used Cleats - Help Identifying?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcastellon
    • Dec 2013

Ryne Sandberg Used Cleats - Help Identifying?

Hello! This is my first time posting in this great forum. I could use a little expert advice from the community.

I recently purchased this pair of Ryne Sandberg game worn cleats. They're size 9.5, and show light to moderate use, even what appears to be red clay/dirt on their soles.

However, I've had trouble pinning down what year they might be from. I've searched for these Nike Pro cleats, and can't quite pinpoint from what era they might be from. Any thoughts on what year?

Second, any thoughts on what the best service would be to have these authenticated?
    Attached Files
  • mcastellon
    • Dec 2013

Re: Ryne Sandberg Used Cleats - Help Identifying?

And here's a photo of the bottom, if that helps with identification.
    Attached Files

Comment

• JDubbs73
      • Dec 2011

Congrats, and welcome! I'll preface by saying that I don't collect baseball. I looked through Getty Images a bit and they seem very close to a pair he is shown wearing in May 1993. I've included a few links below:

Second baseman Ryne Sandberg of the Chicago Cubs swings at the ball during a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. Mandatory Credit: Jonathan Daniel /Allsport

I'm sure the baseball folks can point you to an authenticator, but I would imagine that Mears could be of assistance. How did you acquire them?

Comment

• mcastellon
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by JDubbs73
        Congrats, and welcome! I'll preface by saying that I don't collect baseball. I looked through Getty Images a bit and they seem very close to a pair he is shown wearing in May 1993. I've included a few links below:

Second baseman Ryne Sandberg of the Chicago Cubs stands on the field during a game against the San Diego Padres at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. Mandatory Credit: Jonathan Daniel /Allsport
        Wow, Jason. Nice work. I'm looking very closely at the 1402842 photo in particular. Not only do they look like the same model of shoe, but they have similar wear markings. Zooming in, it even looks like the same silver ink on the lace flap of the left shoe, also, with Sandberg's name. The wear on the inside toe of the right shoe also looks similar to my pair. I may just be seeing what I WANT to see, though

That said, there's also some sort of black markings on the Swoosh in the photograph that I don't see on my pair.

I purchased these as part of a small lot Cubs memorabilia. I've collected Sandberg over the years, but never game used. This is my first GU "Find" of any significance.

Mears just a few minutes ago quoted a price of $150 to authenticate. May go with that, unless I get any other feedback from forum members.

Here are two photos of the shoes positioned in a manner mirroring the photo.
        Attached Files

Comment

• JDubbs73
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mcastellon
          That said, there's also some sort of black markings on the Swoosh in the photograph that I don't see on my pair.
          Are you talking about the swoosh on the sides of the cleats? I took that to be the break caused by the blue leather overlap and not a marking.

FWIW, some on this forum have access to Getty. They may be able to help you in purchasing a higher resolution photo. Best of luck!

Comment

• mcastellon
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by JDubbs73
            Are you talking about the swoosh on the sides of the cleats? I took that to be the break caused by the blue leather overlap and not a marking.
            You're right. I think it's just the natural break in the pattern. From Getty, I've isolated some pretty convincing photos.

A few photos in the 1993 section of the Getty search you provided are not only convincing, but they appear to be exact matches. If anyone can help secure a full res Getty image, I'd be ecstatic.
            Attached Files

Comment

• AstrosGU
              Banned
              • May 2011

mcastellon - shoot me an email!

Comment

• Hoosier39
                • Jul 2013

There should be a bunch of numbers inside the tongue, that will tell you when the shoes were made.

Comment

• mcastellon
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Hoosier39
                  There should be a bunch of numbers inside the tongue, that will tell you when the shoes were made.

I see numbers on inside heel of each shoe. "Made in China. 920112 LN 2." Then in that box is the sizing information for the US and other countries, and then: "515020 410 00".

Below that is a long patent number.

Comment

• BIGSTIG
                    • Apr 2008

IN MY OPINION....Those are definately Ryno cleats. I believe the numbers mean 92 (year) 01 (month) 12 (date)

So being worn in 93 makes sense.

The cursive writing on the tongue are exactly like walton and sutcliffe cleats I own. Some call it "Yosh" writting.

Hope that helps. They are beauties, if you ever move them, keep me in mind.

Comment

• BIGSTIG
                      • Apr 2008

Sorry flip flop day and month.

Made 12/01/92

I BELIEVE!!!

Comment

• mcastellon
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by BIGSTIG
                        IN MY OPINION....Those are definately Ryno cleats. I believe the numbers mean 92 (year) 01 (month) 12 (date)

So being worn in 93 makes sense.

The cursive writing on the tongue are exactly like walton and sutcliffe cleats I own. Some call it "Yosh" writting.

Hope that helps. They are beauties, if you ever move them, keep me in mind.
                        Thanks for the input! It's really nice to have a year and season to reference.

I wouldn't mind getting these signed someday.

Comment

• BU54CB
                          • Jul 2010

Great cleats, even better to have a nice photo match. His signature would be a great addition. He usually signs at the Sun Times shows in Chicago.

I'd love to get a GU item of Sandberg someday, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by mcastellon
                            Wow, Jason. Nice work. I'm looking very closely at the 1402842 photo in particular. Not only do they look like the same model of shoe, but they have similar wear markings. Zooming in, it even looks like the same silver ink on the lace flap of the left shoe, also, with Sandberg's name. The wear on the inside toe of the right shoe also looks similar to my pair. I may just be seeing what I WANT to see, though

I purchased these as part of a small lot Cubs memorabilia. I've collected Sandberg over the years, but never game used. This is my first GU "Find" of any significance.

Mears just a few minutes ago quoted a price of $150 to authenticate. May go with that, unless I get any other feedback from forum members.

Here are two photos of the shoes positioned in a manner mirroring the photo.
                            you have photo of the tag inside the cleats. it should date the cleats.
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com
                            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• jbean023
                              • Nov 2011

mcastellon welcome to the forum! If you wouldn't mind please shoot me an email I would appreciate it.

Comment

Working...