Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Chicago White Sox Soxfest

I had the pleasure of meeting Sox pitcher Erik Johnson today. He was on campus taking care of some business. Nice young man. Hopefully he makes the starting rotation. I'll be rooting for him!

Quote Originally Posted by salukidave View Post
    The guy who grabs a bunch of jerseys right away is from Ballpark Heroes. I guess everyone can do the same thing, but, in my opinion, the Sox shouldn't allow him to do this right away. 1) He's buying to resell. 2) I'm sure he's getting some kind of deal on them so he's costing White Sox Charities money.
    That was my guess after seeing several jerseys they put on eBay yesterday. I don't know how the Sox would be able to control who buys the items, unless they put a limit to everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 35th&Shields View Post
    He does look like Mr. Incredible though. Lol..

Honestly, I wish the Sox would change that format at there sales. I would like to see a silent/live auction. All 3 days. Gives everybody a fair shot and lets the collectors dictate pricing. Its not like all the stuff they put out there on the racks gets sold. They know and we know what the hot items are and worth auctioning??
    I would prefer that, specially if they had the GU sale in a separate area where you could go in without buying a Soxfest ticket. Even better for me would be if they did what the Tigers does and sell most of their items on an online auction. Or at least like the Braves or Royals, although I understand that the Royals will be moving to an online platform this year.

Would be Nice! Stole the idea from the Blackhawks convention. They have a live auction shortly after the doors open then a display table with tons of used equipment and jerseys placed for bid that goes live around 6pm.

Quote Originally Posted by salukidave View Post
    The guy who grabs a bunch of jerseys right away is from Ballpark Heroes. I guess everyone can do the same thing, but, in my opinion, the Sox shouldn't allow him to do this right away. 1) He's buying to resell. 2) I'm sure he's getting some kind of deal on them so he's costing White Sox Charities money.

I feel for you regarding the signature Thome put on your bat. The Greatest Human Being On The Planet is often an ass when it comes to signing stuff. He makes all these little judgements about people and then signs accordingly. He didn't give me a #25 either, but it really didn't matter to me because I had him sign just a magazine. But he was sizing up people throughout his session Sunday. Sometimes he would get ticked off for whatever reason. One woman who didn't receive a #25 from him (I believe it was on a generic bat) returned to the table and asked him to add it. He complied, but was clearly not happy to do it.

If you ask me, Thome is a phoney.
    I was dropping some things off at a hotel in the western burbs a few years ago for a charity event, when I saw some guys bringing in a ton of White Sox memorabilia into a separate room. I looked into the room and Thome was signing all of the memorabilia. I wasn't collecting at that time, but a friend of mine is a huge Sox fan. I walked into the room and asked one of the guys if I could get something signed for my friend. He said it was up to Jim. I explained that I was a major Cubs fan, but that my friend was a huge Sox fan. Jim was more than happy to sign a couple of items for him. It's a shame that your experience wasn't as positive. Sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th&Shields View Post
    Would be Nice! Stole the idea from the Blackhawks convention. They have a live auction shortly after the doors open then a display table with tons of used equipment and jerseys placed for bid that goes live around 6pm.

I was at the Cubs Convention a couple of weekends ago and they have a section for game used items, many of which are pretty reasonably priced with a good selection, plus they had live auctions on Friday and Saturday. The live auctions were very fun and they had a lot of quality uniforms there like Castro, Lake, Rizzo, Samardzija, etc. it's a shame that there wasn't the same selection at Sox Fest.

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    Thome svigned a perfect signiture with the #25 inscribed for the girl behind me but gave me this.
    This is why I don't get my gamers signed anymore. Seemed like a bad signature or a pen malfunction almost every time for me.

Personally I have gotten thomes sig about a dozen times and always got a clean sig and 8 of them came with the #. This was my first bad signiture from him so I can't be to ticked. I think it just rubs me the wrong way when they pick and choose. It was only a BP bat so I will wait and pay for his sig to get on my black gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by esigs View Post
    That was my guess after seeing several jerseys they put on eBay yesterday. I don't know how the Sox would be able to control who buys the items, unless they put a limit to everyone?
    It sucks when 1 or 2 people buy tons of items, but I guess that's just how it works unfortunately. If you have the money to do so, then I guess there isn't too much you can do about it, even tho you know they are just buying to make profit.

If it was someone that spent $2,500 worth of goodies for their personal collection, then thats a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier39 View Post
    It sucks when 1 or 2 people buy tons of items, but I guess that's just how it works unfortunately. If you have the money to do so, then I guess there isn't too much you can do about it, even tho you know they are just buying to make profit.

If it was someone that spent $2,500 worth of goodies for their personal collection, then thats a different story.

I wonder if they could limit the number of jerseys that someone checks out with at any one time. While that wouldn't completely solve the problem, it might by fans and collectors a little bit of extra time.