Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Re: $50 for anyone who can photomatch my 1996 Alex Rodriguez Home Run #15 (20th career) Bat

Just received this email from the Toronto Star:

Anthony:
    I can't help you with the video request - maybe some of the Blue Jays forums around the 'net might yield that.
    i will dig you out a text copy of the article from that day. There is also Pages of the Past, the Star's digital library - i think it costs $4 or something like that to find a page and order it. i will find the page and edition, and put you on to the right person here.
    i'll get back to you.
    Regards,
    Chris Young, associate sports editor

First positive response. Will keep you posted.

Regards, Tony

Re: $50 for anyone who can photomatch my 1996 Alex Rodriguez Home Run #15 (20th career) Bat

this might help or be of help in the future to you

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...home_runs.html

Quote Originally Posted by clinton2828 View Post
    this might help or be of help in the future to you

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...home_runs.html
    Clinton2828, thanks! Pretty cool page. How nice would it have been if I could have clicked on each HR and up comes a picture of video of him hitting that HR.

Regards, Tony

The Daily News link is interesting, and I guess that I have too much time on my hands today (should go and mow the lawn), but I found it interesting that of 11 "milestone" homers that Arod has hit (1, 50, 100, 150...500) he has hit 8 on the road...including 3 in Toronto compared with only 3 in his then-current home park (2 in Seattle, none at home with the Rangers, and "just" # 500 with the Bombers). Ok, I know, who cares? I'll go and start my yard work.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Well, I got somewhat lucky. I have the newspaper from the following day of this game. Toronto Star also sent me the writeup via email:

Toronto looked dead in the water after starter Erik Hanson coughed up
    a 6-1 lead, the big blow being a three-run homer off Windows restaurant
    by 20- year-old Seattle up-and-comer Alex Rodriguez. Reliever Bill
    Risley gave up the go-ahead run and appeared on his way to a 7-6 defeat
    with the Jays down to their last two outs.

Newspaper from the game is on it's way

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Newspaper from the game is on it's way
    Forgot attachments
    Attached Images Attached Images    

MEARS & I ask for GUU's opinion/help

Scenario: I sent my 1996 Rawlings Alex Rodriguez Game Used HR #15 Bat to MEARS for a detailed authentication letter. I provided MEARS with the following:

AROD Authenticated Letter of Authenticity signed by Alex Rodriguez, which reads: I, Alex Rodriguez, hereby verify that this 460B Black Rawlings was the bat I used on June 25, 1996 when I hit my 15th homerun of the season, which was my 20th career homerun. This homerun was hit against the Toronto Blue Jays off of Erik Hanson.

Letter from Rawlings Bat Company, which reads: Per our records, 12 Rawlings/Adirondack Model 460B bats were made for Mr. Rodriguez during the 1996 season.

The Toronto Star Sports Newspaper dated 26 June 1996, which reads: Toronto looked dead in the water after starter Erik Hanson coughed up a 6-1 lead, the big blow being a three-run homer of windows restaurant by 20-year old Seattle up-and-comer Alex Rodriguez. The box score also reflects he hit HR #15 of the season.

Baseball Almanac, which reflects he hit HR#15 off of Erik Hanson in Toronto on this date.

Signature on the bat was authenticated and consistent with his circa 1996 style signatures (meaning this wasn’t added at a later date)

When I received the MEARS LOO, I was satisfied with the detailed job they did with the write-up, with the following exception (statement in the LOO): MEARS conducted an attempt to photo matching the bat and at the time of the letter printing, (November 11, 2008) no available image of AROD with a black Rawlings bat could be found. Available images from the approximate timeframe, but not the June 25th, 1996 were available for our review. They showed Arod using a Black Louisville Slugger, but we had no success in our attempt to exactly photo match the date of the game with Arod using a Rawlings bat.

With the solid documentation provided with this bat, I don’t see a need to have to mention a photo match was attempted and could not be made.

I asked Troy to remove the statement from the LOO, due to the documentation provided. In this case, I don’t see a photo match being a must to authenticate this bat. If he found a photo match during his authentication process, then add it. However, in this case, all documentation provided, including a detailed letter from Arod himself, which matches the Baseball Almanac and the Toronto Star Newspaper, is a 100% documented and authenticated bat, as MEARS LOO states.

My argument to Troy is:

• Not every pitch, at bat, inning, or game is photographed or videotaped.
    • In 1996, finding pictures are minimal compared to today.
    • Documentation (specific details) was provided by Arod himself.
    And again, documentation provided is sufficient to authenticate the bat. Why the need mention you can’t find a photo match? I told Troy, if I submitted the bat for authentication with no documentation, then I can understand.

I told Troy I would take my argument to GUU and he agreed.

I’m not slamming Troy or MEARS. I had two bats authenticated by MEARS and the service has been great! I just disagree having to put a statement in the LOO that a photo match couldn’t be found. Especially with all documentation provided him with the bat.

Look forward to hearing your opinions and comments.

Regards, Tony

Banned

Re: MEARS & I ask for GUU's opinion/help

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    When I received the MEARS LOO, I was satisfied with the detailed job they did with the write-up, with the following exception (statement in the LOO): MEARS conducted an attempt to photo matching the bat and at the time of the letter printing, (November 11, 2008) no available image of AROD with a black Rawlings bat could be found. Available images from the approximate timeframe, but not the June 25th, 1996 were available for our review. They showed Arod using a Black Louisville Slugger, but we had no success in our attempt to exactly photo match the date of the game with Arod using a Rawlings bat.

With the solid documentation provided with this bat, I don’t see a need to have to mention a photo match was attempted and could not be made.

I asked Troy to remove the statement from the LOO, due to the documentation provided. In this case, I don’t see a photo match being a must to authenticate this bat. If he found a photo match during his authentication process, then add it. However, in this case, all documentation provided, including a detailed letter from Arod himself, which matches the Baseball Almanac and the Toronto Star Newspaper, is a 100% documented and authenticated bat, as MEARS LOO states.

My argument to Troy is:

• Not every pitch, at bat, inning, or game is photographed or videotaped.
    • In 1996, finding pictures are minimal compared to today.
    • Documentation (specific details) was provided by Arod himself.
    Tony, I am confused, you state that not every pitch, at bat or inning is was photographed or videotaped in 1996?

I am pretty sure every pitch, at bat, inning and game was in some part photographed and for all part videotaped for television broadcast and re-broadcast.

I do not know why Troy decided to mention the lack of a photo-match, but I guess they were just being through.

What final grade did they offer your bat?

Re: MEARS & I ask for GUU's opinion/help

with all the supporting documentation that you have with the piece the mention of the lack of photomatch will not hurt the item in my opinion. the LOO can always be updated in the future if I understand their policy correctly. great piece Tony !
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !