Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Balentien's HR record in Japan

Well I live in Japan, and I've never met a Japanese person who claimed NPB is on par with MLB. Certainly everyone is proud of Nomo, Matsui, Ichiro, Kuroda, Darvish, etc, but they are equally embarrassed about Igawa, Irabu, Daisuke, Nakajima...

Wondering now about Tanaka...

Re: Balentien's HR record in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Well I live in Japan, and I've never met a Japanese person who claimed NPB is on par with MLB. Certainly everyone is proud of Nomo, Matsui, Ichiro, Kuroda, Darvish, etc, but they are equally embarrassed about Igawa, Irabu, Daisuke, Nakajima...

Wondering now about Tanaka...
    Exactly. I still don't know who these people are that Roady says claim NPB to be on par with MLB. Igawa was awful when he pitched in Japan, though. From 2004-2006, he was averaging a HR per 9. 2004 was the only year in his career where he had more than a K per inning. As for the others, I don't know. Matsuzaka had three good years when he arrived, and he *should* have been expected to have "dead arm" due to pitching 240 innings as a 20-yr-old (588 innings from 18-20). Irabu was awful, but his K:BB ratio was basically the same in NPB and MLB, so he should have been expected to still suck.