X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MichaelofSF
    • Apr 2007

Re: January 2014 "Pick-Ups" Thread

Originally posted by Preston
    Alterraun Verner's Titans jersey from the last home game of the season, 12/29/2013 v. Houston. I believe this was worn in other games as well as there's a repair over the size (38) tag.
    That's a good looking jersey. Love the colors and patches

Comment

• Nnunnari
      Banned
      • Sep 2006

Early Frank Thomas gamer with excellent use, many deep seam marks, from Dennis Martinez' personal collection.

Comment

• Preston
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by MichaelofSF
        That's a good looking jersey. Love the colors and patches
        I appreciate it Michael! I know it was for sure used in the 12/29/2013 game v. Houston as I got it directly after but with the repair on the year/size tag I am looking for other games it was used in - for the Titans gamers I've photomatched to multiple games they've been used in back-to-back games that they've worn that color jersey in, so I'm looking for pics of him vs. Arizona 12/15/2013.

This is truly one of my favorite pieces, because I've gotten to know Alterraun and he's a really good guy. I hope hope hope he is wearing Titan blue in 2014 and many years to come but he played his butt off this year (2nd team All Pro also) and should (deservedly) cash in.

Comment

• johnsontravis@ymail.com
          • Dec 2013

Got this jersey and looks like I photo matched it to be game used also. As im sure most baseball fans know 2011 all stars wore these special jerseys with the stars the week before the all star game. The Brewers wore these jerseys once during that time on the Friday before and only one other retro jersey like this exists and that would be Prince Fielder's version.

I couldn't pass the opportunity to get such a unique jersey and even happier now that it is photo matched.

To make things even more unique Weeks hit an inside the park home run and later celebrated a Brewer's walk off win.

Comment

• Vincent
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by hrvatwill
            Got this 1986 gamer from...ME!...LOL......my parents found it in the attic and sent it to me for Christmas.....as I forgot that I had it, it felt like a new addition....so I decided to display it between my Andrew McCutchen and Robinson Cano 2012 game used helmets in my in-progress man cave.....all three show tons of use!!! (not evident in picture)......haha, just love this hobby......
            Who is the player? Or is it just a used helmet?

Comment

• yanks12025
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Vincent
              Who is the player? Or is it just a used helmet?
              I'm guessing the helmet is his from when he was a kid?

Comment

• gorilla777
                • Aug 2009

1999 Derek Jeter - 50th Career Home Run bat:

The block letter variety bats are tough finds anymore for Jeter and the '99 with MLB logo are from a short time period. He signed his signature contract in mid June with LVS, so they were used just the first few months of that season. This one, with provenance to the 50th home run of his career in Philadelphia, comes from possibly his best season.

Ben
                Attached Files

Comment

• bat_master
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by gorilla777
                  1999 Derek Jeter - 50th Career Home Run bat:

The block letter variety bats are tough finds anymore for Jeter and the '99 with MLB logo are from a short time period. He signed his signature contract in mid June with LVS, so they were used just the first few months of that season. This one, with provenance to the 50th home run of his career in Philadelphia, comes from possibly his best season.

Ben
                  Ben,

Awesome bat! That's a tremendous acquisition...a milestone item...HALL OF FAME worthy...and from a HALL OF FAME bound player. It's only fitting that it be owned by a HALL OF FAME class of collector.

With that said...here's a transition from a bat used by a future hall of famer to a pair of cleats worn by a current hall of famer. The most recent addition to the Hall of Fame case in my office is this pair of 1920s cleats worn by Joe Sewell (1977 HOF inductee).

Along with the cleats I also received a letter from Joe Sewell written to the previous owner as well as a gold HOF plaque postcard and the original box addressed by Mr. Sewell to the previous owner (which is who I bought them from).

Joe Sewell was the most difficult man in major league history to strike out. In 7,132 at-bats he struck out only 114 times. He also holds the record for consecutive games without a strikeout, at 115.

Keep your eye on the ball. It’s one of the most basic tenets of hitting, stressed from the first time a young player picks up a bat. Joe Sewell, however, took it to another level. “When I was a boy I’d walk around with a pocket full of rocks or a Coca-Cola top,” Sewell said, “and I can’t remember not being able to hit them with a broomstick handle.”
                  sigpic
                  Tim Byington
                  Hall of Fame Bats
                  tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• hrvatwill
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by yanks12025
                    I'm guessing the helmet is his from when he was a kid?
                    Yes, it's from when I was 19 and played in college. That's what I meant when I said it was from me, I guess that was confusing, sorry. Anyway I thought I'd share it as it's now displayed in my man cave next to the Cutch and Cano....hey, it's game used LOL

Comment

• Nnunnari
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2006

Great pickups Tim & Ben, congrats!

Comment

• GameUsedGR61
                        • Feb 2012

Kirk Muller New Jersey Devils 1985-86 White Set Game Used Jersey (Meigray)

The jersey has been photomatched. The jersey comes with a Meigray LOA and a letter of provenance from Devils goalie and announcer Glenn "Chico" Resch

Comment

• anatfan09
                          • Apr 2009

Possible 1999 Manny Ramirez photo matched Zett bat from the June 19th - June 29th range. Two of these Getty image shots are each from home runs, the style bat also appears on at least two baseball cards as well. I cannot find any photos of Manny using another bat taped this style during 99' or any other "Zett" bats. Any thoughts?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Phil316
                            • May 2013

Killer captain Kirk gamer!

Originally posted by GameUsedGR61
                            Kirk Muller New Jersey Devils 1985-86 White Set Game Used Jersey (Meigray)

The jersey has been photomatched. The jersey comes with a Meigray LOA and a letter of provenance from Devils goalie and announcer Glenn "Chico" Resch

Comment

• PAC
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                              Reid:

I recall the sale that jersey was released in, The Phillies sold two sets of 1977 home and road gamers in mid-1978, with TCMA buying the lot in bulk. TCMA then placed an ad in SCD offering them for sale individually. If I recall correctly, the McGraws were priced t $75 each in the ad. The highest priced gamers in the ad were those of Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt and Greg Luzinski, which were $200 each. Great acquisition!

Dave Miedema
                              $200 for a Schmidt game jersey? What a ripoff, bet that buyer wishes he could get his money back.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                                • Oct 2005

Added another Vizquel bat for my locker. It's the black one, from his White Sox days, got it from Grey Flannel.

Ken
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...