Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prichmond
    • Mar 2010

Reggie Jackson rookie number

I just got a photo in the mail of the 1967 K.C. A's. the player I believe is Reggie is wearing number 34. can any one confirm or deny that? Baseball reference doesn't list that number for him

thanks

pete
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Re: Reggie Jackson rookie number

Originally posted by prichmond
    I just got a photo in the mail of the 1967 K.C. A's. the player I believe is Reggie is wearing number 34. can any one confirm or deny that? Baseball reference doesn't list that number for him

thanks

pete
    According to baseball-almanac.com, Reggie wore #31 during his September 1867 call-up. #34 was worn by Ramon Webster, a backup 1B.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• ironmanfan
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by prichmond

thanks

pete
      Can you post a scan of this photo?

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

A 1967 Kansas City Athletics roster with with player stats, uniform numbers, salaries, and Opening Day data by Baseball Almanac.

The baseball almanac backs up Mr. Miedema's statement.
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• prichmond
          • Mar 2010

here you go. first row on the left hand side. Shure looks like reggie but I could be wrong.
          Attached Files

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

It does look like Reggie. Is this a spring training photo from 67? He could have been issued no. 31 when the season started.
            metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

I found this photo of Reggie wearing no.34 for the Birmingham A's. The photo may have been taken at Rickwood Field in Alabama.
              metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

Here's the photo in the 2011 Mears Auction.
                metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• cfern023
                  • Aug 2012

The Birmingham A's theory may be the right one....

Considering it looks like a B on his ballcap.

Comment

• ironmanfan
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by metsbats
                    http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...entoryid=40409

Here's the photo in the 2011 Mears Auction.
                    there you go....it's not a picture of the 1967 KC Athletics, but rather of their Birmingham AA affiliate (as evidenced by the "B" on their caps)

Comment

• prichmond
                      • Mar 2010

excellent mystery solved my eyes failed me

Comment

• prichmond
                        • Mar 2010

as long as we are at it how many other players can you find. I say rollie fingers is the tall skinny guy in the third row

Comment

• G1X
                          • Nov 2005

I am originally from Birmingham and saw Reggie many times at Rickwood Field in the Summer of 1967. I can confirm that he wore #34 for the Birmingham A's that season. Although known as the Barons during most of their existence, the team was named the A's from 1964 to 1965, and again from 1967 through 1975 when they were the A's farm team (moved to Mobile for one season in 1966).

There are several books on Rickwood Field, and at least one of them has a photo of Reggie in his #34 uniform. I also have a polaroid photo around here somewhere that a friend of mine took of Reggie that year. Below is a photo of Reggie in his uniform and a 1967 team picture that hangs on my basement wall.

For those who are interested, the 1967 team won the Southern League title and then went on to defeat the Texas League champs, Albuquerque, in the Dixie Series. Kansas City A's owner Charles Finley was from Birmingham and he stacked the Birmingham team that year with many of the organization's top prospects along with several vets with major league experience. Also on the team were two other future Hall-of-Famers, Rollie Fingers and Tony LaRussa (bad knee injury that year), along with Joe Rudi, Dave Duncan, Alan Lewis (Finley's first designated runner), Marcel Lachemann, Ken Suarez, Joe Grzenda, Bill Stafford, George Lauzerique (their best pitcher - better than Fingers, but sadly blew his arm out a few years later), Gil Blanco, and a few others who had a cup of coffee in the majors. They even had a future big league manager in John McNamara.

I could tell a bunch of stories about that season, but I will end this by simply saying that it was one of the best summers of my youth!

Mark Hayne
                          Gridiron Exchange

Always looking for World Football League uniforms
                          Attached Files

Comment

• G1X
                            • Nov 2005

Here are the players in the photo:

First Row (L-R): Reggie Jackson #34, Art Miranda #17, Bob Frati #23, George Lauzerique #25, John McNamara #1, Hoss Bowlin #2, (cannot ID #3 - possibly Parke Davisdon), Bob Taylor #29, Mickey Dobbins #5, and Vern Handrahan #18.

Top Row (L-R): Santiago Rosario #21, Bob Guzek #27, Dave Duncan #11, Stan Wojcik #32, Joe Rudi #15, Joe Grzenda #41, Gil Blanco #30, Rollie Fingers #26, Mike Olivo #20, Wayne Norton #24, Marcel Lachemann (can't read his number and can't remember).

Mark Hayne
                            Gridiron Exchange
                            gixc@verizon.net

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by G1X
                              I am originally from Birmingham and saw Reggie many times at Rickwood Field in the Summer of 1967. I can confirm that he wore #34 for the Birmingham A's that season. Although known as the Barons during most of their existence, the team was named the A's from 1964 to 1965, and again from 1967 through 1975 when they were the A's farm team (moved to Mobile for one season in 1966).

There are several books on Rickwood Field, and at least one of them has a photo of Reggie in his #34 uniform. I also have a polaroid photo around here somewhere that a friend of mine took of Reggie that year. Below is a photo of Reggie in his uniform and a 1967 team picture that hangs on my basement wall.

For those who are interested, the 1967 team won the Southern League title and then went on to defeat the Texas League champs, Albuquerque, in the Dixie Series. Kansas City A's owner Charles Finley was from Birmingham and he stacked the Birmingham team that year with many of the organization's top prospects along with several vets with major league experience. Also on the team were two other future Hall-of-Famers, Rollie Fingers and Tony LaRussa (bad knee injury that year), along with Joe Rudi, Dave Duncan, Alan Lewis (Finley's first designated runner), Marcel Lachemann, Ken Suarez, Joe Grzenda, Bill Stafford, George Lauzerique (their best pitcher - better than Fingers, but sadly blew his arm out a few years later), Gil Blanco, and a few others who had a cup of coffee in the majors. They even had a future big league manager in John McNamara.

I could tell a bunch of stories about that season, but I will end this by simply saying that it was one of the best summers of my youth!

Mark Hayne
                              Gridiron Exchange

very cool display. I know Chuck Finley was a very thrifty owner. Do you know if these jerseys were retreads from the majors? thanks for the info.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com
                              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

Working...