1996 Alex Rodriguez Game Used & Signed HR #15 Bat

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeneas01
    • May 2007

Re: $50 for anyone who can photomatch my 1996 Alex Rodriguez Home Run #15 (20th career) Bat

Originally posted by bscott
    This is an intersting post. An offer of money to "photomatch" a game used sports item.

hmm...

The Future is... Photomatching?

I have been thinking about the future of the game used sports authentication business. From information I have gathered reading posts on GUU, it appears that Mears and PSA/DNA do mostly competent work, and, although I've never met the guy, there seems to be abundant evidence that an authenticator named Lou Lampson does questionable work at best. In between the good and bad authenticators, there are many companies that proclaim to authenticate game used sports items. Either way, there seems to be a missing component to all of their authentication services: photomatching.

It seems that a natural progression of the authentication business might result in an authentication service that specializes in "Photomatching." While not foolproof, photomatched game used items offer the collector tangible evidence that their item is actually game used. Further, I believe that photomatched game used items will carry a premium in value if they are photomatched. I know this is only one example, but I noticed that a photomatched Gary Sheffield game used bat that recently sold on ebay for $436.00, when nearly identical game used Sheffield bats have sold for nearly half of that price. (the bat was also photomatched to a day when Sheff hit a home run.. against Boston.. so there are other variables in the high hammer price.)

I am aware that photomatching does have its drawbacks, most notably the lack of photos, films and videos available to match vintage game used items. The science of examining nicks, chips, paint marks, stains, rips, tears, ball/seam marks, pinstripes, seams, stitches and buttons in photographs and comparing them to ones seen on actual items like uniforms/jerseys and baseball bats often ends in inconclusivity. Further, photomatching will undoubtedly have many unforeseen drawbacks, and I'm sure the day will come when a doctored photo is discovered to be an accessory to/culprit of a game used item scam.

I do not have any interest in starting a company that specializes in the photomatching of game used sports items, but if anyone does, the domain name "photomatchsports.com" is available to buy.
    Just a thought. Maybe there's a better name.

I would like to add that photomatching seems like a solid way for authenticators (Mears, PSA/DNA) to back up their analyses, especially regarding modern items. The proliferation of digital cameras (cell phones, high-def cameras, etc.) will make the task of photomatching items increasingly easier in the near future. Getty Images is a great starting point, but think of the thousands of other photographs that exist. One case in point: think of the camera flashes that went off when Barry Bonds was swinging for 756.

The capitalist in me knows and accepts the following:
    As a collector, I would pay a premium for an item that is photomatched.
    As a collector who uses (and pays for) authentication services, I would pay a premium to have a game used piece "photomatched."
    If I were a dealer, I would want to obtain photomatches for items I am selling, knowing that photomatched items may sell for more money.

So why is photomatching not more predominant in the Game Used Universe?

Until now, Photomatching is done primarily, if not exclusively, by collectors. And it is time-consuming work. So if anyone out there wants to accept the challenge, photomatching game used sports items could be a lucrative business that helps verify the key component of these sports items we all cherish.

By the way, I couldn't find a photomatch for your A-rod bat.
    For $100 bucks, I might look a little harder, though...
    For $200 bucks, I'll find a match in 48 hours...

See what I mean?

-bscott.
    i very much enjoyed your intelligent and thoughtful post bscott - my concern is that i wonder how long it will be before the unscrupulous use available photos to further their nefarious activities. how long it will be before these types mark up a bat, jersey or helmet so that it matches a given photo....
    robert

Comment

• 3arod13
      • Apr 2006

Re: $50 for anyone who can photomatch my 1996 Alex Rodriguez Home Run #15 (20th career) Bat

Originally posted by Yankwood
      I believe this is a pretty good match. I'll take that in cash.
      Wow, arod looks young in that picture (lol)
      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• cjclong
        • Feb 2006

In the past I have wanted to find a specific picture of an at bat by a hitter or a picture of a pitcher in a particular game. I learned about Getty Images in this forum and found a couple of the pictures I was looking for (but they are so expensive they aren't really affordable) and they didn't have some of the pictures I wanted anyway. So I think the question ARod asked about trying to find the home run picture is of interest to a lot of us. If I wanted to find a picture of a particular player's at bat on say Sept 28 of 2002 (just picking a date out of the air) what sources would you look to find it? I've been able to find one or two pictures that were run in a newspaper, but if they didn't appear in a paper then I thought I was out of luck. Any suggestions for the rest of us?

Comment

• lund6771
          • Dec 2006

Meigray takes the time to photomatch uniforms and do a great job...it really doesn't take that much time to do...

Today there would be pictures of a player from almost every game on Getty or somewhere else so it may take some more time to search through all the games...

But really, how long could it possibly take in football?...that's what makes me angry about Lampson's rubber stamp...including preseason and playoffs there can't be more then 10 games that a player wears of a certain color in a season...it's not just trying to match wear, he's not even close on the styles and customizations!!!...and this search wouldn't even take 10 minutes to try and match!!!!!

Comment

• staindsox
            • Jun 2006

It looks like he hit is 15th of the year off of Erik Hanson in Toronto on June 25th, 1996. Besides checking the Seattle papers, you could try Toronto as well. Just ask for any A-Rod photos from this specific day. Good luck!

Chris
            Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by staindsox
              It looks like he hit is 15th of the year off of Erik Hanson in Toronto on June 25th, 1996. Besides checking the Seattle papers, you could try Toronto as well. Just ask for any A-Rod photos from this specific day. Good luck!

Chris
              Chris and everyone else...thanks for the comments and help. Will let you know if I get lucky.

Regards, Tony
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Canseco44
                • Dec 2006

It is not a photo, but I just had luck getting a game on DVD from the Devil Rays. I contacted them trying to get game footage of Canseco's 400th Homerun on April 14, 1999. Not only did they respond the same day, they are burning me a DVD for free. You might try contacting either one of the teams about a video of that game. You might could get a match from the video. Hope it helps. Just go to their website and there is usually a link to video or archives.

Todd Ricks
                Todd Ricks
                www.freewebs.com/canseco44
                Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
                Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Canseco44
                  It is not a photo, but I just had luck getting a game on DVD from the Devil Rays. I contacted them trying to get game footage of Canseco's 400th Homerun on April 14, 1999. Not only did they respond the same day, they are burning me a DVD for free. You might try contacting either one of the teams about a video of that game. You might could get a match from the video. Hope it helps. Just go to their website and there is usually a link to video or archives.

Todd Ricks
                  Todd, thanks! Hey, did you see the ebay auciton with the Canseco Rookie Game Used Bat, jersey, etc. for only $650? No bids. Any good?
                  Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• Canseco44
                    • Dec 2006

Yes I did and would love to have it. Only problem is NO Dinero. I just spent my money on a game used 2000 World Series Canseco Bat, 2000 World Series Batting Gloves, and his game issued 1999 All Star Jersey. Have you checked out any of the teams websites yet?

Todd Ricks
                    Todd Ricks
                    www.freewebs.com/canseco44
                    Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
                    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Canseco44
                      Yes I did and would love to have it. Only problem is NO Dinero. I just spent my money on a game used 2000 World Series Canseco Bat, 2000 World Series Batting Gloves, and his game issued 1999 All Star Jersey. Have you checked out any of the teams websites yet?

Todd Ricks
                      I just emailed Seattle and Toronto, so I'll wait and see what happens. I'm all for photomatching. Many that I see in this forum, are tough. I think when you have to look so hard to convince yourself it's a match, most likely it's not.

My favorite photomatches in this forum was a Viking Jersey pounded with mud and use and a quarterbacks jersey that had blood on the front. Both photomatched beautifully.
                      Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• cjw
                        • Oct 2006

3arod13...did you contact the Toronto Star, Sun, Globe and Mail etc.? If you have trouble, pls let me know. I grew up in Toronto and just moved West. I have a great group of buddies that collect game used baseball items and live downtown that would reach out to the photo editors of the various papers if you need?

chris
                        WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• 3arod13
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cjw
                          3arod13...did you contact the Toronto Star, Sun, Globe and Mail etc.? If you have trouble, pls let me know. I grew up in Toronto and just moved West. I have a great group of buddies that collect game used baseball items and live downtown that would reach out to the photo editors of the various papers if you need?

chris
                          Chris,

I contacted the Blue Jays and here's the response. I just need to find those links/websites/points of contact and go from there.

Your best bet are the major Toronto dailies and their paid photo archives.

Our team photographer here limits his shotting almost exclusively to our own players.

Start with the Star and / or the Sun...and move on to the Globe & Mail and the Canadian Press if need be

Godd luck!

Will Hill
                          Director, Guest Services & Fan Experience Toronto Blue Jays & Rogers Centre
                          Direct: 416 341-1552
                          Mobile: 416 564-1834
                          Email: will.hill@bluejays.com
                          Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                            • Oct 2005

3arod13 - Good luck with north of the border. I tried for 2 weeks to get a video copy of a Yanks/Jays game from this year and got shut out. The Jays told me to call Rogers Sportsnet snice it was their video. Rogers told me that the Jays owned the video and I needed to get it from them.

Who's on first, eh?

Comment

• 3arod13
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
                              3arod13 - Good luck with north of the border. I tried for 2 weeks to get a video copy of a Yanks/Jays game from this year and got shut out. The Jays told me to call Rogers Sportsnet snice it was their video. Rogers told me that the Jays owned the video and I needed to get it from them.

Who's on first, eh?
                              I emailed the Toronato Star, Sun, and Globe & Mail requesting pictures, video, newpaper from that game, etc.

Will keep you posted if I have any luck. I can definately use the $50 finders fee (lol)
                              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• zonker
                                • Sep 2006

hey arod the item's are good and it's funny i guess because i'm a new seller old buyer, but new seller. that people are hesitant to buy but there are 26 watcher's. i guess they think if no one bid's the price will go down, but the only place it will go is back down in my collection. i listed it for less than i paid for it. i'm just trying to sell some item's to finish my daughters 65 mustang for her. it's her senior year, so she's getting impatiant. just thought i would mention as i was reading this thread.

Comment

Working...