Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Photo match help for Arod 1996 Gamer

Still looking for a picture of Arod's first HR. Anyone?

$50 for anyone who can photomatch my 1996 Alex Rodriguez Home Run #15 (20th career) Bat

I will pay $50 to the first person that can find me a photomatch for my arod bat. It must be a 100% photomatch. I have searched and searched, but 1996 pictures are very little.

Good luck!

Regards, Topy
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Re: $50 for anyone who can photomatch my 1996 Alex Rodriguez Home Run #15 (20th career) Bat

I believe this is a pretty good match. I'll take that in cash.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: $50 for anyone who can photomatch my 1996 Alex Rodriguez Home Run #15 (20th career) Bat

This is an intersting post. An offer of money to "photomatch" a game used sports item.

hmm...

The Future is... Photomatching?

I have been thinking about the future of the game used sports authentication business. From information I have gathered reading posts on GUU, it appears that Mears and PSA/DNA do mostly competent work, and, although I've never met the guy, there seems to be abundant evidence that an authenticator named Lou Lampson does questionable work at best. In between the good and bad authenticators, there are many companies that proclaim to authenticate game used sports items. Either way, there seems to be a missing component to all of their authentication services: photomatching.

It seems that a natural progression of the authentication business might result in an authentication service that specializes in "Photomatching." While not foolproof, photomatched game used items offer the collector tangible evidence that their item is actually game used. Further, I believe that photomatched game used items will carry a premium in value if they are photomatched. I know this is only one example, but I noticed that a photomatched Gary Sheffield game used bat that recently sold on ebay for $436.00, when nearly identical game used Sheffield bats have sold for nearly half of that price. (the bat was also photomatched to a day when Sheff hit a home run.. against Boston.. so there are other variables in the high hammer price.)

I am aware that photomatching does have its drawbacks, most notably the lack of photos, films and videos available to match vintage game used items. The science of examining nicks, chips, paint marks, stains, rips, tears, ball/seam marks, pinstripes, seams, stitches and buttons in photographs and comparing them to ones seen on actual items like uniforms/jerseys and baseball bats often ends in inconclusivity. Further, photomatching will undoubtedly have many unforeseen drawbacks, and I'm sure the day will come when a doctored photo is discovered to be an accessory to/culprit of a game used item scam.

I do not have any interest in starting a company that specializes in the photomatching of game used sports items, but if anyone does, the domain name "photomatchsports.com" is available to buy.
    Just a thought. Maybe there's a better name.

I would like to add that photomatching seems like a solid way for authenticators (Mears, PSA/DNA) to back up their analyses, especially regarding modern items. The proliferation of digital cameras (cell phones, high-def cameras, etc.) will make the task of photomatching items increasingly easier in the near future. Getty Images is a great starting point, but think of the thousands of other photographs that exist. One case in point: think of the camera flashes that went off when Barry Bonds was swinging for 756.

The capitalist in me knows and accepts the following:
    As a collector, I would pay a premium for an item that is photomatched.
    As a collector who uses (and pays for) authentication services, I would pay a premium to have a game used piece "photomatched."
    If I were a dealer, I would want to obtain photomatches for items I am selling, knowing that photomatched items may sell for more money.

So why is photomatching not more predominant in the Game Used Universe?

Until now, Photomatching is done primarily, if not exclusively, by collectors. And it is time-consuming work. So if anyone out there wants to accept the challenge, photomatching game used sports items could be a lucrative business that helps verify the key component of these sports items we all cherish.

By the way, I couldn't find a photomatch for your A-rod bat.
    For $100 bucks, I might look a little harder, though...
    For $200 bucks, I'll find a match in 48 hours...

See what I mean?

-bscott.

Tony, you should contact the Seattle Times. They very well may have what you are looking for. You could also see if Seattle or Washington has a historical society. I'm sure they too may be able to help you. I am sure finding a photo of that homerun is very do-able...whether or not you can photomatch from it is another question. Good luck.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bscott View Post
    This is an intersting post. An offer of money to "photomatch" a game used sports item.

hmm...

The Future is... Photomatching?

I have been thinking about the future of the game used sports authentication business. From information I have gathered reading posts on GUU, it appears that Mears and PSA/DNA do mostly competent work, and, although I've never met the guy, there seems to be abundant evidence that an authenticator named Lou Lampson does questionable work at best. In between the good and bad authenticators, there are many companies that proclaim to authenticate game used sports items. Either way, there seems to be a missing component to all of their authentication services: photomatching.

It seems that a natural progression of the authentication business might result in an authentication service that specializes in "Photomatching." While not foolproof, photomatched game used items offer the collector tangible evidence that their item is actually game used. Further, I believe that photomatched game used items will carry a premium in value if they are photomatched. I know this is only one example, but I noticed that a photomatched Gary Sheffield game used bat that recently sold on ebay for $436.00, when nearly identical game used Sheffield bats have sold for nearly half of that price. (the bat was also photomatched to a day when Sheff hit a home run.. against Boston.. so there are other variables in the high hammer price.)

I am aware that photomatching does have its drawbacks, most notably the lack of photos, films and videos available to match vintage game used items. The science of examining nicks, chips, paint marks, stains, rips, tears, ball/seam marks, pinstripes, seams, stitches and buttons in photographs and comparing them to ones seen on actual items like uniforms/jerseys and baseball bats often ends in inconclusivity. Further, photomatching will undoubtedly have many unforeseen drawbacks, and I'm sure the day will come when a doctored photo is discovered to be an accessory to/culprit of a game used item scam.

I do not have any interest in starting a company that specializes in the photomatching of game used sports items, but if anyone does, the domain name "photomatchsports.com" is available to buy.
    Just a thought. Maybe there's a better name.

I would like to add that photomatching seems like a solid way for authenticators (Mears, PSA/DNA) to back up their analyses, especially regarding modern items. The proliferation of digital cameras (cell phones, high-def cameras, etc.) will make the task of photomatching items increasingly easier in the near future. Getty Images is a great starting point, but think of the thousands of other photographs that exist. One case in point: think of the camera flashes that went off when Barry Bonds was swinging for 756.

The capitalist in me knows and accepts the following:
    As a collector, I would pay a premium for an item that is photomatched.
    As a collector who uses (and pays for) authentication services, I would pay a premium to have a game used piece "photomatched."
    If I were a dealer, I would want to obtain photomatches for items I am selling, knowing that photomatched items may sell for more money.

So why is photomatching not more predominant in the Game Used Universe?

Until now, Photomatching is done primarily, if not exclusively, by collectors. And it is time-consuming work. So if anyone out there wants to accept the challenge, photomatching game used sports items could be a lucrative business that helps verify the key component of these sports items we all cherish.

By the way, I couldn't find a photomatch for your A-rod bat.
    For $100 bucks, I might look a little harder, though...
    For $200 bucks, I'll find a match in 48 hours...

See what I mean?

-bscott.
    i very much enjoyed your intelligent and thoughtful post bscott - my concern is that i wonder how long it will be before the unscrupulous use available photos to further their nefarious activities. how long it will be before these types mark up a bat, jersey or helmet so that it matches a given photo....

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    I believe this is a pretty good match. I'll take that in cash.
    Wow, arod looks young in that picture (lol)

In the past I have wanted to find a specific picture of an at bat by a hitter or a picture of a pitcher in a particular game. I learned about Getty Images in this forum and found a couple of the pictures I was looking for (but they are so expensive they aren't really affordable) and they didn't have some of the pictures I wanted anyway. So I think the question ARod asked about trying to find the home run picture is of interest to a lot of us. If I wanted to find a picture of a particular player's at bat on say Sept 28 of 2002 (just picking a date out of the air) what sources would you look to find it? I've been able to find one or two pictures that were run in a newspaper, but if they didn't appear in a paper then I thought I was out of luck. Any suggestions for the rest of us?

Meigray takes the time to photomatch uniforms and do a great job...it really doesn't take that much time to do...

Today there would be pictures of a player from almost every game on Getty or somewhere else so it may take some more time to search through all the games...

But really, how long could it possibly take in football?...that's what makes me angry about Lampson's rubber stamp...including preseason and playoffs there can't be more then 10 games that a player wears of a certain color in a season...it's not just trying to match wear, he's not even close on the styles and customizations!!!...and this search wouldn't even take 10 minutes to try and match!!!!!

It looks like he hit is 15th of the year off of Erik Hanson in Toronto on June 25th, 1996. Besides checking the Seattle papers, you could try Toronto as well. Just ask for any A-Rod photos from this specific day. Good luck!

Chris