Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exploited HOF Sales..

I'm happy for the newest HOFers but I always think its sad that once the names are released there is a flood of items up for sale with the sellers asking outrageous amounts. The same items they couldn't sell a few months ago are now 3 and 4 times the price.. I guess everyone is chasing that same dollar.

Re: Exploited HOF Sales..

There are a few sad things about this hobby. But just remember it's only a hobby. With those guys it's a buyers market. Wait it out if you can.

It bothers me more when someone dies and people flood the market with this at least it is something positive.

Banned

Not as bad as when an athlete dies and eBay is suddenly flooded with items.

I've heard of some people that gather up a ton of stuff years in advance from guys they THINK will make the hall just so they can make a killing when/if they do. Doesn't always work out like they hoped...

I'm on the selling end of both situations. One item the person had just died and after having it around still I felt a little creeped out having it so I just sold it for what I could to get rid of it. I only made about 10 off it but I undersold it on purpose just to move it and would have probably taken a loss if someone offered.

The current one, I'm selling a HOF item because I want to find something else from another Future HOF for my collection. If rather have a Piazza item then what I'm selling.

Its not exploitation to sell an item at the perceived peak of buyer demand. Its a free market, if someone wants to buy an item at a high price because they are excited, then that is the market value of that item at that time. In this hobby we know that buyers set market prices, if a seller sets a price too high buyers avoid it or offer less.

Are some of the prices laughably high compared to what I would think a reasonable price is... yeah for sure... but that does not make it illegal or immoral or worth complaining about.

I'm against trying to profit off of someone's death (ie if someone begins buying stuff when a guy is announced as having terminal cancer and hold it until the hour of his death to sell it - thats a little scummy in my mind).

But complaining about selling after a positive event is ridiculous. Yeah I want a player I collect to do well and win a world series, win an MVP, win a batting title or homerun title, get inducted to the Hall of Fame, heck even being on dancing with the stars or the like can increase a player's popularity for a couple months... And if someone moves a couple items when the player is at a popularity bubble, that's completely legitimate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    Its not exploitation to sell an item at the perceived peak of buyer demand. Its a free market, if someone wants to buy an item at a high price because they are excited, then that is the market value of that item at that time. In this hobby we know that buyers set market prices, if a seller sets a price too high buyers avoid it or offer less.
    I agree. It is prudent to strike when the iron is hot, when the player has been retired for some time and now is brought back into the media spotlight. As we all know that window of opportunity from excited buyers does not last too long for most HOFers candidates.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post

Are some of the prices laughably high compared to what I would think a reasonable price is... yeah for sure... but that does not make it illegal or immoral or worth complaining about.

I'm against trying to profit off of someone's death (ie if someone begins buying stuff when a guy is announced as having terminal cancer and hold it until the hour of his death to sell it - thats a little scummy in my mind).

But complaining about selling after a positive event is ridiculous. Yeah I want a player I collect to do well and win a world series, win an MVP, win a batting title or homerun title, get inducted to the Hall of Fame, heck even being on dancing with the stars or the like can increase a player's popularity for a couple months... And if someone moves a couple items when the player is at a popularity bubble, that's completely legitimate.
    +Infinity

Just received Lisa's game used list from the Braves with game used items related to Maddux and Glavine.

The Braves prices are ridicules on normal game used items anyway but this takes it to a whole new level of stupid.
    Anyone want a Ball for $500 just because it was used in a game pitched by them?