Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Thumbs up Re: Piazza/Clemens bat: Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    That is the first time I said he must be on something.
    I would really like to know why he wasn't thrown out of the game and suspended from baseball for throwing a bat barrel at another player.
    Could you imagine if a batter threw his bat at a pitcher?
    It did happen at least once. If I recall correctly, it was early in the 1972 ALCS, Tigers/A's, when Bert Campaneris threw his bat at Tiger reliever Lerrin LaGrow after LaGrow hit him with a pitch. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn, I guy I always felt was weak, did suspend Campaneris for 3 games, but, rather than cause Campy to miss ALCS and WS games, Kuhn delayed the suspension until the opening of the 1973 season.

Dave Miedema

Re: Piazza/Clemens bat: Your thoughts?

So is the thumb down for me or for Clemens or for the incident?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Attached Images Attached Images  

I remember this well and early reports were that both pieces of the bat were given to a reporter from ESPN who was a collector.

The auction house says the barrel of the bat was consigned by Jeff Mangold, who was the Yankees' strength and conditioning coach from 1984-88 and 1998-2006. Mangold took the bat piece after the game that night.

This says the barrel came from the equipment manager which probably means nothing except the original story is wrong and where's the handle?

I can't find the original story where I thought the reporter had it, but will share my story where I put together a 2000 WS display piece from the subway series and a broken game used Piazza bat from the 2000 season with the photo of Clemens throwing the barrel towards Piazza would be the central piece of the display.

I took the bat to Clemens to get him to sign it at a Tri-Star show and his handler didn't want him to sign it at first but Clemens then said and I will paraphrase, "No I want to sign this" and laughed about it.

I then needed Piazza to sign it. A good friend of mine in Atlanta was friends with a Braves player who was buddies with Piazza and he would get it signed for me. Weeks later the bat was returned to me unsigned by Piazza and the message I got was that Piazza refused to sign it with Clemens signature on it. I was concerned for a while there that I wouldn't get the bat back. There you go.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Although I personally would have no interest in the item, I can understand why a Yankee fan or World Series buff would pay big money for the remnants. Two stars -- both arguably on PEDs -- clash in subway WS! A sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I remember this well and early reports were that both pieces of the bat were given to a reporter from ESPN who was a collector.

The auction house says the barrel of the bat was consigned by Jeff Mangold, who was the Yankees' strength and conditioning coach from 1984-88 and 1998-2006. Mangold took the bat piece after the game that night.

This says the barrel came from the equipment manager which probably means nothing except the original story is wrong and where's the handle?

I can't find the original story where I thought the reporter had it, but will share my story where I put together a 2000 WS display piece from the subway series and a broken game used Piazza bat from the 2000 season with the photo of Clemens throwing the barrel towards Piazza would be the central piece of the display.

I took the bat to Clemens to get him to sign it at a Tri-Star show and his handler didn't want him to sign it at first but Clemens then said and I will paraphrase, "No I want to sign this" and laughed about it.

I then needed Piazza to sign it. A good friend of mine in Atlanta was friends with a Braves player who was buddies with Piazza and he would get it signed for me. Weeks later the bat was returned to me unsigned by Piazza and the message I got was that Piazza refused to sign it with Clemens signature on it. I was concerned for a while there that I wouldn't get the bat back. There you go.

Keith Olbermann claims to have the handle.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/20...n-years-after/
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Banned

I think it is an amazing piece of baseball history. World Series, two New York teams, two HOF guys and everybody remembers it. I think anything under $15k is a good buy. It is great conversation piece and there are many creative ways to display the item.

Olberman at one point had the handle, that was once destined for the trash can.

The Barrel is the one for auction, and there is a third piece a fan got but I doubt anyone knows where it is or if the original owner of the third piece knows where he even put it.

Banned

Cool Re: Piazza/Clemens bat: Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    So is the thumb down for me or for Clemens or for the incident?
    The incident...no hard feelings towards you, Roady.

Dave M.