Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Frank Thomas HOF rookie game worn cap

This is why I really enjoy GUU. I can talk to other collectors who have more experience and knowledge then me. I have learned a lot from you guys on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Don't pay attention or give hateful people the satisfaction. This thread is interesting.

yes, it is a thrill to find a gem. I have collected for 40 years and have found one gem in a pile of rocks. I found Mike Schmidt's jersey that he hit his last HR with on May 2, 1989. I saw him at a show and he confirmed it to me. He wondered what had happened to that jersey. He told me he was planning to retire and was saving every jersey in 1989 after he hit a homer but that one disappeared. I even asked him if he wanted it back. but he said no and signed it on the back as his last HR jersey which was really nice.

be proud and I hope Frank gives you the same treatment.

Love that story. It is a great feeling when you know you have a very unique item.

1. The Cap: I can't add to what folks who've seen it have said. It's likely good and I think you should feel about confident as you can without a photo match, which can be difficult with caps.

2. The autograph: I am not an autograph expert, but I think the signature looks good base on other signatures I've seen. Remember, signing the underside of the brim of a baseball cap isn't like signing a nice, smooth paper item or photo. Particularly because of the raised stitching. And items like these are often signed while the player is standing and holding with one hand while signing with the other, sometimes while in a rush. All of this can lead to a signature that's not going to look like a signed photo.

3. Getting the cap signed again: It's your cap, and of course you should do what YOU want with it. If it were mine, I'd keep it as is. Given the assumption that this is Thomas's rookie cap and he has already signed it, probably around the time it was worn, I think it's perfect. You have a vintage signature on a vintage, worn cap, and the signature is on the place I prefer on a cap: underneath the brim. (I like game worn items to appear, for display purposes, exactly as they left the field, while placing any autographs in places that wouldn't have been seen by those watching the game, such as underneath the brim of a cap or down by the tags on a jersey. Different collectors have different preferences concerning this, and your preference is the one that counts for your item.) Overall, I think putting a modern signature on an item like this would detract from its vintage feel.

Thanks icollectdcsports..good info and advise. I think I will keep it as is and bring it with me to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    yes, it is a thrill to find a gem. I have collected for 40 years and have found one gem in a pile of rocks. I found Mike Schmidt's jersey that he hit his last HR with on May 2, 1989. I saw him at a show and he confirmed it to me. He wondered what had happened to that jersey. He told me he was planning to retire and was saving every jersey in 1989 after he hit a homer but that one disappeared. I even asked him if he wanted it back. but he said no and signed it on the back as his last HR jersey which was really nice.

be proud and I hope Frank gives you the same treatment.
    Great story and a testament to your and Schmidt's character.

Stasman, enjoy your cap. I know that excited feeling of getting a holy grail item. And that's why we collect and why there's this message board.
    And 11 pages on his cap is impressive. I had no idea and had to check out what the fuss was about.
    I havent looked at the pics yet and have no dog in this fight. Hate dog fighting. So i will say this. I do find that there are just plain haters, jealous people out there who will call everything fake except their own gear. That essentially they believe that they have the only real stuff or the right connections. They're the ones pushing me away from collecting or sharing. But also on this board there are more people that are just trying to help you out in authenticating it. And don't want you duped when selling or can get a refund etc. Or even expose the fraudulent party. They are well intentioned.
    So congrats to you and your wife on your holy grail!! It's a great feeling.

Thanks steeleraddict.

Quote Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
    3. Getting the cap signed again: It's your cap, and of course you should do what YOU want with it. If it were mine, I'd keep it as is. Given the assumption that this is Thomas's rookie cap and he has already signed it, probably around the time it was worn, I think it's perfect. You have a vintage signature on a vintage, worn cap, and the signature is on the place I prefer on a cap: underneath the brim. (I like game worn items to appear, for display purposes, exactly as they left the field, while placing any autographs in places that wouldn't have been seen by those watching the game, such as underneath the brim of a cap or down by the tags on a jersey. Different collectors have different preferences concerning this, and your preference is the one that counts for your item.) Overall, I think putting a modern signature on an item like this would detract from its vintage feel.
    After reading this post, I am going to change my mind on getting re-signed. I though it would be good to have a signature on the top of the brim with game used but I have agree with this post. It is perfect the way it is.

I agree Roady. I think I'm going to keep it as is too. Especially after the 2 examinations and many positive feedbacks on GUU about the auto.