Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet from AFL Championship Game??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bgakladd
    • Dec 2007

Re: Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet from AFL Championship Game??

Thank you. I can remember my first football card, a Daryle Lamonica 1970 3-D card pulled from a box of Corn Flakes. I was hooked on Lamonica and the Raiders ever since. Never thought I would ever own one of his helmets. Should I leave the helmet as is or can it be restored by someone like HelmetHut to put back the parts that are missing? I myself have no problems keeping it like it is but would like to see a facemask put back on....open for suggestions.

Comment

• Phil316
      • May 2013

Nice piece. I would leave it untouched. If anything try and find the year and style facemask.

Comment

• yosef777
        • Apr 2009

Fantastic piece and quite rare to see a RAC K2 with all its Aero Cell padding intact! I would recommend that IF you do anything to it, restoration wise, make sure it is reversible and not a permanent change. Things like adding a vintage, two bar face mask but using the drill holes already there or snapping in a pair of well worn, leather jaw pads would be considered reversible and would not affect value in the long term.

Comment

• JDubbs73
          • Dec 2011

I agree. If you can find vintage replacement parts and not disturb the integrity of the helmet, then go for it. Just always bear in mind that it's an amazing piece "as is".

Comment

• tom1315
            • Mar 2008

Incredible pickup! Very nice gamer. I echo what one other said…if you can work with Curtis at Helmet Hut…find the correct face mask and clips for the period and use the existing holes for mounting I'd do so. For me a helmet without a face mask is like wearing a undershirt (t-shirt) without my dress shirt…maybe a silly analogy but for me…something is missing on a helmet without the face mask.

Again congrats on a very nice addition to your collection and l love the photos you've found too!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

Comment

• bgakladd
              • Dec 2007

Found something I didn't see before on the striping on back, there is an outline of the number 3 on the black stripe between the 2 rear rivets. The number 3 outline is 2" tall and 3/8" thick. Hard to get a good pic to show what I'm talking about but why would Lamonica have a number back there? The photo that I put at the beginning of this post that is black and white kinda shows what looks like a white number. It is against the Jets in 1968. Anybody got any ideas? Also looks like the side decals were replaced at one time and lowered a little bit, faint outline is visible. Remember it has the 1968 date in the helmet and photo matching for the 1969 year with the little Raider decal on front. The number on the back stripe confuses me. Need help, anybody know why??

Comment

• bgakladd
                • Dec 2007

Wow, never knew, he did wear a white-ish colored number on the back. Found a 1968 Raider-Jets regular season game from November 17, 1968.
                Attached Files

Comment

• bgakladd
                  • Dec 2007

I didn't even see the area where the decal was pulled back and fresher silver paint area off to the left of the black decal where the number 3 was. Has 2 distinct decal edge line impression. Almost positive it is the 1968 Heidi game helmet. If so, wow.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• akrover
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by bgakladd
                    Almost positive it is the 1968 Heidi game helmet. If so, wow.
                    Understatement of the century

Not many scores better than this.

Comment

• genius
                      • Aug 2007

If you're a Raiders fan, don't sell it! If you're not...$$$$$$$$! Either way, congratulations again on a once-in-a-lifetime score!

Comment

• bgakladd
                        • Dec 2007

Another photo of the Daryle Lamonica 1968-1969 game worn Oakland Raiders helmet. Here is a little bit better pic of the decal marks that are like the location of the decal he is wearing in the Heidi game photo from November 17, 1968. The glue residue is clearly there and parts of the #3 are very visible on the black tape when the helmet is seen in person. The highlight games with this helmet seem to be the Heidi game against the Jets and AFL playoffs in 1968 and the little Raiders decal added in 1969 with noteable games with Buffalo (6 TD passes) and also the 1969 AFL playoffs, with an MVP year in 1969.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• miracleonice80
                          • Feb 2011

Wow....cool! Awesome Raider relic!

Comment

• bgakladd
                            • Dec 2007

It took awhile, but I finally got the 1968-69 Daryle Lamonica Oakland Raiders football helmet back in shape. Thanks to Curtis at HelmetHut for some of the parts I needed! Looks just like the day he last wore it. Now to decide what to do with it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• speedkills21
                              • Dec 2013

bgakladd send me an email at lsraider@bellsouth.net

Comment

• steelerman_7
                                • May 2014

Not a Raiders fan, but what an unbelievable piece of history! Congrats on the purchase. I am still waiting for the day I run into something like that!!!

Comment

Working...