Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How lazy are MLB auth. getting?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    I can't speak for any Sox jerseys, but Cards jerseys were auth specifically after NLCS gm 6 and WS gm 2 and 4 from what I've seen. There were some road postseason jerseys auth, but they do not show up in the system. I was told they were probably done during the NLCS as well. The jerseys that were auth to specific games do show obvious use although I was confused by the Wong WS gm 4 jersey that didn't show dirt stains on the front as he was picked off to end the game and did make contact with the ground. It all seems very haphazard to me at the most important games of the season.
    If the Wong jersey does not show stains, I would think it could have been the one he wore during Game 5. Seems like a lot of confusion.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

That *is* lazy, but not inconsistent with the usual practice.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that many Nats 2012 postseason items contain entries for multiple specific games used returned for a singe hologram. (For example, home jerseys used in all three home games). There seems to be no reason why the Cards couldn't have done the same.

Here is a video back from 2012 from the head of the Astros Authentics Mike Acosta on how MLB Authentication is done specifically from an Astros perspective. I will say Mike is a stickler for the details and he takes pride in making sure the descriptions are accurate and he get as many detail as possible.
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v22681433/mike-acosta-on-his-job-as-astros-authenticator

An article interviewing Mike Acosta about MLB Authentication and here is highlights of that article.

A few years ago MLB merged the authentication program partially into the security program. Previously an accounting company such as Price Waterhouse Coopers handled authentication, but MLB recruited local police officers to become authenticators and expand the program. Now they sit as witnesses to all items that are used in a game.
    I have worked with authenticators since the program’s inception. In fact I have worked on all team collections since my first season in 1999. We have four rotating authenticators from the Houston Police Department that work on behalf of Major League Baseball.
    My job is to manage what we collect from a game and make sure they know all the details for a certain item. Game-used collectibles have been very popular and became another revenue source for teams around the league. In 2009 we joined the group of teams selling authentic game-used merchandise and branded it to our team.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...al-game-action

It's amazing to see the wide gap between different teams efforts in this aspect. Those of you that know me know what I am talking about.

I have a road Cards WS jersey, and it was authenticated to game 2, but it's clearly been washed and worn for more than that game. In fact I've photomatched it to game 6 with buckling of the numbers. My bet is they only bothered with authentication on jerseys 3 times for the Cards jerseys- one each for the home white, home alt and road gray. It doesn't look like there was any specific jersey authentication done on Cards jerseys for games 1, 5 and 6. Just my guess though... I said before, it may take extra research to determine when your jersey was worn, as the authentication doesn't seem to be 100% telling of the exact number of games the jersey was worn.

Quote Originally Posted by cruwet View Post
    I have a road Cards WS jersey, and it was authenticated to game 2, but it's clearly been washed and worn for more than that game. In fact I've photomatched it to game 6 with buckling of the numbers. My bet is they only bothered with authentication on jerseys 3 times for the Cards jerseys- one each for the home white, home alt and road gray. It doesn't look like there was any specific jersey authentication done on Cards jerseys for games 1, 5 and 6. Just my guess though... I said before, it may take extra research to determine when your jersey was worn, as the authentication doesn't seem to be 100% telling of the exact number of games the jersey was worn.
    Can I ask where is the authentication sticker located? If it's on the back number I'd be surprised if it was used in game 6 but is possible. Generally, they are pulled the game they are authenticated in as I remember seeing dirt stains on some that were auctioned. I'm guessing if it was washed before then it was worn in game 1 as well.

The sticker is on the front majestic tagging/label. The authentication date was in December. Not sure, but for the jerseys that show wear and were pulled right off the field, wasn't the authentication date that very night & not months later (in December?). Are there any cases of the roads specifically showing right off the field wear?

Quote Originally Posted by cruwet View Post
    The sticker is on the front majestic tagging/label. The authentication date was in December. Not sure, but for the jerseys that show wear and were pulled right off the field, wasn't the authentication date that very night & not months later (in December?). Are there any cases of the roads specifically showing right off the field wear?
    You are correct on the dates. I know the NLCS gm 6 jerseys were authenticated to that date and were unwashed. I know the Beltran WS gm 2 was auth in Dec also, but it has stains on the front. Those were not dirt stains though so it could've very well been worn later too. What a confusing mess! Shouldn't be this hard! MLB needs to adopt more uniform standards especially in these most important games.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    You are correct on the dates. I know the NLCS gm 6 jerseys were authenticated to that date and were unwashed. I know the Beltran WS gm 2 was auth in Dec also, but it has stains on the front. Those were not dirt stains though so it could've very well been worn later too. What a confusing mess! Shouldn't be this hard! MLB needs to adopt more uniform standards especially in these most important games.
    Agreed 100%! I might understand regular season gamers not having precise dates for all games worn, but for the World Series?! No idea why there wasn't a better effort to log the jerseys on a game by game basis.